Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tvguy

Default rca 31

I have been doing electronics for the last 30 years. I have not seen
where the smps had caused his type of problem Unless there was
something I have missed reading in his post. I still would say we
need to know what was wrong with this flyback first before we start
saying other things worng with his set. We need to know why he had
put goop on it. This maybe his only cause of his problem at this
point.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

It may have nothing to do with his problem, but any tech who works on the
ctc169 chassis should know that these caps are a problem waiting to happen
and if they test high in ESR should be changed. It would be poor service
not to give the set a thorough evaluation before suggesting a fix. If he
does not have the equipment to test them, he should at least change the two
caps on the smps controller IC, which are the source of more failures on
these sets than any other.

Some shops don't look for potential problems waiting to happen. We feel
that a complete estimate includes checking the stuff that tend to cause
other problems.

Leonard

"tvguy" wrote in message
. ..
I have been doing electronics for the last 30 years. I have not seen
where the smps had caused his type of problem Unless there was
something I have missed reading in his post. I still would say we
need to know what was wrong with this flyback first before we start
saying other things worng with his set. We need to know why he had
put goop on it. This maybe his only cause of his problem at this
point.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

whence wrote:

So as for discharging dangerous caps, do I need to just short them
with a 1MW resistor? Where is the HOT located?

Where do you find a 1 Million Watt resistor in the first place? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida