Default philips 15PT6807 TV/DVD combo- repair faulty DVD?

Hi, I have acquired a Philips TV/DVD combo set, model no: 15PT6807. The
fault with these units is that the DVD player fails to function in a
matter of days from new. Has anyone managed to repair the fault with
success? Or maybe a 14PT6107 which also pack up after a few days?

I have been informed that it's not the laser that fails, but it's one
component that fails on the DVD software board and needs replacing. But
which one???

Any help appreciated

I bought this as a customer return so please don't recommend that I
take it back to the shop.

sofie

clgerrish:
When you say " the DVD player fails to function " .... describe much further
with complete details about what does and what does not work.... also
report your initial troubleshooting results, meter readings, component
tests, etc.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I have acquired a Philips TV/DVD combo set, model no: 15PT6807. The
fault with these units is that the DVD player fails to function in a
matter of days from new. Has anyone managed to repair the fault with
success? Or maybe a 14PT6107 which also pack up after a few days?

I have been informed that it's not the laser that fails, but it's one
component that fails on the DVD software board and needs replacing. But
which one???

Any help appreciated

I bought this as a customer return so please don't recommend that I
take it back to the shop.

Thanks for the reply Daniel! I haven't had the unit apart yet, but as
for the symptoms: The dvd drawer fails to open - when you select DVD on
the remote, all you get is a blank screen and no menu. I assume that
the whole DVD side has died completely.

If you read reviews of this unit, you'll see that 9/10 of them fail
with the same problem...even after a matter of days. So, someone must
be fixing them, and knows exactly what goes wrong...

Cheers...