Bill Jeffrey

Default Will an LCD TV be damaged by freezing?

I am about to close up my cabin for the winter. The heat will be off,
and the indoor temperature will drop well below freezing. Will my LCD
TV be damaged by these temperatures? In other words, will the "liquid
crystal" freeze and break something? I would be grateful for a link or
pointer to an authoritative source.

Thanks

Bill

Wow - I never thought of that. My place does not go below freezing as
long as the minimal heat is on. I hope someone really knows. Have you
tried contacting the manufacturer?

Bob Hofmann

..... NO, NO, NO, NO.... NO DAMAGE
the LCD "response time" will get sluggish but will come back to normal
when it gets up to tempereature. I have shipped a lot of equipment
back and forth to Alaska, North Dakota, Minnesota, etc in the dead of
winter, when it comes out of the unheated delivery truck, or out of the
overnight trunk in a car or van, it can be well below freezing and
computer FANS groan and don't turn well, LCD monitors, LCD projectors
don't display well, even handheld LCD calculators get very sluggish....
just put one of your cheap calculators in the freezer overnight.... it
will have to come up to near room temperature to work properly but it
will not be damaged.... now if you submersed it in liquid nitrogen or
something like that I think their could possibly be a problem.
electrictym

I accidentally froze a laptop computer once; I left it in my car
overnight and we had a particularly cold snap. I realized what I'd done
in the morniing and brought it inside, and noticed that the display
looked very strange. This worried me, so I let it warm up until the
condensation was gone and powered it up, and the display was completely
black. I thought it was shot, but when I tried it again a few hours
later everything was fine.

I suspect you'd have to get an lcd really really cold to freeze it, and
even then it might not harm it; few substances expand when frozen like
water does.

James Sweet

Bill Jeffrey wrote:
I am about to close up my cabin for the winter. The heat will be off,
and the indoor temperature will drop well below freezing. Will my LCD
TV be damaged by these temperatures? In other words, will the "liquid
crystal" freeze and break something? I would be grateful for a link or
pointer to an authoritative source.

Thanks

Bill

It'll be fine, just warm the room up to something reasonable for several
hours before turning the thing on to make sure any moisture that
condenses in it goes away.

Bill Jeffrey

Bill Jeffrey wrote:

I am about to close up my cabin for the winter. The heat will be off,
and the indoor temperature will drop well below freezing. Will my LCD
TV be damaged by these temperatures? In other words, will the "liquid
crystal" freeze and break something? I would be grateful for a link or
pointer to an authoritative source.

Thanks

Bill

Thanks for the inputs, everyone. I got the "official" answer from the
mfr today. Storage conditions as low as -20C (-4F) are OK. Below that,
no guarantee.

Bill
GregS

In article , Bill Jeffrey wrote:
Bill Jeffrey wrote:

I am about to close up my cabin for the winter. The heat will be off,
and the indoor temperature will drop well below freezing. Will my LCD
TV be damaged by these temperatures? In other words, will the "liquid
crystal" freeze and break something? I would be grateful for a link or
pointer to an authoritative source.

Thanks

Bill

Thanks for the inputs, everyone. I got the "official" answer from the
mfr today. Storage conditions as low as -20C (-4F) are OK. Below that,
no guarantee.

Bill

Seems like the best people to ask are from car audio. There are probably more
displays in the cold vehicles than anywhere else.

greg