Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default UPS cannot swicth on fast enought

I'm working on a 12v 75AH x 5 (ie 60v) ups hooked up to 10 PCs but
when the mains power
goes off computers go off b4 coming back some times some of them
stays on whiles the rest go off. Can someone tell me what is wrong and
what I can do.
Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
budgie

On 15 Jan 2006 15:13:54 -0800, "
wrote:

I'm working on a 12v 75AH x 5 (ie 60v) ups hooked up to 10 PCs but
when the mains power
goes off computers go off b4 coming back some times some of them
stays on whiles the rest go off. Can someone tell me what is wrong and
what I can do.

If it really IS a UPS then it shouldn't be a case of "switching on fast enough"
- it should be running continuously and supplying the load from the rectified
line input. In that case, I'd suspect the rectifier/battery system voltage is
at fault, allowing the DC in to the inverter to droop when the load is to be
supplied from the battery system. This could also be a battery condition issue.

If the "UPS" in question isn't actually continuously inverting to provide the
output AC, then (without getting involved in a semantic flame war) it is far
from an uninterruptible supply. You can't afford a "short break" on supplying
your load. Get a real one.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Make sure you are not overloading the UPS with the 10 computers.
You need to have a UPS rated for at least 4KVA minimum for 10 pentium
based computers.

Then you also need to make sure that all of the computers are in fact
plugged into battery backed up outlets. Most properly functioning UPSs
that do not run all the time even when ac is present will be off a
maximum of 10 cycles, or 1/6 of a second which is plenty fast enough
for recovery of any computer power supply.

Some server power supplies have an AC sense and will go into a fast
shutdown even if there is an interuption of 1/6 of a second. So you
also need to make sure this feature is disabled on the computers if
they have it or replace the UPS with one that provides full isolation
and is constantly running, like the $8000 ONEAC largest unit.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

You may be overloading the UPS, the batteries may be a bit weak, or the UPS
is not fast enough for your needs. The most common causes of your
description are weak batteries, or the UPS is overloaded.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm working on a 12v 75AH x 5 (ie 60v) ups hooked up to 10 PCs but
when the mains power
goes off computers go off b4 coming back some times some of them
stays on whiles the rest go off. Can someone tell me what is wrong and
what I can do.
Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gerard Bok

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:27:22 +0800, budgie
wrote:

On 15 Jan 2006 15:13:54 -0800, "
wrote:

I'm working on a 12v 75AH x 5 (ie 60v) ups hooked up to 10 PCs but
when the mains power
goes off computers go off b4 coming back some times some of them
stays on whiles the rest go off. Can someone tell me what is wrong and
what I can do.

If it really IS a UPS then it shouldn't be a case of "switching on fast enough"
- it should be running continuously and supplying the load from the rectified
line input.

No. UPS come in 2 flavours: on-line (like you describe) and
off-line (as OP obviously has).

You may only like the on-line variant (and with good reasons,
mostly) the majority of entry level UPS is of the off-line type.
(And even that may be a favourable situation, given their mtbf
:-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Fast recovery cylinder questions KS UK diy 6 April 18th 05 08:36 PM
CH pump - fast or slow? N. Thornton UK diy 2 January 1st 05 01:09 PM
MAKE A LOT OF MONEY, FAST & EASY [email protected] Woodworking 0 December 29th 04 08:57 AM
Money Fast Hellraiser Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 01:03 AM
Hoover 1300 SE Awash performance - no fast spin bengee UK diy 14 April 3rd 04 10:42 AM