Default LA7838 Vertical IC and Mitsubishi CS-3535R

Todd,

If you have not thoroughly checked every polar electrlolytic for leakage and
the likely areas for ESR, you will be seeing this set back. We do them al
the time and rarely see less than a couple of dozen leaky caps in this
series of sets.

Leonard

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
I'm at the end of a long repair of this Mitsubishi CS-3535R.
I've replaced ... the 30 volt regulator
transistor and related zener with bias resistors that burned
up,

The picture currently has a slightly brighter horizontal bar
about 20% down from the top.

This is fixed. The problem was the 30V "regulator" circuit.
It fed the vertical drive and had too much ripple. For
comments, I've posted it here.

http://delpet.com/images/30VRegulator.jpg

The unregulated input had better regulation than the
regulated side. At first glance this seems like a plain old
30 volt zener holding the base at 30 volts and the emitter
thereby being held 0.7 volts lower. But note the collector
voltage - 29.2 volts. It's feeding the zener through the
zener bias resistor R4H1. There's not enough voltage to
drive the zener into breakdown, particularly if there's any
current through R4H1 to feed the zener or base of the
regulator transistor Q4A1. I used an NTE sub transistor
NTE382 IIRC) and subbed the 30V zener. Tweaking the drive
current and adding a larger filter cap eliminated the
horizontal line. I probably could have just gotten a better
sub for both.

Of course, as soon as I fixed that, I noticed a dozen faint
vertical lines that I eventually tracked down to ringing on
the horizontal from an exploded 33 uf 250 volt cap on the
CRT board. Repair is done at last.

Anyone want to comment on the 30 V regulator circuit?