Andy Cuffe

Default LCD monitor burn in

I saw something this week that I though was impossible. It's an LCD
computer monitor with burn in. It's a 17" Apple LCD that has a very
definite after image of the apple menu bar across the top. It's only
visible on a black background and shows up as a positive image. You
can read the names of some of the menu items and clearly see the apple
logo. The monitor has been sitting unused for at least a few months
before I repaired the back light inverter. I have never had it
connected to a mac, so I know it's not a short term ghost image that
will fade away after a few hours. I've had the monitor running off
and on for more than 24 hours total with no noticeable change in the
burn in. Has anyone else seen this?
Andy Cuffe

-- Use this address until 12/31/2005

-- Use this address after 12/31/2005

Seen it lots of times on multiple makes and models of lcd monitors.

James Sweet

wrote in message
ups.com...
Seen it lots of times on multiple makes and models of lcd monitors.

What causes it? I've seen it once too but I also thought it impossible. Is
it fading of the color filters?

Chris

I saw something this week that I though was impossible. It's an LCD
computer monitor with burn in. It's a 17" Apple LCD that has a very
definite after image of the apple menu bar across the top. It's only
visible on a black background and shows up as a positive image. You
can read the names of some of the menu items and clearly see the apple
logo. The monitor has been sitting unused for at least a few months
before I repaired the back light inverter. I have never had it
connected to a mac, so I know it's not a short term ghost image that
will fade away after a few hours. I've had the monitor running off
and on for more than 24 hours total with no noticeable change in the
burn in. Has anyone else seen this?
Andy Cuffe

I've only read about this before, not seen it, but it was said it is
possible to get rid of, by leaving the lcd on with a negative of the image
displayed. Try googling!

HTH
Chris D.

Not a Steven fan

The guy on Shop NBC that sells LCD TVs constantly says in every show that
LCD TVs cannot suffer from burn in. You calling him a liar?... ;-)

wrote in message
ups.com...

Seen it lots of times on multiple makes and models of lcd monitors.

Technically it is not 'burn in' like a crt. But it is a permanent
image that becomes visible forever on the screen. So technically it is
not calling a sales person a liar.

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 18:27:06 +0100, "Chris"
wrote:

[...]

Similarly, I've only heard about using a bright white image for a CRT.

Tom
H. Dziardziel

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 05:06:27 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Seen it lots of times on multiple makes and models of lcd monitors.

What causes it? I've seen it once too but I also thought it impossible. Is
it fading of the color filters?

Liquid crystals, need to be relaxed; that's why there is an
evenly timed +- ac driving frequency (not image refresh whicih
is separate) for TFTs. And related, being organic, why they
eventually "tire" out, are slow when cold, and are generally slow
responding so smear etc..