Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter Jackson

Default 32" Philips Magnavox TV 32H800 Chassis - Volume & Power Problems

Hi,
I was given a 32" Philips Magnavox TV back in November. Model: 32PT71
Chassis: 32H800.
My cousin had stopped using it because he said the sound had gone out on
it and it would randomly turn itself on. When I brought it back home I tried
it and it seemed fine to me... worked perfectly. I've been using it ever
since mid Nov. and it hasn't had any problems, until yesterday.

I came in from work and it had turned itself on, picture was fine, but
there was no sound coming from it, the volume display was on the screen and
was maxed out at 99 and it wouldn't go away or let me lower it. Every time I
tried it was like it was fighting back and would go back to 99. I tried
turning it off but it would come back on instantly after shutting down. All
while this was happening the red light on the front of the set was flashing
very fast. I tried unplugging it but it made no difference, it just cut back
on when power was restored. I left it on for a few more minutes and suddenly
it lowered the volume back to where it should be (25) and the sound came
back and the light was steady on. It would now stay turned off as well. It
did however turn on 2 more times during the night, with similar symptoms.

It cut on numerous times today until I finally just pulled the plug. It
would stay off for random amounts of time, anywhere from 5 minutes to an
hour. Sometimes when the sound is out it will have the volume display at 0
and won't let it be changed, other times it will be at 99 like last night.

I'm not wanting to try to fix this myself, but was hoping to get an idea of
what may be wrong and possibly how much it would cost to fix.

I found a code (0,6,2,5,9,6,status) on a message board that lets you access
a hidden menu (maybe a service mode?) where it lists error codes. On one
line it reads:
ERR: 17 0 0 0 0 0 0

and the second line reads:
OPT: 255 190 254 232 208 0 0 0

Hope this very longggggg post makes sense. The TV has a good picture and I
would like to keep it if feasible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Common symptom with a common failure.
Someone prayed glass cleaner on the glass and it dripped down onto the
button assembly and fromt board mounted components. Relatively easy
fix with some care in disassembly.

Take the tv apart and have a look. You probably need to order the
switch assembly and maybe a couple of other small components to fix the
set.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter Jackson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Common symptom with a common failure.
Someone prayed glass cleaner on the glass and it dripped down onto the
button assembly and fromt board mounted components. Relatively easy
fix with some care in disassembly.

Take the tv apart and have a look. You probably need to order the
switch assembly and maybe a couple of other small components to fix the
set.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure that it could be the front switch assembly. Would that cause
there to be no sound even when the volume display is maxed out at 99? I hope
it is something simple like that.

I kept the set unplugged for about three hours yesterday. I restored power
to it about 7:30 PM last night. It didn't turn itself on again until about
5:00 PM today. The sound is very sporadic now, it comes and goes every few
seconds. Sometimes the volume display will appear and change randomly on the
screen (no sound from speakers when this is happening) other times the sound
will just cut in and out with no display appearing.

If there's anyone on here who's from the piedmont of North Carolina (USA)
and knows a good repair shop, I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.

Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Power problems and how to find a good electrician? maddening UK diy 13 October 10th 03 02:18 PM
Magnavox rear projection TV RK8530AK02 - startup problems ToasterKing Electronics Repair 0 September 2nd 03 02:43 AM
RCA Model P61830BL (Chassis PTK 195 BT) Proj. TV standby power problems. David Electronics Repair 0 August 8th 03 04:12 AM