DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Trouble identifying component (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/120063-trouble-identifying-component.html)

[email protected] September 7th 05 09:53 PM

Trouble identifying component

I'm repairing a Denon DRA-375RD reciever, and have identified the
faulty part. Problem is, I'm not exactly sure *what* it is. It's in a
2-lead TO-92 package, connected in series with one of the power
transformer secondaries. I'm guessing it's a resettable fuse. It's
electrically open, and carefully bridging it with some resistance makes
the set jump to life. Seems like the circuitry wants to pull a little
over 200mA through it.
The component silk-screen ID is PR401, and the only markings on the
package is:

N25

Maybe the "25" means 250mA trip? Anyone have some information? Thanks
in advance.

burbeck September 10th 05 12:21 AM

Hi there these things are called IC protectors, sort of fuse yours is
'normal blow' 1 Amp see
http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.co...me.php?cat=209
regards
bob

frontline@nospam September 11th 05 05:43 PM

No reset if value is exceeded, fuse yes different faster.
I am surprised to see one used at the transformer secondary they are
rated at 50V
designed to protect ICs but could work well for that
transformer/circuit or maybe safety critical part?
Jeff

Michael A. Terrell September 11th 05 06:28 PM

wrote:

So do they reset themselves, or are they just a fuse, essentially? I
can't quite tell from the datasheets.

One time only, no reset. Basically, they are fuses in a plastic case
that can be machine stuffed to lower assembly cost, and have the added
benefit that they keep the end user from replacing the fuse.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida