DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Help on creating a capacitor discharge tool (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/127562-help-creating-capacitor-discharge-tool.html)

Darren Teaford November 2nd 05 02:17 AM

Help on creating a capacitor discharge tool

I've been thinking about building a capacitor discharge to repair a TV. All
I want to know is if it's okay to use primary wire instead of regular copper
wire.

Skype_man November 2nd 05 03:24 AM

Help on creating a capacitor discharge tool

Just use a ceramic resistor accross the main filter,
& some smaller caps in the secondaries. Like 1000
ohms approx, you can use higher, just the higher you
go, the longer it takes to discharge caps. Sky.

James Sweet November 2nd 05 07:41 AM

Darren Teaford wrote:
I've been thinking about building a capacitor discharge to repair a TV. All
I want to know is if it's okay to use primary wire instead of regular copper
wire.

I just use a cheap alligator clip lead clipped to a screwdriver, I've
heard arguments for using a resistor but in over a decade of working on
CRT displays I have yet to have had a problem doing it my way.

oldfogie November 2nd 05 03:12 PM

"James Sweet" wrote in message
Darren Teaford wrote:
I've been thinking about building a capacitor discharge to repair a TV.

All
I want to know is if it's okay to use primary wire instead of regular

copper
wire.

I just use a cheap alligator clip lead clipped to a screwdriver, I've
heard arguments for using a resistor but in over a decade of working on
CRT displays I have yet to have had a problem doing it my way.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard some say they use a conductive
foam block that static sensitive ICs come on. They say it works great, with
no sparks.