Jeff Wisnia

Default Mo light delay component for old garage door operator

Howard Goldstein wrote:

Seeking a replacement for a 3-terminal "light delay" component for my
ancient Overhead Door model 100 garage door opener (or something I can
work with to replace the original component) .

This component is ceramic element wrapped with fragile nichrome that's
supposed to heat up a nearby bimetal contact that closes and lights the
lamps for a while after the moter reaches its limit.

The factory stopped making this model and the component back in 82 so
if anyone has an old one they'd sell the part from, or can suggest an
alternative to a new garage door operator, please let me know.
Thanks!

This just occurred to me. How about using a cheap ultrasonic motion
detector switch to turn on the regular garage lights when it sees the
door move? They turn off after an adjustable delay. Our office has them
in the common area johns and they flick on as soon as you push the door
in a few inches.

They also remind you that you've sat on the pot long enough reading and
it's time to get back to work; The lights go out and you have to wave
your arms around above the stall door to get them on again. G
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

John McGaw

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Howard Goldstein wrote:

[...]

Ultrasonic might work. What I used was one of the wide-angle thermal
units that replace a standard light switch and which controls the main
ceiling light in the garage. When it is even slightly dim in the garage
it will "see" me when I enter the garage from any direction. And it will
definitely "see" the heat from the Miata when I pull in of an evening.
Of course the switch can still be set to come on and stay on (or stay
off permanently) but normally it is set to keep the light on for 15
minutes. Cost something like $12 at the borg and definitely easier than
messing with the innards of my antique pre-1980 Craftsman garage door
opener.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Two questions about security light above the garage door [email protected] Home Ownership 4 May 26th 05 12:16 AM
Light Bulb Phil UK diy 18 March 27th 05 05:50 PM
add a light in bedrooms tweety Home Repair 17 March 11th 04 11:22 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Installing power sockets and light into an adjacent garage Andy Hide UK diy 0 July 21st 03 10:00 AM