James Sweet

Default Which discrete transistor would you use for a boost circuit?

"Porky" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am building a guitar reverb pedal from some salvaged parts. From a
dead "Image" guitar amp, I got an itty bitty 5" reverb spring can and a
control pot with an attached circuit board about the size of a cracker
(the kind you eat). This circuit was wired in to the original amp's
circuit as an effects loop. Now the way I want to use it, with a guitar
plugged into the input and the output plugged into the input of an amp,
there was not enough volume, even with the amp cranked. I searched
through my parts/junk boxes and found a few transistors to use to
augment the existing circuit. I now have the thing working with a two
stage amplifier boosting the output of the reverb circuit. I used two
2N4124 transistors connected to the output of the reverb circuit board
with .068 coupling caps (happen to have a lot of those). Other
transistors I could have used are 2N4126 (PNP?), 2N5060 or a host of
others. The power supply is around 11 vdc, wall wart. I haven't
soldered anything yet, will be using a bit of perf board for the new
circuitry. Are these transistors a good choice for this application?

John Kogel

Does it sound good to you? When it comes to guitar amps that's the important
factor, it may be a horrible amp by looking at the numbers, but if it has
the sound you want then go for it.

Personally I'd use an op-amp rather than making the amp from transistors but
again if it works and you've got it built you may as well go for it.