Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jo

Default Problem with portable MP3 player

Dear sir/ madam

Since a few months I have got a brandless portable USB-MP3 player, type
"MP-Chart".
The last time I plugged it in the USB port of my computer a
"starting..."-message with an hourglass on the LCD display appeared.
Since that message appeared my computer doesn't recognize the device
anymore. The starting-message won't disappear. Even when I remove the
batteries for a while, or when I turn the MP3 player on and off, or
when I reconnect the device in the USB for a several times, I still see
that frozen message with a non moving hour glass. Unconnected the
message also appears.
The day before the (clinical?) death of my MP3 player I put some files
on the device, but one file was damaged according to the player. I
thought it was just an incompatibility problem because the file worked
on my computer. But when the voice recorder of my MP3 player couldn't
save a file, I deceided to format the memory. After formatting the
device worked without any problems. But not for long...
I use the operating system Windows 2000, and I'm not sure if I
formatted the device in FAT. According tot the manual FAT32 can harm
the memory. But I guess the format program of Windows should give a
message like: "Are you sure you want to format this device in FAT32? It
is another system". I am very sure the problem has nothing to do with
the drivers: the driver is installed and I tried the device in several
computer. Same reaction of Windows. :-(

How can I reset the device? Is it possible that the microcontroller
software is damaged or erased?

Yours faithfully,

Jo Luijten
http://www.students.let.uu.nl/0061026/