Bert

Default noisy Hitachi camcorder

I have a Hitachi VM-H640A 8mm video camcorder. The motor makes a loud
noise that is picked up on tape when recording. What's the best way to
remedy this?

Is there a service manual available? I don't know anything about
camcorders, but I did repair a DVD player with the help of this forum.

TIA
Colin McCormick

TIA

Does it still make this noise if you select Pause?
If so, it is probably the head drum motor assembly
which has noisy bearings. There is no economical
cure for that usually.

Regards,

Colin

Bert wrote:
I have a Hitachi VM-H640A 8mm video camcorder. The motor makes a loud
noise that is picked up on tape when recording. What's the best way to
remedy this?

Is there a service manual available? I don't know anything about
camcorders, but I did repair a DVD player with the help of this forum.

TIA

Bert

No. You really can't hear the noise except when you play back the tape
on TV.

Bert wrote:
I have a Hitachi VM-H640A 8mm video camcorder. The motor makes a loud
noise that is picked up on tape when recording. What's the best way to
remedy this?

Is there a service manual available? I don't know anything about
camcorders, but I did repair a DVD player with the help of this forum.

TIA

Bert

I really want to fix it without using external parts. Is it possible
that all it needs is a good cleaning and lubrication? If so, how do
you do that?

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 14:53:57 +1100, "Russ Verdon"
verdonsATtpgi.com.au wrote:

If the noise is being picked up through the on camera microphone, you may be
able to use an external mike, if the camcorder has provision to plug one in.

Russell

.. .

Bert wrote:
I have a Hitachi VM-H640A 8mm video camcorder. The motor makes a loud
noise that is picked up on tape when recording. What's the best way to
remedy this?

Is there a service manual available? I don't know anything about
camcorders, but I did repair a DVD player with the help of this forum.

TIA

Jumpster Jiver

Bert wrote:

I really want to fix it without using external parts. Is it possible
that all it needs is a good cleaning and lubrication? If so, how do
you do that?

With the complexity of camcorders, even lubricating it can take several
hours of precision labor. But...
Motors are sealed and cannot be lubed. If it always did this, then it
is a bad design - a combination of a badly isolated mic and a noisy motor.
Just tracking down exactly where the noise is coming from - being
transmitted through many routes via physical contact between parts - may
be nearly impossible!

Even if it just started, it may be too difficult to track down to be
worth the time and effort. If you are qualified it may take days or
weeks of disassembly, moving things, and reassembly to track down. If
you need to have someone else do the work, it may cost more in labor
than the camcorder is worth.
That is why the only ECONOMICAL solution may be to use an external
microphone - if there is an input jack for one.
Anything can be repaired - even if it's been run over by a truck - but
the time and effort involved may not be worth the money you may be
willing to spend.
Just my 2 cents.
MS
Anna Daptor

"Colin McCormick" wrote in message
TIA

Does it still make this noise if you select Pause?
If so, it is probably the head drum motor assembly
which has noisy bearings. There is no economical
cure for that usually.

IF it is the bearing then that's true, there's no way of lubricating them
and replacement isn't economical. But I've had various Sony camcorders in
the past with noisy motors caused by the electrolytics in the motor drive
circuit ageing and losing capacitance. Replacement cured the faults.