Default Why aren't computer clocks as accurate as cheap quartz watches?

w_tom wrote:

Watches have an internal capacitor to adjust for each
crystal. I have never seen that capacitor on motherboards
since (I believe it was) the IBM AT. Furthermore, the PC
clock operates at two significantly different voltages that
will change crystal frequency. Battery voltage and voltage
when PC is powered will cause additional fluctuation. Which
voltage should they adjust the capacitor to? Just easier to
not install and adjust the capacitor.

I have an ancient Seiko quartz with a trimmer inside, and by adjusting
it I was able to make it accurate to 30 seconds a year. But few cheap
watches have them, including none of those I tried in this test.

w_tom

There are two ways to do as suggested. The first is to make
'Benjamins' part of the technical facts during design. The
second is to do the design, then let bean counters change the
design per what they 'feel' is not worth the bucks. The
latter is too often how GM cars are designed. Which is why a
GM car needs two extra pistons to get the same horsepower as
the competition. Which is why GM cars even in the 1990s
required annual wheel alignment. Which is why GM cars would
have what appeared to be computer failures when failure was
really due to cheap connectors. Classic examples of failures
when the design is modified after the design.

Two examples: how 'Benjamin' decisions become part of a
successful design verses how 'Benjamin' decisions after
application of technical facts makes bankruptcy.

Meanwhile, the technical reason for high verses low accuracy
timers was provided. Computer motherboards don't have the
trimming capacitor and the oscillator is subject to wider
voltage variations. Why this technical decision was made was
not asked and would only be speculation.

mike wrote:
There is no technical explanation except that the technology that
is being used does not guarantee accurate clocks.

If you do the math, you'll uncover the fact that a wris****ch is
phenomenally accurate compared to a RTC crystal.

I haven't been responsible for a computer design since 1989. Back
in the day, the philosophy was, "design for the center of the
statistical distribution and fix it in software."
Fortunately, UINX was smart enough to do time correction.

I haven't been responsible for a frequency counter design group since
1975. Back in the day, the philosophy was, "use the cheapest timebase
that guaranteed the specified accuracy."

I've had motherboards where they saved a nickel by leaving off the two
caps on the Xtal. Adding the caps helped, but "net time" fixed it in
software.

Are we seeing a trend yet?
You can get any accuracy you're willing to pay for. Computer users have
voted with their wallets for "lousy". I don't remember ever seeing a
specification for real time clock accuracy on a motherboard.
So if the clock ticks, it's in spec. Statistically, you'll sometimes
get one that's unacceptable and some of those will get bitched about on
the internet. It's the same reason that sometimes your Ford won't run
right.

You're the Chinese engineer. Go tell the bean counter that you want to
add 20 cents worth of parts to adjust the clock frequency, add $4000
worth of capital equipment to each production station, a week of
additional production line time to setup and program the equipment,
30 seconds of operator time to each board test and decrease the overall
yield.

It really is all about the Benjamins.

Andy Cuffe

On 27 Oct 2005 08:06:26 -0700, wrote:

ways.

http://www.walshcomptech.com/ps2/images/server95big.jpg

The only bad thing about these is that these PS/2s make the clocks in
almost all of my other machines look like a sad joke. :-)

William

IBM did a lot of things wrong with their PCs in terms of performance,
upgradability and user friendliness, but their quality was second to
none un until the end of the PS/2 line.
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005
DBLEXPOSURE

wrote in message
ups.com...
Why do the battery powered clocks in personal computers tend to keep
worse time than quartz watches, even the $1 ones?

The computer batteries measure fine, at least 3.15V.

I thought that the problem was temperature swings in the computers
(25-38C), but a couple of cheapo watches taped inside the computers
kept better time.

Because the processor in your computer might hang or busy itself with other
things besides keeping time. It may also have something to do with the
clock pulses your computer uses not being exactly divisible into real time.

look for a program called D4. It is a free download and will keep your
clock synced to universal time. Also, Widows XP can sync to the same time
servers that D4 uses. Both work great!

w_tom

Why so many "it might be this" or "it might be that" or
"time is updated from the internet"? Every posts says nothing
useful AND does not answer the OPs question. OP even
clarified the question when some replies were rubbish.

The answer -- technically -- was posted without
speculation. Processor hangs obviously do not affect that
clock operation - it one first learned how something works
before posting. The OP posted this - a technical question
that required technical knowledge before replying:
Why do the battery powered clocks in personal computers tend
to keep worse time than quartz watches, even the $1 ones?

See that word "might" ? That word "might" means the poster
does not know the answer and therefore should not have
posted. Anyone can speculate. But even worse, he posted
without reading the answer that was already posted. He did
not read every previous post before replying. A program
called D4 is equivalent to telling us when that mountain will
fall - not relevant to the OP's question. Most replies were
just as useless as this one. Why? How can so many post when
they never bothered to first learn how a computer's battery
powered clock even works?

DBLEXPOSURE wrote:
Because the processor in your computer might hang or busy itself
with other things besides keeping time. It may also have
something to do with the clock pulses your computer uses not
being exactly divisible into real time.

look for a program called D4. It is a free download and will keep your
clock synced to universal time. Also, Widows XP can sync to the same time
servers that D4 uses. Both work great!

DBLEXPOSURE

Who the hell made you the NG God who should say who should and who should
not post a reply. In short, **** You!

Don't tell me that the time kept by your computer does not require a
processor and that it does not ever hang because that is bull****.

The fact that the OP asked the question leads me to assume that his clock on
his computer not keeping accurate time is annoying him. Therefore, I
recommended the Program called D4. It is a solution to the problem and it
works.

DBLEXPOSURE wrote:
Because the processor in your computer might hang or busy itself
with other things besides keeping time. It may also have
something to do with the clock pulses your computer uses not
being exactly divisible into real time.

look for a program called D4. It is a free download and will keep your
clock synced to universal time. Also, Widows XP can sync to the same
time
servers that D4 uses. Both work great!

DBLEXPOSURE

DBLEXPOSURE wrote:
Because the processor in your computer might hang or busy itself
with other things besides keeping time. It may also have
something to do with the clock pulses your computer uses not
being exactly divisible into real time.

look for a program called D4. It is a free download and will keep your
clock synced to universal time. Also, Widows XP can sync to the same
time
servers that D4 uses. Both work great!

What Happens and Why
There is a "CMOS clock" in your computer which is powered by a tiny battery.
As long as the battery is good, this clock keeps the correct time, and each
time your computer is restarted, Windows98 reads its initial time from the
CMOS clock. However, while Windows98 is running, it keeps track of the time
on its own without continuing to check the CMOS clock, and keeping track of
the time is not the only thing Windows has to do. The busier your system
gets, the more likely it is to lose time. Generally, the longer you use your
computer, the further behind it gets. When you leave your computer on for an
extended amount of time, the Windows clock (displayed on the taskbar) may
lose from two minutes to an hour per day.

Likely culprits
Anything that makes your computer especially "busy" can take Windows'
attention away from its time-keeping function and lead to this "losing time"
symptom. If you're running lots of programs, or even just one or two very
demanding programs, you may see the computer clock losing time. Furthermore,
anything you are running which causes the computer to have to spend time
"watching" for something to happen can also lead to a slow clock. Here are
the most common culprits:

a.. Games and other video-intensive programs

b.. Screen savers and "scheduling" programs

c.. Internet chat programs (ICQ, IM, etc.)

d.. Playing MP3 files, CDs, or internet audio

e.. Anti-virus programs

f.. Processor-intensive applications

James Sweet

w_tom wrote:
[...]

Why is speculation useless? Nobody can give one solid answer because the
problem is not identical across all computers, nor is it always caused
by one simple factor. I've learned a fair amount of interesting things
from this thread, I guess you missed all that.
Asimov

" bravely wrote to "All" (27 Oct 05 09:34:24)
--- on the heady topic of " Why aren't computer clocks as accurate as cheap
quartz watches?"

do From:
do Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.basics:145659
do sci.electronics.repair:346469 alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:351295

do w_tom wrote:

Watches have an internal capacitor to adjust for each
crystal. I have never seen that capacitor on motherboards
since (I believe it was) the IBM AT. Furthermore, the PC
clock operates at two significantly different voltages that
will change crystal frequency. Battery voltage and voltage
when PC is powered will cause additional fluctuation. Which
voltage should they adjust the capacitor to? Just easier to
not install and adjust the capacitor.

do I have an ancient Seiko quartz with a trimmer inside, and by adjusting
do it I was able to make it accurate to 30 seconds a year. But few cheap
do watches have them, including none of those I tried in this test.

I bought a cheap $5 lcd watch years ago and noticed the circuit had
the solder pads for a trimmer cap. After adding the timmer and
adjusting, it was the most accurate timepiece in the house. When I
came across another identical watch many years later I did the same
thing to it too.

The adjustment was trial and error using CHU. Starting at the
midpoint, I kept cutting the error in half either side then set it
inbetween. Both keep great time, I never notice a difference even
longterm, perhaps a second per month if that.

How did you adjust yours, with a pickup coil and frequency counter?
I suppose that would be the logical way to do it but then again a
counter could be off a tiny bit too. The NIST over the internet seems
nice too but what are the sources of error with this?

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... I worked hard to attach the electrodes to it.

DBLEXPOSURE

Right on James!

That is how the NG's are suposed to work. But you get these trolls who
think there answer is the only answer. They have closed minds.

"James Sweet" wrote in message
w_tom wrote:
[...]

JAD

"w_tom" wrote in message
Why so many "it might be this" or "it might be that" or
"time is updated from the internet"? Every posts says nothing
useful AND does not answer the OPs question. OP even
clarified the question when some replies were rubbish.

The answer -- technically -- was posted without
speculation. Processor hangs obviously do not affect that
clock operation - it one first learned how something works
before posting. The OP posted this - a technical question
that required technical knowledge before replying:

And your answer was? or were you just posting to post.

Why do the battery powered clocks in personal computers tend
to keep worse time than quartz watches, even the $1 ones?

See that word "might" ? That word "might" means the poster
does not know the answer and therefore should not have
posted. Anyone can speculate.

In this environment speculation is just about all you have as the machine
(subject) is rarely in your hands. Since then a phrase has been invented to
take the place of that....and that would be...YMMV

DBLEXPOSURE wrote:
Because the processor in your computer might hang or busy itself
with other things besides keeping time. It may also have
something to do with the clock pulses your computer uses not
being exactly divisible into real time.

look for a program called D4. It is a free download and will keep your
clock synced to universal time. Also, Widows XP can sync to the same

time
servers that D4 uses. Both work great!

DBLEXPOSURE

Just in case anybody is interested

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/index.htm

And for the record, Tom, is relevant to the OP's question because it
concerns your PC's clock keeping accurate time. It is a solution to the
problem. What have you to offer?

DBLEXPOSURE wrote:
Because the processor in your computer might hang or busy itself
with other things besides keeping time. It may also have
something to do with the clock pulses your computer uses not
being exactly divisible into real time.

look for a program called D4. It is a free download and will keep your
clock synced to universal time. Also, Widows XP can sync to the same
time
servers that D4 uses. Both work great!

Rick Yerger

"DBLEXPOSURE" wrote in message ...
Just in case anybody is interested

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/index.htm

And for the record, Tom, is relevant to the OP's question because it
concerns your PC's clock keeping accurate time. It is a solution to the
problem.

That wasn't the question. The OP didn't ask how to solve
the problem.

DBLEXPOSURE

"Rick Yerger" wrote in message
ink.net...
"DBLEXPOSURE" wrote in message
Just in case anybody is interested

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/index.htm

And for the record, Tom, is relevant to the OP's question because it
concerns your PC's clock keeping accurate time. It is a solution to the
problem.

That wasn't the question. The OP didn't ask how to solve
the problem.

So what? I had offered an answer to that as well as offering a solution.
Perhaps you didn't read that part of the thread.

Now, Had I said your pc's clock will run slow because magic trolls and
ferries sneak in make adjustments to the master oscillator. That might
warrant an attack. But the rest of this crap is just that, crap!

you see my mind is not one dimensional, I might take a question and expound
on the answer to not only give a reason why this happen but also offer a way
to correct it.

And by the way, my last comment was prefaced, "Just in case anybody is
interested". Obviously you are not so the post was not intended for you.
In other words, Bug Off, pedal on and get a life!

w_tom

Your other post is classic of those who use emotion as if
emotion was logic. I will pretend you did not post an
outburst in the other post; in respect for your dignity.

Below is a partial description of how the computer's other
clock works. It assumes time lost will also cause the
computer's battery clock to change. Do you know they both use
completely different circuits and oscillators (time bases)?
That battery clock does not change no matter how many seconds
or days the Windows (Operating System) clock changes.

This might be true if the system is not pre-emptive
multitasking or if the OS itself crashes - which is rare
enough to not be relevant:
The busier your system gets, the more likely it is to lose time.
Generally, the longer you use your computer, the further behind
it gets. When you leave your computer on for an extended amount
of time, the Windows clock (displayed on the taskbar) may lose
from two minutes to an hour per day.

Meanwhile, as an OS gains or loses time, the computer's
battery clock remains unaffected. Again, you should have
known this which is why your original post used the word
"might". Well, at least this time you look up some facts
before posting. But you did not obtain all facts. Loss of
time by the OS does not change the CMOS or battery clock.
Made obvious with simple hardware or BIOS knowledge. You are
advised to first learn the basic circuit - as it was designed
even in the original IBM AT. The circuit is based in a famous
IC - Motorola's MC146818 and an equivalent IC from Dallas
Semiconductor.

Not knowing how this battery clock works is not what you are
criticized for. Furthermore an emotional outburst was not
posted - a lesson you should learn from. Criticism is based
on facts. You posted speculation AND you posted things
totally irrelevant to what the OP was asking. Not just you.
This thread is chock full of posters who only speculated and
who did not answer the OP's question.

Now you are also being corrected for not learning all the
facts about how the battery backup data time clock works.
Your "Likely culprits" list is not based on knowledge of a
1984 legacy circuit that is standard in PCs. Gain or loss of
time by the OS - using a completely different clock - does not
affect the battery backup clock. This true in hardware today
as it was in the original IBM AT. Those "most common
culprits" in no way change the date time of a battery backup
clock.

What was do_not_spam_me asking? He was asking about that
battery backup clock also known as the CMOS date time chip -
which is unaffected by and unrelated to your "most common
culprits". IOW again, the answer is not based upon the OP's
original question.

DBLEXPOSURE wrote:
[...]

Could you have a look into how these clock are constructed.. ?

w_tom

The battery backup circuit in a PC is a circuit originally
in IBM AT - a legacy of that well established 1984 design
using a Motorola MC146818.

To have posted as DBLEXPOSURE has, he should have first
known about that circuit. A majority of posts in this thread
are total speculation based upon no relevant technical
knowledge. That is shameful if not irresponsible. One even
claims the OS clock causes changes in a completely different
oscillator - the CMOS date time clock. Again, one who did not
first learn basic facts. Unfortunately too many people (often
who are only programmers) somehow become experts on how
hardware works. Had he even learned a PC's BIOS, then this
would have been obvious.

DBLEXPOSURE demonstrates that many just know; cannot bother
to first learn how hardware works. It is the difference
between one who is product oriented (deals in reality) and the
antonym of a product person - the MBA. DBLEXPOSURE posted
wild speculation - even worse doing so without first reading
a previously posted and technical answer. Two problems in his
response are cited. But then he adds a third problem: learns
only half of how a CMOS date time clock works; speculates that
timing changes in the OS changes a date time clock.

First what he (and others) originally posted in response to
do_not_spam_me's original question has nothing to do with the
question asked by do_not_spam_me. Second, many of those posts
all but admit they don't know - based in wild speculation.

At least, in a later post, DBLEXPOSURE attempts to learn how
the CMOS date time clock works. But he still got it wrong.
Those applications - "Likely culprits" - will not affect the
battery backup CMOS date time clock. He should have known
that even from facts that an inquisitive user observes.

BTW, Rick Yerger also criticizes DBLEXPOSURE for not
answering the question. Rather than act product oriented,
DBLEXPOSURE replies as an MBA:
Bug Off, pedal on and get a life!

Again he demonstrates no grasp of facts - instead using
feelings as if his feelings were facts. I don't have anything
to apologize for when I criticize what DBLEXPOSURE and others
have posted. Wild speculation was misrepresented as fact -
and did not even answer do_not_spam_me's question.

Two factors cause significant variation of the CMOS date
time clock. No trimmer capacitor and a timer that varies due
to different voltages.

James Sweet wrote:
Why is speculation useless? Nobody can give one solid answer because
the problem is not identical across all computers, nor is it always
caused by one simple factor. I've learned a fair amount of
interesting things from this thread, I guess you missed all that.

If there was an answer in this thread, I must have missed it. So many
ideas, so few applications of the facts :-)

There are two clocks in a PC (I don't know MACs) A hardware one, and the
software clock. When the PC boots, the BIOS reads the hardware clock, and
the OS asks the BIOS what time it is. From there on, good old windows or
whatever is doing the clock counting, using an interrupt timer. Given the
sloppy programming, and the inability of windows to pre-emptively
multitask, the software clock is not going to be very accurate. Just open
your time settings screen and watch the second hand on the clock. That
will show you right away that not only is windows terribly inefficient, it
is unable to update the clock consistently, and accurately, even when it
is 'idling,' due to system overhead, poorly implemented.

Each time you power down or restart the PC, the hardware clock is read,
and it is more accurate than the software, although still subject to
crappy crystals and poorly implemented devices. If you leave the computer
on for days at a time, a restart will probably get the clock back to a
more accurate setting, but not necessarily much better.

The question of why the PC clock is so inaccurate, and yet more expensive
than a cheapo watch is simply a matter of "how ya gonna get the
information out of the cheap watch, and into the PC?" The clock itself,
and the crystal are only a portion of the hardware required by a PC to
know what time it is. The additional requirements increase the sicon die
size, as well as the complexity of the design, so the higher cost is to be
expected. If you can get the time out of a cheap watch, in binary form, at
the proper levels, and the proper timing specs, without raising the price
of the $1 watch, a lot of people would like to hear from you ;-)

There are many sources of RTC boards that plug into a PCI slot and take
over the timekeeping for highly accurate applications, and of course, as
so many pointed out, apps the use the National Standards are free and easy
given net access.

Just another 3.5 cents.

Mark

David Maynard

lid wrote:
In sci.electronics.basics
wrote:

Why do the battery powered clocks in personal computers tend to keep
worse time than quartz watches, even the $1 ones?

The computer batteries measure fine, at least 3.15V.

I thought that the problem was temperature swings in the computers
(25-38C), but a couple of cheapo watches taped inside the computers
kept better time.

The answers I found useful in the thread a
* Use internal capacitor to adjust for the crystal.
* Provide stable voltage.
* DS1387 (suns?) have a good track record.
* Crystal chassi shall be grounded.

Useing these facts it should be possible to construct a fairly precise clock.
A precise crystal with internal capacitor in shielded box powered by it's
own linear voltage regulator should do it?

It could then countup a synchronous counter on positive flank. And be read on
negative flank (and only then).

Regulator could use diodes to enable proper batteri/psu operation. Separate
regulator for counter and crystal.

Sure its possible to make an 'accurate' hardware clock, and plenty exist,
but there isn't a compelling reason to be obsessive about it for a
'typical' PC as it is either of little consequence (like a standalone PC)
or there is a more convenient solution such as domain/internet time
synchronization.

And domain time synchronization would be needed even if every PC in the
domain had an 'accurate' (however we define that) clock because there are
too many ways even an 'accurate' clock can get off time, not the least of
which being that 'time', when running, is different than the CMOS clock.

Its really more complex than just the CMOS clock as that clock isn't what a
PC really needs. A computer needs a regular interrupt to schedule tasks and
do other time keeping functions so you end up with the situation where the
'software' time doesn't match the 'hardware' time, regardless of how
'accurate' the CMOS clock is, and contrary to w_tom's global assertion that
the software time doesn't affect the CMOS clock it depends on the O.S..
Modern Linux systems (e.g. Debian 2.2 and up), for example, set the CMOS
clock to the software clock at shutdown so they're synchronized.

At any rate, you'd end up going through the pain of trying to make a
blisteringly accurate CMOS clock simply so it's blazingly accurate at post
rather than waiting a minute for it to synchronize after boot and network
access comes up. Is that worth it?

James Sweet

and the inability of windows to pre-emptively
multitask,

Incorrect.

snip

How about offering some insight rather than just a big buzzer?

Depends on the version really, Win 3.1 and earlier didn't offer
pre-emptive multitasking, when an application was minimized it generally
ground to a halt. Win 9x was a big improvement over this but still
mediocre. Win NT/2K/XP is better still, and are generally quite good
OS's, but the multitasking is still rather poor compared to several
other OS's on the market. Of course any OS is a compromise, what you
gain in one area you often lose in another.

A long time ago, I regularly had good luck by substituting crystals
taken from watches, but when I tried the crystals from computer clocks
in some of those watches, their accuracy would worsen considerably.
And crystals I bought from parts suppliers were so bad that I switched
to getting my crystals from stick-on clocks for cars

A National Semiconductor note for one of their clock chips mentioned
that common crystals varied from 1-100 ppm accuracy per year (~30 secs.
to almost 1 hour), the worst by far being those sealed with solder, the
best sealed in glass or without heat.

Mxsmanic

writes:

Why do the battery powered clocks in personal computers tend to keep
worse time than quartz watches, even the $1 ones?

Apparently accurate timekeeping is still not a priority for
motherboard manufacturers. My old HP Vectra XU keeps very good time,
but it's an exception to the rule (in the days when it was built, HP
had a reputation for precision).

I thought that the problem was temperature swings in the computers
(25-38C), but a couple of cheapo watches taped inside the computers
kept better time.

The clocks are inaccurate to begin with; the small variations in case
temperature are not the source of inaccuracy. The clocks are very
consistent in their inaccuracy--in other words, they keep good time,
but they keep the wrong time, because they are inaccurately calibrated
at the factory.

The problem isn't limited to PCs. I recall mainframes that were off
by minutes per day. Surprisingly, for a very long time, most
computers were not equipped with any kind of useful real-time clock,
and many operating systems "estimate" the correct time based on
internal dispatch timers and things like that, which are invariably
very inaccurate. PC operating systems have traditionally done this,
too, because originally there was no RTC, and there has never been a
standard, high-accuracy, high-resolution RTC in PCs.

Mxsmanic

jakdedert writes:

FWIW, there are utilities which will update your computer clock from the
National Bureau of Standards over the web.....

There's much more than that. There's NTP, which will keep your system
clock accurate to within milliseconds without too much trouble. You
can also get radio-controlled hardware clocks for installation inside
the machine, as well as GPS clocks for even better accuracy.
Radio-controlled clocks and NTP over broadband are grossly comparable,
but GPS is more accurate still. All of these are far more accurate
than the basic clock in the PC alone, which is often off by seconds
per day.

DBLEXPOSURE

The truth is, I could care less about what you think about what I say. You
are in no position to tell me what I should or what I should not do or have
done. If you where a man worth listening to, you would simply post your
opinion with no need to tell others how they should or should not have
written there post. Truth is, you get off on taking jabs at other rather
than simply posting what you think, (typical of a NG twit who cannot be
aggressive in the real world for fear of getting bones crushed) Oh, and by
the way, What you think it not, nessiccarily the only opinion that counts or
matters. So, like I said before, **** you! And I'll post answers in what
ever fashion I wish and I will be the judge whether what I post is relevant
to the conversation. I don't need you to tell me that either.

Who the **** do you really think you are? Cause you aint **** to me....

And by the way, your little game of taking bits and pieces of previous
threads is as annoying as the five second sound bite that removes the true
context of the conversation and twists the words to suit your own purpose.
It is quite transparent as we can all go back and read the thread as it was
originally posted. Idiot.

Truth of the matter is that the program, "D4" is relevant to this
conversation as somebody else may come along and read this thread who never
knew the situation could be correct with a small transparent bit of
software. That person may appreciate the fact that I brought that subject
to the table. Oh, and By the way, the OP might as too. You see, the world
doesn't revolve around you and what you think..

Oh, and here is my complete response to Rick Yeager

sinip

So what? I had offered an answer to that as well as offering a solution.
Perhaps you didn't read that part of the thread.

Now, Had I said your pc's clock will run slow because magic trolls and
ferries sneak in make adjustments to the master oscillator. That might
warrant an attack. But the rest of this crap is just that, crap!

you see my mind is not one dimensional, I might take a question and expound
on the answer to not only give a reason why this happen but also offer a way
to correct it.

And by the way, my last comment was prefaced, "Just in case anybody is
interested". Obviously you are not so the post was not intended for you.
In other words, Bug Off, pedal on and get a life!

/snip

You took 8 word out 4 paragraphs... Who do you really think you are?

I'll ask you again to kindly **** off.......

James Sweet wrote:
Why is speculation useless? Nobody can give one solid answer because
the problem is not identical across all computers, nor is it always
caused by one simple factor. I've learned a fair amount of
interesting things from this thread, I guess you missed all that.

Mxsmanic

James Sweet writes:

How about offering some insight rather than just a big buzzer?

Sixteen-bit versions of Windows never did preemptive multitasking.
Thirty-two bit versions did and do, for 32-bit applications (but not
for 16-bit applications). Windows NT does it for all applications,
although a single MS-DOS virtual machine counts as one application (so
multiple 16-bit apps running inside it are not preemptively tasked
among themselves, for compatibility).

Depends on the version really, Win 3.1 and earlier didn't offer
pre-emptive multitasking, when an application was minimized it generally
ground to a halt.

It would not grind to a halt if the current application relinquished
control properly and frequently. However, all applications in the
system had to be well behaved in this way, or things would stall.

Win 9x was a big improvement over this but still mediocre.

It only did it for 32-bit applications, and overall Windows 9x was
very poorly written.

Win NT/2K/XP is better still, and are generally quite good
OS's, but the multitasking is still rather poor compared to several
other OS's on the market.

Not true. Multitasking on all the NT-based versions of Windows is
excellent. On those rare occasions when one application stalls
another on an NT-based OS, it's not because of any defect in
multitasking, it's because of interprocess signalling that stalls
applications by (potentially poor) design. For example, the Windows
Explorer is a potential source of multiple-application stalls,
although the latest versions of Windows Explorer are far better
behaved than the original (which was lifted from Windows 95, and was
thus very poorly written).

Of course, systems such as UNIX have been successfully multitasking
since the beginning, given that they were originally timesharing
systems by design.

Mxsmanic

Michael A. Terrell writes:

Watches have a trimmer to adjust the frequency, but PC motherboards
don't, anymore. Some 286 and 386 motherboards had them, and could be set
to give fairly accurate time. I don't really care. I use software that
updates the clock from time to time and sets it to a few milliseconds
from the atomic clocks at NIST.

Even if you have a very accurate clock, you still need to synchronize
it with NTP or some similar utility if you are using the Internet.
Once you start communicating with other machines, it's vital that all
the machines be synchronized with respect to time of day--just having
a clock that accurately measures time isn't enough. So if you're on a
network, either you must synchronize your machine to the Net with
software, or you must have a hardware clock that synchronizes to some
external source, such as a GPS or radio-controlled clock.

In fact, if your computer is _not_ connected to any other computer,
then what you need is a clock that is very stable and accurate in its
measurement of time intervals. But if your computer is connected to
other computers, this stability and accuracy is far less important
than synchronization with the other computers.

If you have an isolated PC with a very accurate clock, you can set it
by hand, and perhaps it will be within one second of the correct time.
However, since the clock is accurate, you can be sure that it will
never be _more_ than one second away from the correct time. In other
words, the initial error is also the maximum error, and a one-second
error is often okay for a stand-alone PC as long as the error never
increases. Since the computer is not communicating with anything
else, the one-second error is not a problem.

If you have a PC connected to other PCs, the most important thing is
to have all PCs set to the same time. In theory, it doesn't even
matter if they drift, as long as they all stay locked together. So
clocks that are fast by a second a day are not a problem, as long as
all the clocks are off by the same amount. In the case of multiple
connected PCs, then, synchronization with each other takes priority
over long term stability with respect to the actual time of day.

Finally, if your PC is connected to the Internet, you need
synchronization with the "real" time of day, as maintained by atomic
clocks around the world. This ensures that your PC will have the same
time of day as all the other PCs on the network worldwide (assuming
they have accurate clocks). So you need software that synchronizes
your PC to the correct time of day. You don't actually need a very
accurate clock on the PC, though, because good synchronization
software--combined with a good operating system--will continually
"discipline" your local clock and ensure that the time of day on your
machine precisely matches the actual time of day worldwide.

In summary, if you have a PC that is continuously connected to the
Internet (broadband, for example), all you need is software that will
synchronize the clock regularly (and most operating systems have this
now--Windows XP does it automatically). If you have a PC that is
isolated and not connected to anything, _then_ you need either an
extremely accurate PC clock, or some external reference that you can
use to keep the clock on time, such as a radio-controlled clock, a GPS
clock ... or your own wris****ch.

David Maynard

James Sweet wrote:

and the inability of windows to pre-emptively
multitask,

Incorrect.

snip

How about offering some insight rather than just a big buzzer?

Wasn't necessary as I doubt anyone in here is running 3.1 or older.

Depends on the version really, Win 3.1 and earlier didn't offer
pre-emptive multitasking, when an application was minimized it generally
ground to a halt. Win 9x was a big improvement over this but still
mediocre. Win NT/2K/XP is better still, and are generally quite good
OS's, but the multitasking is still rather poor compared

Not really but then 'poor' is a subjective term.

to several
other OS's on the market. Of course any OS is a compromise, what you
gain in one area you often lose in another.

The question of why the PC clock is so inaccurate, and yet more expensive
than a cheapo watch is simply a matter of "how ya gonna get the
information out of the cheap watch, and into the PC?" The clock itself,
and the crystal are only a portion of the hardware required by a PC to
know what time it is. The additional requirements increase the sicon die
size, as well as the complexity of the design, so the higher cost is to be
expected. If you can get the time out of a cheap watch, in binary form, at
the proper levels, and the proper timing specs, without raising the price
of the $1 watch, a lot of people would like to hear from you ;-)

Well you don't need to get any data only the timeing reference signal. That
can then drive an ordinary RTC chip.

Maybe this could give some ideas?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/electri...asiowatch.html

A solder connection to the pulsetrain from the 32768 kHz crystal + adjusted
capacitor to the mainboard rtc. Or simple IrDa.

Sixteen-bit versions of Windows never did preemptive multitasking.
Thirty-two bit versions did and do, for 32-bit applications (but not for
16-bit applications). Windows NT does it for all applications,

No, windows NT does not pre-emptively multitask.

Win NT/2K/XP is better still, and are generally quite good
OS's, but the multitasking is still rather poor compared to several
other OS's on the market.

This is because it only multitasks, but it is not pre-emptive
multitasking. The kernel does not have complete control of each
application.

Not true. Multitasking on all the NT-based versions of Windows is
excellent.

It is very good, but it is not pre-emptive. OS/2, for one, uses
pre-emptive and it is so far ahead and superior to the way windows works,
folks would not believe it. The difference between the two is beyond night
and day.

The difference will prove to be in your definition. The original
definition has been absconded with by microsoft in order to make it appear
that their inferior implementation actually meets the requirements, so if
it is really important that you 'win' that's okay with me.

Mark
Andy Baxter

do_not_spam_me said:

Why do the battery powered clocks in personal computers tend to keep
worse time than quartz watches, even the $1 ones?

The computer batteries measure fine, at least 3.15V.

I thought that the problem was temperature swings in the computers
(25-38C), but a couple of cheapo watches taped inside the computers
kept better time.

Not an answer to your question, but if this is a problem for you and you
have a broadband or frequent dial-up connection, you can synchronise your
clock with a time server on the internet using a protocol called ntp.

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.

w_tom

Win 16 code on Windows 95 executes "cooperative
multitasking". The application program must volunteer to pass
CPU access to the next application. Furthermore Win16 code is
non reentrant.

Windows 95 could only execute Win32 code using a flag called
Win16Mutex so that Win32 code, designed for pre-emptive
multitasking environments, would not crash in the 'mostly'
Win16 environment of Windows 9x/ME.

To run Win16 applications in the preemptive multitasking
environment of NT, those Win16 applications would execute
under NTVDM. Therefore Win16 applications could execute in a
pre-emptive multitasking environment called Windows NT.

To be a true multitasking system, all threads must be
reentrant. This NT does. To be preemptive multitasking, the
OS rather than the application programs must determine which
code has CPU resources. This too is done by NT. Neither is
done in Windows 9x. Some still confuse this difference
between Windows 9x/ME and the Windows NT/2000/XP operating
systems.

NT, however is not a superior real-time pre-emptive
multitasking (MT) system. NT was not designed as an efficient
real time OS because response to interrupts can take a
millisecond. But this discussion is about preemptive MT.
Windows 9x/ME is not pre-emptive multitasking. It is
cooperative MT. A legacy of DOS and Win 3.1 upon which it was
constructed. NT was built from scratch in the earliest 19990s
to use Win32 code (code that is also reentrant) and to be
preemptive multitasking. XP being only the latest version of
the NT Operating System.

Some preemptive multitasking OSes take it to the next level
- real-time preemptive multitasking. NT can perform real time
operations - just not fast enough - microsecond response - as
some high performance systems require.

OS/2 did provide preemptive multitasking when Windows 95
could only do cooperative MT. However OS/2 has no useful
graphical interface. Therefore OS/2 ended up in embedded
applications such as ATMs - where the system must be more
reliable - therefore system required a preemptive MT OS.
Obviously Windows 9x/ME suffer from that reliability weakness.
But NT is preemptive MT and has a graphical interface. NT was
Microsoft's answer to OS/2 when IBM and Microsoft finally had
a parting of the ways in early 1990s.

BTW, the early OS/2 that was first demonstrated by IBM - one
task could literally lock out other tasks. Even worse, the
IBM people did not even understand what multitasking was as we
showed them one application locking out other tasks. When
first released, bugs in OS/2 caused its preemptive MT
abilities to not perform correctly. A legacy of operating
system reliability when complex systems are written in
assembly language. And just another reason why OS/2 was not a
profitable product for IBM. OS/2 biggest success was taking
the embedded computer market away from DOS.

computer clocks Lurch UK diy 199 December 21st 04 10:43 PM
Are PC surge protectors needed in the UK? greywolf42 Electronics Repair 82 July 13th 04 11:37 AM