Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Thomas Tornblom

Default Converting a laserjet duplexer from 120V to 230V feasible?

I have just bought an old HP Color LaserJet 4500 printer, and I would like
to add a duplexer, to be able to do dual sided printing.

There are several C4083A duplexers on Ebay, but on the ones with
photos I see that they are marked "100-127V 50/60Hz". We use 230V
50Hz, and I wonder if anyone knows if it would be reasonable to modify
it for 230V? I would prefer not having to run a transformer.

Thomas
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Thomas Tornblom wrote:
I have just bought an old HP Color LaserJet 4500 printer, and I would like
to add a duplexer, to be able to do dual sided printing.

There are several C4083A duplexers on Ebay, but on the ones with
photos I see that they are marked "100-127V 50/60Hz". We use 230V
50Hz, and I wonder if anyone knows if it would be reasonable to modify
it for 230V? I would prefer not having to run a transformer.

Thomas

I'd be surprised if the power supply lacked an internal jumper if not an
externally accessible switch to for 120/240V. Even if you had to use a
transformer, the duplexer shouldn't draw much power so it wouldn't
require a very large one.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Thomas Tornblom

James Sweet writes:

Thomas Tornblom wrote:
I have just bought an old HP Color LaserJet 4500 printer, and I would like
to add a duplexer, to be able to do dual sided printing.
There are several C4083A duplexers on Ebay, but on the ones with
photos I see that they are marked "100-127V 50/60Hz". We use 230V
50Hz, and I wonder if anyone knows if it would be reasonable to modify
it for 230V? I would prefer not having to run a transformer.
Thomas

I'd be surprised if the power supply lacked an internal jumper if not
an externally accessible switch to for 120/240V. Even if you had to
use a transformer, the duplexer shouldn't draw much power so it
wouldn't require a very large one.

Yes, that would be my reaction also, but I have seen, on several
products, that products for the US market is 120V only, while the rest
of the world gets switching power supplies that accepts anything from
100 - 250V.

Anyway, the problem has been solved by buying one on the German Ebay
;-) Also makes shipping cheaper and no customs :-)

Thomas