DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ESR meter (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/107761-esr-meter.html)

danbob5 May 30th 05 04:35 AM

ESR meter

I built the poptronics esr meter with a FAR circuit board. when i check a
regular cap it works as it should but when i check a electolitic it
generates about 5 to 10 % more voltage at the meter than when the probes
are touched and the meter is zeroed out. I have checked all componet
location & polarity 3 times and the voltages are good checked with meter &
O scope. any ideas?
Dan

Bob Parker June 1st 05 04:27 PM

The first Poptronics article was absolutely riddled with drafting
errors. Later they brought out a lot of corrections. Have you
incorporated those corrections into your meter?

Bob

Antti Panula June 1st 05 05:37 PM

"danbob5" wrote:

I built the poptronics esr meter with a FAR circuit board. when i check a
regular cap it works as it should but when i check a electolitic it
generates about 5 to 10 % more voltage at the meter than when the probes
are touched and the meter is zeroed out. I have checked all componet
location & polarity 3 times and the voltages are good checked with meter &
O scope. any ideas?
Dan

Please consider buying an EVB ESR meter. This piece of equipment is great. I
don't know what is your purpose of checking ceramic or polyester caps
because they almost never wear out. Regular ohm meter should be fine for
those.

http://clientes.netvisao.pt/greenpal/

Antti
OH7GLS