Posted to sci.electronics.repair
russ lavergne

Default Copy a PAL

I have two pal chips. both are the same but one is bad. Can I purchase a
blank one and copy the one good chip onto the new chip or are all Pal chips
copy protected. Here are the numbers on it

BDB219743
Altera
EPM7064LC84-15

Who might sell them and what would I use to copy it if it can be done.

Thanks
Russ

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Urz

russ lavergne wrote:
I have two pal chips. both are the same but one is bad. Can I purchase a
blank one and copy the one good chip onto the new chip or are all Pal chips
copy protected. Here are the numbers on it

BDB219743
Altera
EPM7064LC84-15

Who might sell them and what would I use to copy it if it can be done.

Thanks
Russ

http://www.logicaldevices.com/
http://microcontrollershop.com/produ...roducts_id=333

bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

"russ lavergne" bravely wrote to "All" (17 Jan 06 07:43:53)
--- on the heady topic of "Copy a PAL"

I think that is the whole point of the P in pal. It is a GAL with a
PROM in it. The PROM part means once the fuse gate is blown it can't
be read back again. However, I suppose with a logic analyzer it could
be reverse engineered depending on how complicated it is.

A*s*i*m*o*v

rl From: "russ lavergne"
rl Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:355502

rl I have two pal chips. both are the same but one is bad. Can I
rl purchase a blank one and copy the one good chip onto the new chip or
rl are all Pal chips copy protected. Here are the numbers on it

rl BDB219743
rl Altera
rl EPM7064LC84-15

rl Who might sell them and what would I use to copy it if it can be done.

rl Thanks
rl Russ

.... Letterman of Borg - "Ok, Top 10 reasons why resistance is futile:"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Some old PAL chips, xxVyy-type ones, anyway, will allow their fuse maps
to be read out, but I think there may be a security fuse to disallow
this. I just sold an ancient PAL burner that had a "duplicate" mode.

But I think the altera chip in this case is a few generations newer. I
have no idea how it'd work with this one.

Asimov wrote:
"russ lavergne" bravely wrote to "All" (17 Jan 06 07:43:53)
--- on the heady topic of "Copy a PAL"

I think that is the whole point of the P in pal. It is a GAL with a
PROM in it. The PROM part means once the fuse gate is blown it can't
be read back again. However, I suppose with a logic analyzer it could
be reverse engineered depending on how complicated it is.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

In article Ze1zf.8889$US3.1891@trnddc04, says...

I have two pal chips. both are the same but one is bad. Can I purchase a
blank one and copy the one good chip onto the new chip or are all Pal chips
copy protected. Here are the numbers on it

BDB219743
Altera
EPM7064LC84-15

Ah, yes. The MAX7000 series.

If the security bit has not been set in the original part
(something that's done during initial programming), then it is possible
to read the device and copy it as well.

HOWEVER -- That particular device (and series) are not PALs.
They're far more complex. In fact, that's what leads to their acronymic
name 'CPLD' (Complex Programmable Logic Device).

Reading and programming such devices requires high-end programming
hardware that can handle 84-pin PLCC packages AND CPLD devices. This
combination usually equals a minimum of a four-figure price tag, often
five.

You have another potential problem, one of availability. I've
checked DigiKey, Mouser, Newark, and Allied. None of them have this part
listed in their catalog. Your best bet for obtaining one may be to
contact Altera directly (
www.altera.com) and ask about a sample.

If you lack access to the necessary programming hardware, I offer
programming services at what I believe are very competitive rates.

http://www.bluefeathertech.com/devices.html

Programming/copying for a single such device would run you $22.00,
and that includes free return shipping via USPS Priority Mail.

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

more money David Woodworking 1 December 7th 05 09:36 PM
Dual DVD copy Platinum yarik Electronics Repair 0 October 26th 05 09:01 AM
Dual DVD copy Platinum yarik Electronics Repair 0 October 17th 05 01:28 PM
Craftsman 12"lathe copy crafter [email protected] Woodworking 1 February 20th 05 07:01 PM
For a copy of The Embedded Newsletter Chris Stephens Electronics 0 June 9th 04 12:44 PM