Stan Sanderson

Default Toshiba SD-43HT follow-up

Unit not functioning, "Hello....Protection....Goodbye" displayed at
startup.

Toshiba's webpage instructs users to call them for instructions
regarding repair. They state that a third-party component is responsible
for the problem. Repair was done for my daughter's unit (free) at an
authorized repair center. Toshiba would not divulge the nature of the
part in question.

For those with limited access to repair centers, the part replaced was
C27, a power-supply capacitor. I have not opened the unit to determine
the value because the repair facility has security tape on one of the
screws. I had previously seen a posting on a web-based discussion board
which identified C27 as the faulty component, although the poster stated
that the problem reappeared after a few months.

I am not sure, but feel that there might have been some adjustment to
the behavior of the cooling fan. I had not noticed it running at cold
start turn-on before; it does run now. Of course, I am now more
sensitive to possible differences in operation resulting from the repair.

In the case of my daughter's unit, the problem had appeared on two
previous occasions but disappeared (seemingly with vigorous pushing of
random remote buttons). On this occasion, it did not go away. She had a
borrowed DVD in the unit which was due for return. Another posting
provided a means of extraction: power up the unit while at the same time
slowly turn the volume control and press the open/close button.

Hope this helps.

S. Sanderson