Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Don

Default Stewpit kamkorder kweschun

Hi,

A friend gave me a broken (gee, why do I always get BROKEN
things? Why don't they give me WORKING things?!!!) Hi-8
camcorder. Cute little thing. But, I've never used one :-(

I am assuming the mechanism operates in a *similar* fashion to
that of a regular VHS VCR? In particular, inserting the tape
and closing the "door" causes the door assembly to be pulled
into the camcorder... (?)

I.e., this unit refuses to close. Is it safe to assume that a small
switch is actuated (I believe I have found just such a switch)
which, in turn, operates something like a "mode motor" that
pulls the carriage in and lets the door close (and then, no doubt,
continues to load the tape around the head)?

I can't read the error messages as they are displayed in Kanji (?).

Where should I start poking around and what should I look for?
Or, is it better to just toss it into the local landfill??

Thanks!
--don

[email address is bogus]