Darren Teaford

Default Help on creating a capacitor discharge tool

I've been thinking about building a capacitor discharge to repair a TV. All
I want to know is if it's okay to use primary wire instead of regular copper
wire.

Skype_man

Just use a ceramic resistor accross the main filter,
& some smaller caps in the secondaries. Like 1000
ohms approx, you can use higher, just the higher you
go, the longer it takes to discharge caps. Sky.

James Sweet

Darren Teaford wrote:
I've been thinking about building a capacitor discharge to repair a TV. All
I want to know is if it's okay to use primary wire instead of regular copper
wire.

I just use a cheap alligator clip lead clipped to a screwdriver, I've
heard arguments for using a resistor but in over a decade of working on
CRT displays I have yet to have had a problem doing it my way.
oldfogie

"James Sweet" wrote in message
Darren Teaford wrote:
I've been thinking about building a capacitor discharge to repair a TV.

All
I want to know is if it's okay to use primary wire instead of regular

copper
wire.

I just use a cheap alligator clip lead clipped to a screwdriver, I've
heard arguments for using a resistor but in over a decade of working on
CRT displays I have yet to have had a problem doing it my way.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard some say they use a conductive
foam block that static sensitive ICs come on. They say it works great, with
no sparks.

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 06:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 03:50 AM
For peer review, new FAQ section: Power Tools. John Rumm UK diy 87 March 8th 05 10:43 PM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 07:17 AM