Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Desert Tripper

Default Ride-on toys kill motorcycle battery - why?

Hello,

Like a lot of people, we have run across a few of those "Hot Wheels"
powered cars that use a pair of sealed lead-acid (Type H) batteries,
in good condition but the batteries are shot. The batteries are puny
and expensive (around $20 even at Wal-Mart). So, I got to thinking: a
motorcycle battery HAS to have a better Amp-Hr rating than that thing.
I picked up a brand new motorcycle battery for 20-something at the
local Sam's Club, charged it and plunked it in. WOW! the thing ran
better than ever and went quite a while between charges. The kids
loved it!!!

Trouble was, after 10 or so charge/discharge cycles, the run time per
charge started diminishing and after a while the battery wouldn't even
take a charge. It didn't seem to be running hot or anything.
Electrolyte level was fine and everything, too. Charge current didn't
exceed 2 amps or so. The same thing happened twice, both with a Barbie
two-seater "Jeep" and a "quad."

I am confused. I don't think surge current is an issue, as their
primary function is to send a massive bolus of current to a starter
motor. Perhaps I exceeded some sort of "continuous current draw"
rating? I have an electricity/electronics background, but batteries
are not my forte'. I would really like to know what caused the
motorcyle batteries to die so I can avoid this problem later.

I really don't want to buy those puny overpriced batteries if I can
avoid it. I am wondering, should I go one battery size up (perhaps a
lawn tractor battery?) The battery compartment would probably
accommodate one of those, but it is too small for an auto battery.
(Wishfully thinking I could put a deep-discharge RV battery into it!
Wouldn't that be something! (grin))

Thanks much for any information!
Doug the Desert Tripper - Exploring Southern Cal deserts and the Net since '94
www.geocities.com/destrip
*Replace 'see-below.no-SPAM.net' with 'dslextreme.com' to email me.*
..