DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cleaning UPS battery leakage (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/113317-cleaning-ups-battery-leakage.html)

Ryan Underwood July 14th 05 06:33 AM

Cleaning UPS battery leakage

Hi,

Probably an easy question. I have a UPS which suffered battery leakage. The
resulting leakage seems to be "crystallization" underneath the batteries (which
I have not removed yet). What is the safest way of cleaning this up once the
batteries have been removed?

Ryan

NSM July 14th 05 07:27 AM

"Ryan Underwood" wrote in message

Probably an easy question. I have a UPS which suffered battery leakage.

The
resulting leakage seems to be "crystallization" underneath the batteries

(which
I have not removed yet). What is the safest way of cleaning this up once

the
batteries have been removed?

Warm water and baking soda.

Ryan Underwood August 31st 05 09:54 PM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:27:15 +0000, NSM wrote:

"Ryan Underwood" wrote in message

Probably an easy question. I have a UPS which suffered battery leakage.

The
resulting leakage seems to be "crystallization" underneath the batteries

(which
I have not removed yet). What is the safest way of cleaning this up once

the
batteries have been removed?

Warm water and baking soda.

I finally got around to cleaning up this unit, and this did in fact work
well. You can hear the 'sizzle' as the baking soda neutralizes the acid.
I kept wiping until I couldn't hear sizzle anymore, then wiped it dry and
let it sit for awhile. Thanks!