Posted to sci.electronics.repair
simon hanlon

Default Have you ever put a can of baked beans in the microwave?

No but I have put a light bulb in and turned it on! very bright for a few
seconds then bang and the bulb has vanished!!
"Joe Provenzano" wrote in message
news:1135157418.289f221b65052063737e4b8d4984cbdd@r oc.usenetexchange.com...
and turned on the microwave?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
distar97

Default .....baked beans in the microwave? Try fluorescents

I would think the metal can will simply reflect the microwaves, having
no effect on the beans.

Fluorescent bulbs work very well. As a gag, I told my wife I developed
a new method of making "cold fusion" work. I put an ordinary rock in a
green plastic pasta strainer. After uttering some techno babble I
pressed the button. The room lite up with a bright green glow pouring
out of the oven. My wife fled the building and didn't speak to me for
days.
She didn't see the round 40W "circle-line" bulb resting inside the
pasta strainer.

If you keep the time short, you won't blow the bulb. More than a few
seconds, things become unpredictable. Hint: You should keep a small cup
of water in the oven to give the waves somewhere to go. I'm a firm
believer of not running my oven "dry". So far, no damage 25 years after
learning this tip.

Dennis H.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS

In article .com, "distar97" wrote:
[...]

Is that the same microwave? Thats one of the first things their suppose
to tell you. When I put together a Heath-Kit oven in 1970, those type of things
were inportant, especially for a $400 microwave kit! That makes me a 35 year microwave user.
Actually my friend had one several years before.

Ho Ho's used to make a nice spectical.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

"distar97" bravely wrote to "All" (22 Dec 05 08:37:12)
--- on the heady topic of " .....baked beans in the microwave? Try
fluorescents"

di From: "distar97"
di Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:352242

di I would think the metal can will simply reflect the microwaves, having
di no effect on the beans. [...]

I think the metal can would concentrate the RF energy on its surface
and discharge it as a high voltage at its sharp edges.

A*s*i*m*o*v