Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter Kolbe

Default Satellite Finder (KU Band) (Pas7/10)

Hi
I have googled unsucessfully, and was hoping somebody here could help out.

I am looking for a schematic for a Satellite Finder for the KU Band
(Pas7/10),
the one that I have used before plugs between the LNB and Decoder, It
derives its power from the feed to the LNB.
You connect an earphone to this unit, and when moving the dish, the tone
varies, from a high pitch when not aligned correctly, the pitch lowers as
you get closer to the center alignment, then the pitch peaks again as you
have the dish centered on the signal.

I know I can buy these units, but it will be more fun trying to make my own.

Please let me know if somebody can point me to schematics.

Decoder -------------------- Satellite Finder ------------- LNB

Earphone

Thanks
Peter

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

Peter Kolbe wrote:

[...]

They work by monitoring the DC current flowing to the LNB.

--
Been there, Done that, I've got my DD214 to prove it.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark

I don't think that is correct,,

I think they monitor the overall IF level out of the LNB in the 950 to
1250 MHz range, just a simple RF level detector....

Mark

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael A. Terrell

Mark wrote:

I don't think that is correct,,

I think they monitor the overall IF level out of the LNB in the 950 to
1250 MHz range, just a simple RF level detector....

Mark

Whatever. The one I looked at monitored the current used by the LNB
which increases when it has a higher output level. I still have two new
units left, but I don't feel up to looking for them and taking one of
them apart to draw the schematic.

BTW, I worked at a factory that built commercial microwave receivers.

--
Been there, Done that, I've got my DD214 to prove it.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter Kolbe

Thanks guys,
I managed to get a cheap one on ebay (has Mechanical meter and sounder on
it)

when I have time I will reverse engineer it jsut for fun

Peter
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Mark wrote:

I don't think that is correct,,

I think they monitor the overall IF level out of the LNB in the 950 to
1250 MHz range, just a simple RF level detector....

Mark

Whatever. The one I looked at monitored the current used by the LNB
which increases when it has a higher output level. I still have two new
units left, but I don't feel up to looking for them and taking one of
them apart to draw the schematic.

BTW, I worked at a factory that built commercial microwave receivers.

--
Been there, Done that, I've got my DD214 to prove it.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter Kolbe

Ok
Popped the cover open

Several Transistors, SMT Caps, SMT Resistors, and SMT Opamp.
Also Coils near the Socket to LNB and near the Socket to receiver.

It also has a trimmer resistor builitin, and the externally accesible Gain
(db) Pot.

From what I can see, It must be working by the IF level

Peter