Chris

Default Panasonic TV picture went to horiz. line

It's a Panasonic CT-36G24C. I've had it for 5 years. I came home
from work today & turned the set on. The pic was okay for a while,
but when I looked back, it was a horizontal line in the middle. I
could see movement. I turned the set off & turned the surge supressor
off for 5-10 min. When I turned it back on, the picture was full, but
shuddered for a minute, went to a thin line & then went full. It's
been fine for 3 hours now.
I read in the paper that the hydro company's been lowering the voltage
intermittently due to the high usage. I'm hoping this could be the
cause, but I'm not too optimistic.
Does anyone have an idea what could cause this & about how much I can
expect to pay to fix it?

Thanks,

Chris
Donald

Hi, Chris, if you want to get inside it, if your vertical went bad, it could
be a $5 part that would be the vert IC.
It could be a bad fusable resistor not letting voltage get to the vert IC.
Or maybe a bad capacitor or two.
Cheaper to fix your self. Shop, if your lucky $70. Wish I was there I would
fix it. Donald

"Chris" wrote in message
It's a Panasonic CT-36G24C. I've had it for 5 years. I came home
from work today & turned the set on. The pic was okay for a while,
but when I looked back, it was a horizontal line in the middle. I
could see movement. I turned the set off & turned the surge supressor
off for 5-10 min. When I turned it back on, the picture was full, but
shuddered for a minute, went to a thin line & then went full. It's
been fine for 3 hours now.
I read in the paper that the hydro company's been lowering the voltage
intermittently due to the high usage. I'm hoping this could be the
cause, but I'm not too optimistic.
Does anyone have an idea what could cause this & about how much I can
expect to pay to fix it?

Thanks,

Chris

If you have access to a Variac, you could try lowering the voltage to
see if that causes the problem. Did the lights di about the time of
the failure?

Or, plug the tv into a long extension cord with an electric iron also
plugged into the extension cord. That should lower the voltage
somewhat.

Or, the next time it fails, spray various components in the vicinity of
the vertical output circuit with cooling spray to see what that does.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

RonKZ650

Sounds like the very common bad solder connections issue. Beat the top
of the set and see if the problem can be duplicated. If tapping the set
causes the picture to collapse, soldering the vertical output chip is
needed. The old LA7838 IC with bad solder trick.

Chris

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:48:53 -0700, "Art"
wrote:

Have the Vertical Deflection Circuitry repaired.
"Chris" wrote in message
.. .
It's a Panasonic CT-36G24C. I've had it for 5 years. I came home
from work today & turned the set on. The pic was okay for a while,
but when I looked back, it was a horizontal line in the middle. I
could see movement. I turned the set off & turned the surge supressor
off for 5-10 min. When I turned it back on, the picture was full, but
shuddered for a minute, went to a thin line & then went full. It's
been fine for 3 hours now.
I read in the paper that the hydro company's been lowering the voltage
intermittently due to the high usage. I'm hoping this could be the
cause, but I'm not too optimistic.
Does anyone have an idea what could cause this & about how much I can
expect to pay to fix it?

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks for the comments. I didn't have any lights on so I don't know
if they dimmed. I'll try the iron & tapping tricks.
It looks like it won't be too much to have it looked at & repaired.
I'm no electronics technician, so if it does it again, I'll bring it
in to a shop.

Thanks,

Chris
Barney

news
wrote:

Have the Vertical Deflection Circuitry repaired.
"Chris" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It's nothing to with reduced mains voltage. You have a problem with the
vertical scan (field) circuit - could be any number of things, although a
dry solder joint is a strong possibility. A bit of judicious tapping around
the field ouput ic might help locate the problem.