Ancient_Hacker

Default Hp 54110D scope, help!

Okay, I bought this semi-dead HP 54110D scope hoping the problem was
something obvious, like a bad power supply, blown fuse, or broken power
switch. No such luck, all power supply voltages are very close. The
CRT is blank, but it has a static charge on the screen and momentarily
lights up when I turn the power off and back on, so it's probably okay.
But no screen display, and it doesnt boot or beep or anything. Most
of the test points on the CPU card show nothing at all.

I have the service manual on order, but until it arrives, anybody have
any suggestions?

Thanks,

George

tekman

Ancient_Hacker wrote:
Okay, I bought this semi-dead HP 54110D scope hoping the problem was
something obvious, like a bad power supply, blown fuse, or broken power
switch. No such luck, all power supply voltages are very close. The
CRT is blank, but it has a static charge on the screen and momentarily
lights up when I turn the power off and back on, so it's probably okay.
But no screen display, and it doesnt boot or beep or anything. Most
of the test points on the CPU card show nothing at all.

I have the service manual on order, but until it arrives, anybody have
any suggestions?

Thanks,

George

George,

looks like a faulty processor board. The design is proprietary, so
there is hardly a chance to get things back to work.

You can try to look for a junker scope in ebay (make 1 out of 2
method), or simply sell it as a junker. It' an old scope, 1 GHz
sampling mode, appr. 40 MS/s AFAIR.

So if you are not on it as a collector, but as a hobbyist user: My
recommendation would be not to waste time for a repair.

hth,
Andreas

Ancient_Hacker

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the CPU is a 68000 -- it has the
Motorola logo on it but an HP part number. Wouldnt be the only time a
HP 1820-series IC is just a common IC, relabeled. Wonder who they
thought they were fooling?