Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arnold Stewart

Default Max volume RCA T.V. CTC 187CJ3

RCA TV F32672SB CTC 187CJ3
TV functions normally for days then the volume goes to maximum & no more
control with the remote or buttons. Reprogrammed the EEPROM, checked &
soldered the tuner. TV worked O.K. on the bench for one week. Brought
the TV to the customer. Worked for three days, same problem. Told him to
disconnect TV for a while and re-connect. He said he would call me to
give results. He didn't call back, now a week since, but I suspect he
will. Ever have this problem?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
sofie

the obvious simple thing to look for if it comes back is contamination,
moisture, corrosion, etc on the front panel volume control buttons... or
even bad solder joints around that area. Also have the customer take the
batteries out of the remote control for a few days to make certain that it
is not the remote causing the problem.
electricitym
- - - - - - - - -

"Arnold Stewart" wrote in message
. ..
RCA TV F32672SB CTC 187CJ3
TV functions normally for days then the volume goes to maximum & no more
control with the remote or buttons. Reprogrammed the EEPROM, checked &
soldered the tuner. TV worked O.K. on the bench for one week. Brought
the TV to the customer. Worked for three days, same problem. Told him to
disconnect TV for a while and re-connect. He said he would call me to
give results. He didn't call back, now a week since, but I suspect he
will. Ever have this problem?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

This may seem like a dumb question, but you did have the customers
remote controls (all of them) for testing along with the tv set, didn't
you?

Aside from the obvious occasional liquid corrosion of the front panel
switches, the most common cause of a failure like this that I have seen
is worn out remote controls. Problem is most customers only bring in
the tv set, not the complete package with all the remote controls they
have programmed for the tv set.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arnold Stewart

kip wrote:

Bad tac switches ( contaminated ) or Micro ..

Bad tac switches is a very probable cause, even though the customer has
stated that he has never used them. Always used the remote. (However,I
never asked him how much Windex he used to clean the CRT?)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jason D.

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:23:16 -0500, "kip" wrote:

They don't have to be used to get contaminated.

"Arnold Stewart" wrote in message
m...
kip wrote:

Bad tac switches ( contaminated ) or Micro ..

Bad tac switches is a very probable cause, even though the customer has
stated that he has never used them. Always used the remote. (However,I
never asked him how much Windex he used to clean the CRT?)

Like Kip said, there is many ways to bollix up a tact switches, also
heavy smokers do this nicely. I did several this way.

Cheers, Wizard