DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   dimmable cfl's ? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/105691-dimmable-cfls.html)

Ken Weitzel May 8th 05 06:31 PM

dimmable cfl's ?

Hi...

Anyone happen to know what the diff is between
dimmable cfl's and the regular ones?

Friend has a chandelier with half a dozen bulbs in
it, and would like to use cfl's. Confusion is that
the dimmable ones cost about 4 times as much, and
regular ones work real real wierd :)

Thanks, and take care.

Ken

James Sweet May 8th 05 07:09 PM

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Hi...

Anyone happen to know what the diff is between
dimmable cfl's and the regular ones?

Friend has a chandelier with half a dozen bulbs in
it, and would like to use cfl's. Confusion is that
the dimmable ones cost about 4 times as much, and
regular ones work real real wierd :)

Thanks, and take care.

Ken

If you look up ballast controller chips and look at the datasheets you'll
see the difference. The dimmable ones are quite a bit more complex, they use
a somewhat different power supply design and they provide a separate voltage
to keep the cathodes in the tube heated when the tube is dimmed. I have a
few and they're mediocre, they're large and clunky and flicker if you dim
them too far but they worked ok in the rec room in the last house I lived
in. In the one light in my house that's on a dimmer now I use incandescent
lamps, it's not on very much anyway.

CJT May 8th 05 07:53 PM

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Hi...

Anyone happen to know what the diff is between
dimmable cfl's and the regular ones?

Friend has a chandelier with half a dozen bulbs in
it, and would like to use cfl's. Confusion is that
the dimmable ones cost about 4 times as much, and
regular ones work real real wierd :)

That's the difference.

Thanks, and take care.

Ken

NSM May 9th 05 02:34 AM

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Hi...

Anyone happen to know what the diff is between
dimmable cfl's and the regular ones?

Friend has a chandelier with half a dozen bulbs in
it, and would like to use cfl's. Confusion is that
the dimmable ones cost about 4 times as much, and
regular ones work real real wierd :)

Use incandescents. 10 for a dollar at the dollar store. CFL's are fine for
on off - a bad choice for dimming.

Asimov May 9th 05 03:05 PM

"NSM" bravely wrote to "All" (09 May 05 01:34:29)
--- on the heady topic of " dimmable cfl's ?"

NS From: "NSM"
NS Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:47659

NS "Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
NS news:52sfe.1279990$Xk.373708@pd7tw3no...

Hi...

Anyone happen to know what the diff is between
dimmable cfl's and the regular ones?

Friend has a chandelier with half a dozen bulbs in
it, and would like to use cfl's. Confusion is that
the dimmable ones cost about 4 times as much, and
regular ones work real real wierd :)

NS Use incandescents. 10 for a dollar at the dollar store. CFL's are fine
NS for on off - a bad choice for dimming.

BTW dollar store cfl's have appreciable QRM.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... [] - Please write your complaint legibly in that box.

NSM May 10th 05 02:40 AM

"Asimov" wrote in message

BTW dollar store cfl's have appreciable QRM.

I don't doubt it. They also don't like low temps and have a crappy
phosphor - but what do you expect for a buck?

BTW, I just found 4 X DVD-Rs with full jewel case in my local store!