Posted to sci.electronics.repair
(Just) Allan

Default Weird CRT monitor acting like an LCD !

I have a 21" Dell CRT monitor. About a third of the way from the top
of the screen there is a horizontal line - just like you see when an
entire line of pixels fails on an LCD monitor. It's only very faint
at the moment. The line is dead still (doesn't roll with the refresh
rate) and it is (obviously) more noticeable when the screen is white
or the white mouse pointer is positioned so the line passes through
it.

What would cause this kind of fault !?

Allan.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"(Just) Allan" wrote in message
I have a 21" Dell CRT monitor. About a third of the way from the top
of the screen there is a horizontal line - just like you see when an
entire line of pixels fails on an LCD monitor. It's only very faint
at the moment. The line is dead still (doesn't roll with the refresh
rate) and it is (obviously) more noticeable when the screen is white
or the white mouse pointer is positioned so the line passes through
it.

What would cause this kind of fault !?

Allan.

It sounds like it might be a trinitron/aperture grill CRT, which has support
wires approx 1/3 from the top and bottom of the screen. If so, this isn't a
fault, it's perfectly normal. Generally the wires should be very faint,
though noticeable on light screens.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

(Just) Allan wrote:
I have a 21" Dell CRT monitor. About a third of the way from the top
of the screen there is a horizontal line - just like you see when an
entire line of pixels fails on an LCD monitor. It's only very faint
at the moment. The line is dead still (doesn't roll with the refresh
rate) and it is (obviously) more noticeable when the screen is white
or the white mouse pointer is positioned so the line passes through
it.

What would cause this kind of fault !?

Allan.

Sounds like you have a Trinitron, it'd be either vertically flat, or
completely flat face. There's another line about 1/3 up from the bottom,
this is by design and is perfectly normal, I can see the lower one on my
own monitor as I write this, it's quite faint though, I don't notice it
unless I look for it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
(Just) Allan

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:05:12 GMT, James Sweet
wrote:

(Just) Allan wrote:
I have a 21" Dell CRT monitor. About a third of the way from the top
of the screen there is a horizontal line - just like you see when an
entire line of pixels fails on an LCD monitor. It's only very faint
at the moment. The line is dead still (doesn't roll with the refresh
rate) and it is (obviously) more noticeable when the screen is white
or the white mouse pointer is positioned so the line passes through
it.

What would cause this kind of fault !?

Allan.

Sounds like you have a Trinitron, it'd be either vertically flat, or
completely flat face. There's another line about 1/3 up from the bottom,
this is by design and is perfectly normal, I can see the lower one on my
own monitor as I write this, it's quite faint though, I don't notice it
unless I look for it.

Yep, that's it alright - thanks folks.

weird lights issue Sasha Home Repair 18 December 14th 05 02:51 PM
Weird electrical problem Alexander Galkin Home Repair 18 January 6th 05 12:57 AM