Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N Cook

Default Simple monitor exerciser ?

I'm thinking back to basic testing of dumb terminals and conecting pin 2 and
3 together would echo keyboard to screen.

Google doesn't like the word exerciser.
Is it possible to connect 5V to a pin on the monitor lead to get a blue
screen or something even if not synced to save powering up a pc just to see
if you get any sort of display on the screen?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

N Cook wrote:
I'm thinking back to basic testing of dumb terminals and conecting pin 2 and
3 together would echo keyboard to screen.

Google doesn't like the word exerciser.
Is it possible to connect 5V to a pin on the monitor lead to get a blue
screen or something even if not synced to save powering up a pc just to see
if you get any sort of display on the screen?

Without something to generate sync you won't get anything useful on the
screen.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

James Sweet writes:

N Cook wrote:
I'm thinking back to basic testing of dumb terminals and conecting pin 2 and
3 together would echo keyboard to screen.
Google doesn't like the word exerciser.
Is it possible to connect 5V to a pin on the monitor lead to get a blue
screen or something even if not synced to save powering up a pc just to see
if you get any sort of display on the screen?

Without something to generate sync you won't get anything useful on
the screen.

Well, newer monitors might display: "No Sync".

However, I agree that in genenral, unless you want to invest in a monitor
test partern generator, there is no trivial way to guarantee that any
monitor will display something useful without a proper driving source.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Parker

It's not what you could call "cheap", but the tiny monitor tester
which is sold by Anatek Corp works very well and eliminates the need
to connect a monitor to a PC to see how it's performing. It's at
http://www.anatekcorp.com/testequipment/vgaplus.htm

Bob

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:59:28 -0000, "N Cook"
wrote:

I'm thinking back to basic testing of dumb terminals and conecting pin 2 and
3 together would echo keyboard to screen.

Google doesn't like the word exerciser.
Is it possible to connect 5V to a pin on the monitor lead to get a blue
screen or something even if not synced to save powering up a pc just to see
if you get any sort of display on the screen?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tony Marsillo

Bob,
I have one of these also and am pleased with it. You can even take it with
you to a tag sale to see if a monitor works before buying it.

--
Tony Marsillo
Nutmeg Repair

wrote:

I'm thinking back to basic testing of dumb terminals and conecting pin 2
and
3 together would echo keyboard to screen.

Google doesn't like the word exerciser.
Is it possible to connect 5V to a pin on the monitor lead to get a blue
screen or something even if not synced to save powering up a pc just to
see
if you get any sort of display on the screen?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

Tony Marsillo wrote:

Bob,
I have one of these also and am pleased with it. You can even take it with
you to a tag sale to see if a monitor works before buying it.

Buy a monitor? I've had over 50 good monitors donated in the last
couple months.

--
Been there, Done that, I've got my DD214 to prove it.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Harmon

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:59:28 -0000 in sci.electronics.repair, "N
Cook" wrote,
if you get any sort of display on the screen?

I bet Don Lancaster could do it in one chip.
With half its pins broken off.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Parker

The monitor tester does it with one chip, as I recall. C'mon, the
self-proclaimed "Guru" is extremely talented and an excellent
technical writer (I learned microprocessors from his book), but not
perfect.