Jim Adney

Default FS: HP benchtop frequency counters

Have you ever wished you had a reliable and accurate way to measure
the frequency of something?

If you're interested in any electrical signal in the frequency range
between 10 Hz and 1.3 GHz, then I probably have a counter that would
suit you nicely. I buy, test, repair, and resell a line of small
Hewlett-Packard solid state modular counters that were made in
different configurations with various features. These were made from
about 1970 thru the very early '80s and come in nice cast aluminum
housings that are extremely rugged.

They are AC powered (but NiCad pack adapters are available) desktop
units that weigh about 4-5 pounds and take up about as much space as a
small cigar box. Beautifully constructed, they come with the usual H-P
gold-plated circuit board traces and easy-to-read large LED displays.

All units measure frequency over some range, but some models also
measure period, pulses between gates, pulses within gates, and high
resolution frequency. There is even a DVM module that will allow you
to measure current, voltage and resistance in addition to frequency.

Depending on the features and frequency range you want, the prices
range from $80 to over $200, but these sold for thousands when they
were new. The accuracy is better than 1 part per million, and close to
1-2 parts per 10 million after warmup. I will check the calibration
and warmup characteristics before I ship.

I guarantee all units to be fully functional.

I occasionally have some modules available which have worse than
average cosmetic flaws (knob caps missing, missing feet, etc.) I would
sell these at reduced prices, but they are still fully functional
electronically. Ask for this possibility if you are more interested in
functionality than cosmetics.

I can provide photos if you are interested.

If you think you might be interested, email me, and I will send you a
file with a rather complete description of the whole line, with my
prices for each one. Explain what you want to measure, and I'll be
glad to help you pick out something that will do exactly what you need
with minimum fuss and minimum cost.

thanks,

-
Jim Adney