DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   test equipment (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/135802-test-equipment.html)

[email protected] December 15th 05 03:26 PM

test equipment

Hi all,

I have a signal which I need to measure during fabrication. The signal
is a 2.88 MHz crystal and I need to know the signal level and
frequency.

A scope is a great device to do this but I really only need a display
with frequency and signal level.

A frequency counter would do the trick for the frequency measurement
but can not locate one of these with a signal level indication.

Any thoughts?

pdrunen

Travis Jordan December 15th 05 05:12 PM

test equipment

wrote:
Any thoughts?

Signal strength 15dBm ?

This would work fine assuming you can use the low-impedance input.
Otherwise, use a scope.
http://www.tequipment.net/BK103.html

Jim Yanik December 15th 05 06:16 PM

test equipment

wrote in
oups.com:

Hi all,

I have a signal which I need to measure during fabrication. The signal
is a 2.88 MHz crystal and I need to know the signal level and
frequency.

A scope is a great device to do this but I really only need a display
with frequency and signal level.

A frequency counter would do the trick for the frequency measurement
but can not locate one of these with a signal level indication.

Any thoughts?

pdrunen

Get a spectrum analyzer like a TEK 2712/2714 that incorporates an accurate
freq. counter. It will also show the purity of your signal.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** December 16th 05 03:03 AM

test equipment

PDRUNEN
You could use a shortwave receiver locked onto or near the frequency,
use the BFO or SSB mode to beat against the signal. A PC soundcard could
measure the frequency error. If you need to know what direction the
error is, tune lower by 1.0 KHz and measure the difference frequency, if
it goes below 1 KHz the crystal is drifting low, higher than 1 KHz, it
is drifting high etc.

Some receivers have software signal strength meters that can be
calibrated to give you a signal level indication.

Look at some of the ICOM receivers for PC CIV control.

Joe

wrote:

Hi all,

I have a signal which I need to measure during fabrication. The signal
is a 2.88 MHz crystal and I need to know the signal level and
frequency.

A scope is a great device to do this but I really only need a display
with frequency and signal level.

A frequency counter would do the trick for the frequency measurement
but can not locate one of these with a signal level indication.

Any thoughts?

pdrunen

--

Joe Leikhim K4SAT