Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Porky

Default Which discrete transistor would you use for a boost circuit?

I am building a guitar reverb pedal from some salvaged parts. From a
dead "Image" guitar amp, I got an itty bitty 5" reverb spring can and a
control pot with an attached circuit board about the size of a cracker
(the kind you eat). This circuit was wired in to the original amp's
circuit as an effects loop. Now the way I want to use it, with a guitar
plugged into the input and the output plugged into the input of an amp,
there was not enough volume, even with the amp cranked. I searched
through my parts/junk boxes and found a few transistors to use to
augment the existing circuit. I now have the thing working with a two
stage amplifier boosting the output of the reverb circuit. I used two
2N4124 transistors connected to the output of the reverb circuit board
with .068 coupling caps (happen to have a lot of those). Other
transistors I could have used are 2N4126 (PNP?), 2N5060 or a host of
others. The power supply is around 11 vdc, wall wart. I haven't
soldered anything yet, will be using a bit of perf board for the new
circuitry. Are these transistors a good choice for this application?

John Kogel