DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   12 volt VCR Samsung/Visteon (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/126134-12-volt-vcr-samsung-visteon.html)

allan1066 October 23rd 05 11:55 AM

12 volt VCR Samsung/Visteon

I recently picked up a Samsung/Visteon VCR VR-2430. This is a 12 volt
unit for use in a car. I bought it knowing it had no power lead but
assumed it would just have a simple positive/negative supply, however
I find it has a four pin input.(See link to photos) Can anyone give me
some more info on this please.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...6/PA210006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...6/PA210008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...6/PA210007.jpg

JR North October 23rd 05 08:07 PM

12 volt VCR Samsung/Visteon

Unlikely. The 12V socket should be the pink one in the first picture.
There should be a diagram on the case showing the polarity of the plug.
No ac/dc device would have a 4 pin socket like that for a power cord.
JR

allan1066 October 23rd 05 08:37 PM

12 volt VCR Samsung/Visteon

Hi JR - Thanks for the interest. Take a look at this next pic. and see
what you think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...6/PA210009.jpg

James Sweet October 23rd 05 09:53 PM

12 volt VCR Samsung/Visteon

allan1066 wrote:
Hi JR - Thanks for the interest. Take a look at this next pic. and see
what you think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...6/PA210009.jpg

That's a Molex connector, look at the circuit board, which pins are
connected to something? It's possible the pins are paired for more
current handling.

Skype_man October 24th 05 02:57 AM

12 volt VCR Samsung/Visteon

If you look closely at the last of three pix you posted, you can
see that the top left connection goes to ground via a jumper.
The two pins soldered together on the pc board, are likely
ground. Check for continuity from them to ground anywhere
on the chassis. There is a battery (always 12 volts), & ACC
which is 12 volts (when the key is on). Sky.

Jumpster Jiver October 24th 05 07:29 PM

12 volt VCR Samsung/Visteon

JR North wrote:

Unlikely. The 12V socket should be the pink one in the first picture.
There should be a diagram on the case showing the polarity of the plug.
No ac/dc device would have a 4 pin socket like that for a power cord.
JR

Not true. I have a 12V Sony color monitor with the same type of jack
used for 12V DC input. Sorry I don't have the pinout but two pins are
ground, one is +12V and the other is for an external picture (contrast)
control.

allan1066 October 24th 05 10:22 PM

12 volt VCR Samsung/Visteon

Thanks for the replies chaps. Looking from the rear, the lower left pin
is ground to the chassis,the two top pins are jumped together. Any
further ideas. I have found a matching plug to fit but at the moment
I'm a bit reluctant to apply power.