DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Copyright on HP service manuals (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/103689-copyright-hp-service-manuals.html)

Dave April 21st 05 01:42 AM

Copyright on HP service manuals

I don't have any HP user or service manuals, but I suspect they are
copyrighted. Has anyone ever asked Agilent for permission to copy an HP
manual and put it on the web.

The manual in question (HP 5370B time interval counter) is dated 1995,
part number 05370-90031. The equipment is no longer supported. I'm
hoping to obtain a copy and was wondering where I wold stand in making
it publicly available.

Has anyone ever asked Agilent for permission to do this on equipment
manuals? I know there are a lot of dealers that do it, but whether or
not they pay for the privilidge I don't know.

Doug April 21st 05 03:01 AM

try
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hp_agi...guid=135916291

MetalHead April 21st 05 03:44 AM

Dave wrote:
I don't have any HP user or service manuals, but I suspect they are
copyrighted. Has anyone ever asked Agilent for permission to copy an HP
manual and put it on the web.

The manual in question (HP 5370B time interval counter) is dated 1995,
part number 05370-90031. The equipment is no longer supported. I'm
hoping to obtain a copy and was wondering where I wold stand in making
it publicly available.

Has anyone ever asked Agilent for permission to do this on equipment
manuals? I know there are a lot of dealers that do it, but whether or
not they pay for the privilidge I don't know.

Take a look at Agilent's web site. If I remember correctly, they put a
bunch of the stuff out in the public domain or something very close to
that. Last time I was rummaging around on their site, I saw the notice
and was impressed enough to remember it.

Bob

John Larkin April 21st 05 04:18 AM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:42:38 +0100, Dave wrote:

I don't have any HP user or service manuals, but I suspect they are
copyrighted. Has anyone ever asked Agilent for permission to copy an HP
manual and put it on the web.

The manual in question (HP 5370B time interval counter) is dated 1995,
part number 05370-90031. The equipment is no longer supported. I'm
hoping to obtain a copy and was wondering where I wold stand in making
it publicly available.

Has anyone ever asked Agilent for permission to do this on equipment
manuals? I know there are a lot of dealers that do it, but whether or
not they pay for the privilidge I don't know.

Lots of people sell cd's of old HP and Tek manuals on ebay. And you
can buy an original 5370B manual lots of places.

That's a great counter, incidentally. I have 3 or 4 of them, a lot
older than '95 I think. It has 25 ps single-shot resolution, and the
jitter typically runs around 30 rms, a lot less than the new SRS
clone. The CPU is a an ancient nmos depletion-load 6800, and it'll
process about 2000 shots per second; the firmware must be heavy-duty
clever.

John

[email protected] April 22nd 05 10:15 AM

HP is enforcing their copyright over manuals, even for old unsupported
equipment. Look at this:

http://bama.sbc.edu/images/Letter%204-18-05.pdf

....Stepan

Winfield Hill April 22nd 05 12:05 PM

Stepan, wrote...

HP is enforcing their copyright over manuals, even for old
unsupported equipment. Look at this:

http://bama.sbc.edu/images/Letter%204-18-05.pdf

I see the BoatAnchor Manual Archive public-service site has
complied, http://bama.sbc.edu/hp.htm removing masses of valuable
documentation for ancient hp instruments from public availability.

That letter from Agilent's counsel is going to bring a massive
response from me as director of a Harvard University research
laboratory, directed to the relevant authorities at Agilent to
get the policy changed. It's dramatically counter-productive to
their own business interests, and it's manifestly unfair to the
owners of old HP / Agilent equipment who for one reason or another
no longer have an operating or service manual, and who cannot get
one from Agilent. For Agilent to close them off from a solution
to their problem is to render their bought and paid-for equipment
useless. It also means Agilent is capriciously denying the implied
warranty of merchantability for their older products; the product
can hardly do what it is supposed to do if the owner doesn't know
what button to push, or how to interpret the panel reading. And
it means Agilent is denying the owners' right to his own self-help
in repairing something he purchased fair and square. Moreover, it
takes a big step toward removing from the public weal the value of
old instruments, no longer manufactured, which in many cases are
not replaced by newer instruments performing the same function.

--
Thanks,
- Win

John Woodgate April 22nd 05 02:16 PM

I read in sci.electronics.design that Winfield Hill
-edu wrote (in
) about 'Copyright on HP service manuals',
on Fri, 22 Apr 2005:

That letter from Agilent's counsel is going to bring a massive
response from me as director of a Harvard University research
laboratory, directed to the relevant authorities at Agilent to
get the policy changed. It's dramatically counter-productive to
their own business interests, and it's manifestly unfair to the
owners of old HP / Agilent equipment who for one reason or another
no longer have an operating or service manual, and who cannot get
one from Agilent.

The crux is whether indeed Agilent have been habitually refusing, or
will refuse, to supply. The letter by itself is unobjectionable; someone
else should not be selling (or even providing free) a copyrighted work.

For Agilent to close them off from a solution
to their problem is to render their bought and paid-for equipment
useless. It also means Agilent is capriciously denying the implied
warranty of merchantability for their older products; the product
can hardly do what it is supposed to do if the owner doesn't know
what button to push, or how to interpret the panel reading. And
it means Agilent is denying the owners' right to his own self-help
in repairing something he purchased fair and square. Moreover, it
takes a big step toward removing from the public weal the value of
old instruments, no longer manufactured, which in many cases are
not replaced by newer instruments performing the same function.

All the above is totally pertinent IFFI Agilent refuse to supply.
'What is a Moebius strip?'

mc April 22nd 05 03:03 PM

That letter from Agilent's counsel is going to bring a massive
response from me as director of a Harvard University research
laboratory, directed to the relevant authorities at Agilent to
get the policy changed. It's dramatically counter-productive to
their own business interests,

Well said!

Does Agilent actually make money selling these old manuals? No? They
probably have always lost money selling manuals. Accordingly, they should
be glad that somebody else wants to do it for them!

Also, their copyright might be hard to enforce if they no longer sell the
manuals themselves. No loss of market; no harm; nothing to sue for.

Kryten April 22nd 05 04:09 PM

"Winfield Hill" -edu wrote in
message ...
Stepan, wrote...

HP is enforcing their copyright over manuals, even for old
unsupported equipment. Look at this:

That letter from Agilent's counsel is going to bring a massive
response from me as director of a Harvard University research
laboratory, directed to the relevant authorities at Agilent to
get the policy changed.

Maybe you could start a petition from all HP enthusiasts.

I can see HP's point in that if someone puts poor-quality scans of their
manuals up, some people might think it reflects HP quality in documentation.
I'd argue anyone smart enough to need and buy HP kit would not blame HP/Ag.

HP made a good name for good kit that did a good job and price took second
place.
They were an American icon, like Harley Davison or Maglite or Leatherman.

Then some pointy haired bunch threw away the old name, diversified into new
areas, and promptly turned a steady business into instability.

Hmph.

Perhaps one could ask HP to provide the better versions, maybe donate mint
condition manuals for scanning or even original files.

It's dramatically counter-productive to
their own business interests

On one hand they pressure people to buy new products by doing so, but as a
customer I'd be put off buying kit from a company that was so petty as to
begrudge manuals to a old customers.

Making manuals free in electronic form reduces the waste of paper and office
space, which helps everyone.

Daniel Haude April 22nd 05 04:36 PM

["Followup-To:" header set to sci.electronics.design.]
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:15:15 GMT,
wrote
in Msg.
HP is enforcing their copyright over manuals, even for old unsupported
equipment. Look at this:

That's sooo idiotic. Companies that don't want to host old stuff on their
websites any more should be *thankful* if others did so. They should offer
their stuff for free for anybody who would want to distribute it. Free
marketing.

--Daniel

Jim Thompson April 22nd 05 04:46 PM

On 22 Apr 2005 04:05:20 -0700, Winfield Hill
-edu wrote:

Stepan, wrote...

[...]

Shakespeare was correct ;-)

But I've had a bias against hp equipment for at least 30 years... a
whole lot of it was crap or became crap within one year. When I ran
the Phoenix Analog Design Center for GenRad I forbade the purchase of
hp 'scopes.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Michael April 22nd 05 05:26 PM

Jim Thompson wrote:
When I ran the Phoenix Analog Design Center for GenRad ...

GenRad. No kidding? I hadn't run into a GenRad guy for many years.
Back in '76, during college break, I interviewed for a temp. technician position
at GenRad in Concord, MA. The particular dept. developed bed-of-nails-type
board testers, the brains of which were PDP (8? 10? 11?) mini's. I was
impressed by the engineers, *very* intrigued by the work, and was quite keen to
get the job but ... some to-be college senior got it.

I wound up at Data Terminal Systems (point-of-sale terminals) in Maynard (home
of DEC, coincidently). Them thar new fangled cash registers used the PPS-4 chip
set. Very sexy. Much mo' better than a mini. :-)

Jim Thompson April 22nd 05 05:54 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:26:13 GMT, Michael wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
When I ran the Phoenix Analog Design Center for GenRad ...

GenRad. No kidding? I hadn't run into a GenRad guy for many years.
Back in '76, during college break, I interviewed for a temp. technician position
at GenRad in Concord, MA. The particular dept. developed bed-of-nails-type
board testers, the brains of which were PDP (8? 10? 11?) mini's. I was
impressed by the engineers, *very* intrigued by the work, and was quite keen to
get the job but ... some to-be college senior got it.

I wound up at Data Terminal Systems (point-of-sale terminals) in Maynard (home
of DEC, coincidently). Them thar new fangled cash registers used the PPS-4 chip
set. Very sexy. Much mo' better than a mini. :-)

Yep. I was with OmniComp (a start-up), acquired by GenRad, from
1977-1987.

Startled the hell out of me to have them start sending a monthly
pension payment when I turned 65... I didn't even know I was entitled
;-)

...Jim Thompson

Chris April 22nd 05 05:54 PM

Kryten wrote:
[...]

I'd like to be a bit of a contrarian here for once.

rant
The instrument manual the OP is seeking is available from several
sources. It's a little pricey, but is still a good value, and only a
small fraction of the price of a reconditioned HP 5370B.

Much of the value of an instrument is contained in its usability and
serviceability. A lot of the effort that goes into making a good
instrument _should_ be spent on the operating and service manuals. To
my experience, HP/Agilent has _always_ produced easily readable,
logically written manuals that are eminently helpful in using the
instrument.

An important point that's being neglected here is that these manuals
are intellectual property which has been copyrighted to make sure the
fruits of that work goes to the owners. This forum has many
well-respected engineers who depend, at least in part, on the residual
value of the intellectual property they have created in order to make a
living, through patents, non-disclosure agreements, and copyrights,
allowing them to sell the same art to more than one customer. I don't
believe they would be happy if the owners of the fruits of their labor
decided to bypass those patents and non-disclosure agreements in order
to swipe some of that value for themselves.

If a certain universally respected textbook of Electronics Engineering
went out of print (may that day never arrive) but was still under
copyright (under current law there will be many years to go), a teacher
who owned one text wouldn't have the right to make copies and sell them
to students. Copyright laws still apply. And whether that certain
universally respected textbook of Electronics Engineering was out of
print or not wouldn't have anything to do with implied warranties of
merchantability. The book would still have the same value.

Some thought should be given to the perceived value of making a really
excellent manual to the manufacturer as well. I'm sure one of the
reasons the engineers at HP were allowed by the bean counters to spend
so much time making top quality manuals was the expected return for
selling copies of those manuals after the sale. I've seen CDs for sale
which have scans of HP/Agilent instruments which are currently
supported or even in production, as well as the obsolete ones. If the
rules are changed to permit copying of manuals, the MBAs will have
another idiotic justification to cut the labor hours spent on making
the manual. I want and need good documentation when I specify an
instrument, so I can get the quality results I want and get the full
value of the meter. If everyone is making poor quality, minimalist
manuals (and those manufacturers know who they are -- so do we), none
of the instrument buyers are going to be happy.

Look at it this way. Let's assume the authors of that universally
respected textbook of Electronics Engineering knew that within several
years of publishing the 2nd edition, everyone would be using Xeroxes of
their text. Would they have taken the time to make the second edition
as great as it is? Or support it in s.e.d.? Would it have remained in
print as long as it has? And would they have enough motivation to
publish a 3rd edition (please -- just give me 30 seconds to cut the
check!).

Agilent has a webpage which recommends a number of resellers of
manuals, several of which have the one the OP is talking about. At
some time, Agilent may also be willing to look at selling the
documentation for obsolete and unsupported instruments in electronic
form, once good digital protection is available which prevents
unauthorized copying. When that happens, A of E will undoubtedly also
be in digital form, too. But either way, the intellectual property
belongs to the author, and should be respected whether the authors are
respected professors or a corporation.

Sorry for the loss of self-control. I've got my asbestos suit on --
let the flames begin.
/rant

Chris

Keith Williams April 22nd 05 06:34 PM

In article ,
says...
On 22 Apr 2005 04:05:20 -0700, Winfield Hill
-edu wrote:

Stepan,
wrote...

[...]

HP 'scopes were the pits, but I liked their multimeters (the 3456A in
particular), pulse generators, and logic analyzers (Tek/HP 50-50 split
here). I don't remember seeing an HP 'scope in any lab around. Come
to think of it my EMI spectrum analyzer (does that count as a 'scope?)
was HP. I went HP there because the Tek didn't go nearly high enough.

--
Keith

Rich Grise April 22nd 05 07:04 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:16:34 +0100, John Woodgate wrote:
I read in sci.electronics.design that Winfield Hill

The crux is whether indeed Agilent have been habitually refusing, or
will refuse, to supply. The letter by itself is unobjectionable; someone
else should not be selling (or even providing free) a copyrighted work.

old instruments, no longer manufactured, which in many cases are
not replaced by newer instruments performing the same function.

All the above is totally pertinent IFFI Agilent refuse to supply.

In other words, they could write Agilent and ask, "May we have permission
to offer these manuals on our site, as long as we give credit?"

Cheers!
Rich

John Woodgate April 22nd 05 08:33 PM

I read in sci.electronics.design that Chris wrote
(in .com) about
'Copyright on HP service manuals', on Fri, 22 Apr 2005:

An important point that's being neglected here is that these manuals
are intellectual property which has been copyrighted to make sure the
fruits of that work goes to the owners.

Absolutely NOT!!! There is no objection whatsoever to legitimate defence
of copyright.

What is NOT acceptable is to use copyright to deny ALL access to legacy
data.

IIRC, the Sherlock Holmes stories are still just in copyright. Would it
be reasonable for the estate of the author to assert the right to
prohibit the use of the words 'Sherlock Holmes' in any context?
'What is a Moebius strip?'

John Fields April 22nd 05 09:02 PM

On 22 Apr 2005 04:05:20 -0700, Winfield Hill
-edu wrote:

Stepan, wrote...

[...]

---
_If_ Agilent was closing them off from a solution, perhaps you'd have
a point. However, I understand that Agilent has licensed the
reproduction and sale of manuals and makes reference to those vendors
in their (Agilent's) web site, so that's hardly what I'd call "closing
them off from a solution".
---

It also means Agilent is capriciously denying the implied
warranty of merchantability for their older products; the product
can hardly do what it is supposed to do if the owner doesn't know
what button to push, or how to interpret the panel reading. And
it means Agilent is denying the owners' right to his own self-help
in repairing something he purchased fair and square. Moreover, it
takes a big step toward removing from the public weal the value of
old instruments, no longer manufactured, which in many cases are
not replaced by newer instruments performing the same function.

---
Blather.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

Chris April 22nd 05 09:18 PM

John Woodgate wrote:
[...]

Hi, Mr. Woodgate. Very respectfully, excessively long copyright
protection is a problem, particularly the Sonny Bono Copyright Term
Extension Act in the States, which extended copyrights to 75 to 95
years in the case of corporate copyrights, or 70 years after the death
of the author. That was another act of blatant pandering by Congress,
and it pushes right up against the copyright clause in Article I, Sec.
8 of the Constitution:

"To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for
limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their
respective Writings and Discoveries"

75 to 95 years isn't a "limited time" by my reading.

Since I got burned many years ago, I've never purchased a used
instrument without docs included or available from another source. And
in the last ten years, I've almost always been able to find the
instrument manuals I need from one legal source or another. I admit
that the price of a manual has affected my decision to buy or not once
or twice (the OP's manual costs $75 USD from one vendor), but I don't
see Agilent as actively prohibiting anyone from getting the
information. If they were doing that, they would be trying to buy up
the manuals and take them off the market.

Agilent obviously has an interest in drumming up sales, and if I were
them, I wouldn't be making too much of an effort to get potential
customers to scrounge and repair something I sold 25 years ago. The
real problem, of course, is that the manuals are not free in the age of
the internets. Well, so it goes.

I guess I'm picky about this stuff. When I get responsibility for an
instrument, I'll see that we get the docs. All manuals have to be
filed and signed out. And it really isn't much of a problem to me. I
guess my priorities are different, because I'm willing to pay for my
pleasures. Just a cost of doing business. ;-)

Good luck
Chris

mc April 22nd 05 09:35 PM

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...

An important point that's being neglected here is that these manuals
are intellectual property which has been copyrighted to make sure the
fruits of that work goes to the owners.

HP should certainly retain the copyright so that (for example) a portion of
one of their manuals couldn't be reproduced in the manual of a competing
product. But HP should be willing to let people distribute HP manuals in
complete unaltered form, because HP benefits thereby.

Winfield Hill April 23rd 05 12:32 AM

Chris wrote...

I feel the IP is embedded in the instrument, not the manual. Thus
the manual provides a way to make use of the IP you've bought and
paid for in the instrument. It's the old instruments HP / Agilent
no longer supports that we're talking about here. The simple fact
is that there are *far* more instruments out there, than original
manuals, because when one goes surplus the company's file drawers
of manuals tend to get thrown away or otherwise lost, while the old
instrument exchanges hands a few times and finds a new home.

Plus there are manuals that disappear for who knows what reason.
The manuals for some HP equipment I purchased new when I came to the
Institute 17 years ago somehow no longer exists at the Institute.
Did a postdoc carry it off with him in his files when he left? Did
it get thrown out by mistake? Who can say, but it's gone. And now
a copy is not available from Agilent, the product line having been
discontinued long ago... So I do rely on others who are willing to
make a copy to keep the IP in my instrument useful.

--
Thanks,
- Win

Michael A. Terrell April 23rd 05 02:47 AM

Chris wrote:

Kryten wrote:
[...]

You are ignoring the fact that the equipment was shipped with the
manuals to start with. As far as the image quality have you ever tried
to use those lousy microfilm manuals?
--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

mc April 23rd 05 03:28 AM

Again, this is a job for a copyright lawyer, but if Agilent *benefits* from
the "unauthorized" copying -- and cannot claim any loss of sale or any other
harm -- then a judge would laugh them out of court if they sued you.

Chris April 23rd 05 06:16 AM

Winfield Hill wrote:
[...]

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Mr. Hill. I stand corrected --
there are far more "orphaned" old HP instruments out there than
original manuals. Your point is valid.

Maintaining an instrument document control system is relatively easy in
a manufacturing facility with a limited number of engineering
personnel. It's certainly much more difficult in an academic
environment with dozens or even hundreds of students who all want
access to the instruments and their manuals, and don't have enough
experience with instruments to make educated guesses about how they
work.

Agilent and other manufacturers might be inclined to cut academic
institutions some slack as far as making copies of manuals for internal
use. I'm sure they want their meters to be specified by as many future
engineers and professors as possible. Considering your special
requirements, they may be inclined to allow a limited waiver in your
case.

People who need the OP/SV manuals will generally get them, whether
through purchasing a used manual, copying one from someone else, or
another means. The market, like life, usually finds a way. Although I
can understand why, I don't think not selling new manuals helps Agilent
get more business. They may wake up some day and farm out their
obsolete instrument documentation orders to either a book on demand or
lawyer's/barrister's Xeroxing firm. They could provide ring- or
comb-bound copies of these operating and service manuals with only an
additional day or two on turnaround compared to keeping thousands of
cubic meters of printed manuals on the shelf in stock. I know of
several automation machinery manufacturers that do just this with their
prints and manuals very profitably. Until then, Agilent is
perpetuating a bad setup, and annoying loyal customers.

I guess I'll keep doing it my way, though. If one is willing to pay,
there isn't much of a shortage of manuals now on most common older
"orphaned" HP instruments these days. (Of course, if more people felt
the way I did, the limited supply would undoubtedly dry up, as you
suggested.) I agree that the value of the instrument is inherent in
the instrument itself, not the manual. But just the fact that we're
having this conversation indicates the documentation is of value,
although of another kind. It allows me to utilize the investment in
the instrument. And I find that value sufficient that, if I cut a CER
for a used/reconditioned "orphaned" HP instrument, I'll make sure to
include the purchase price of a legal copy of the manual from
ManualsPlus or another of the instrument documentation resellers along
with it. I'm saving more than enough by buying used to afford a little
more for the docs. As a bonus, I can get it FedExed so it arrives
before the instrument, and I will have read it and be just about ready
to roll when the box arrives.

Thanks again (and the check is still ready to be signed ;-)
Chris

Watson A.Name - \Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\ April 23rd 05 07:13 AM

"Winfield Hill" -edu wrote in
message ...
Stepan, wrote...

[...]

Agreed. What is it about lawyers? These land sharks have this
mentality that if their corporation doesn't say NO to absolutely
everything - that if even one teeny-weeny yes gets out, that sheer
pandemonium will result.

As a result, counsel recommends (and usually gets their way) that any -
even the smallest - violation be immediately stopped. One example.
http://www.elvislounge.com/barrykoltnow.html It's truly shameful.

Another point. Because of corporate bullying of copyright infringement,
the price of manual often exceeds the price of the used equipment it
belongs to. So sellers buy scrap not for the value of the equipment,
but for the manuals they contain.

--
Thanks,
- Win

Watson A.Name - \Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\ April 23rd 05 07:34 AM

"John Woodgate" wrote in message
[...]

One thought. Many of the test equipment (and manuals) were duplicated
for the miltary. One off the top of my head is the AN/USM-81 which was
the same as the Tek 541 'scope, IIRC. This may not be copyrighted, or
may have some other way of getting around the copyright laws. And many
schools, such as the military schools, published schematics to use for
training.

Also, I'm sure that some other countries had something similar, such as
when NATO or other int'l org published an equipment manual in a foreign
language. Hey, a schematic is a schematic, even if it's in French,
right? ;-))

'What is a Moebius strip?'

Watson A.Name - \Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\ April 23rd 05 07:50 AM

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message

[snip]

But I've had a bias against hp equipment for at least 30 years... a
whole lot of it was crap or became crap within one year. When I ran
the Phoenix Analog Design Center for GenRad I forbade the purchase of
hp 'scopes.

But their scopes always took a back seat to Tek, so if they didn't want
to flush money down the toilet, they would not have bothered to invest
the money to make and sell a scope that was competetive with Tek.

However I used a HP 1741 back in '79, and I thought it was a solid
scope. It was a blessing after rubbing my fingers raw from turning the
timebase and other knobs 100's of times a day on a Tek toob scope. The
HP probably saved the company tons of money on electric and air
conditioning costs by getting rid of those old Tek toob scopes, which
used a half a kilowatt of power all day long.

...Jim Thompson
--

Watson A.Name - \Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\ April 23rd 05 08:09 AM

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]

I'd like to be a bit of a contrarian here for once.

rant

[snip]

An important point that's being neglected here is that these manuals
are intellectual property which has been copyrighted to make sure the
fruits of that work goes to the owners.

Many of these equipoments and manuals are no longer sold or supported by
HP. So I don't see what benefit they get by enforcing their copyrights.
All they seem to do is make it exceedingly difficult and miserable for
the owners of that old equipment.

This forum has many
well-respected engineers who depend, at least in part, on the residual
value of the intellectual property they have created in order to make

living, through patents, non-disclosure agreements, and copyrights,
allowing them to sell the same art to more than one customer. I don't
believe they would be happy if the owners of the fruits of their labor
decided to bypass those patents and non-disclosure agreements in order
to swipe some of that value for themselves.

As I said, no longer sold or supported, so this doesn't apply.

[snip]

Agilent has a webpage which recommends a number of resellers of
manuals, several of which have the one the OP is talking about.

Do they get a payment from the manual reseller when a manual is sold? I
doubt it.

[snip]
/rant

Chris

Robert Baer April 23rd 05 08:36 AM

Jim Thompson wrote:

On 22 Apr 2005 04:05:20 -0700, Winfield Hill
-edu wrote:

Stepan, wrote...

[...]

Do not know about their scopes, but i still have an HP410C analog VOM
in excellent condition; only had to replace pass transistor in power
supply once.
I got the manual when i got the meter, so there has never been a
problem for calibration or repair.

[email protected] April 23rd 05 08:42 AM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:34:35 -0700, "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the
Dark Remover\"" wrote:

One thought. Many of the test equipment (and manuals) were duplicated
for the miltary. One off the top of my head is the AN/USM-81 which was
the same as the Tek 541 'scope, IIRC. This may not be copyrighted, or
may have some other way of getting around the copyright laws. And many
schools, such as the military schools, published schematics to use for
training.

Jeepers, I wish those military manuals were better. I downloaded a few
of them from https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/online.htm and although
they were usefull, they certainly were not up to par when compared to
the real thing. Often unreadable schematics and missing vital info.

If anyone has found a better place to download this stuff then I'd
love to see a follow up post about it.

On a side note, it's my experience that there are not many folks out
there who really know how to maintain electronic records without
corruption and loss for more than a few years. I've seen data get
corrupt because folks do silly things like copy large repositories of
data from one place to another and then neglect to do a binary
compare, run disk defrag software against large drives containing
valuable data on machines with crappy systemic bit-error-rates,
transfer gigabytes of data on computers without ECC memory or
without UPS protection, no backup strategies or crappy media or
unmaintained tape drives. Failure to check C1/C2 error rates on
freshly burned CDROMS, and on and on. Many perils.

It is awakening to see how a paper record can last thousands of years
while digital data evaporates out of EEPROMS and magnetic media in a
few ephemeral years even before the copyright has a chance to expire.
When the duration of copyright protection, far exceeds the data
retention of digital media, then there is an increased risk of loosing
it. This is not the fault of copyright but a weakness of the media and
a lack of use of digital signatures to prove authenticity or heritage.

It's interesting to note how long ago the DNA of dinasours appeared on
earth, in comparison to the half-life of digitally preserved data.
Note also that data evolves over time in a way reminiscent of the
evolution of DNA in living species. After all,only the most valuable
data survives and it is constantly improved upon and stepwise changed.
Data however, seems to evolve much more quickly than living species,
and the host machines it lives in seem to evolve with it at an equally
fast rate.

Stepan

Robert Baer April 23rd 05 08:50 AM

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Chris wrote:

Kryten wrote:

[...]

On one HP gear that i had bought, i had to settle for the manual
(from HP) in the form of microfiche; the equipment was long
discontinued, and that was all they had.
The quality of the copy was excellent.

[email protected] April 23rd 05 08:51 AM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:42:30 GMT, wrote:

On a side note, it's my experience that there are not many folks out
there who really know how to maintain electronic records without
corruption and loss for more than a few years.

It just occured to me that I used to do a nifty thing to protect my
most valuable data from single byte corruption as can be caused by
oxidized memory DIM contacts etc. I would burn the data to a RAW
CDROM image file which includes error correction and just save it to
my hard drive. Once I did that I could open up the CD image in a hex
editor and pepper it full of crap, but then when I would mount it the
error correction would keep it perfectly readable! Pretty cool.

Stepan

Robert Baer April 23rd 05 08:59 AM

[...]

Check, double-check, check-mate, and GAME!

Eric Smith April 23rd 05 10:51 AM

writes:
It just occured to me that I used to do a nifty thing to protect my
most valuable data from single byte corruption as can be caused by
oxidized memory DIM contacts etc. I would burn the data to a RAW
CDROM image file which includes error correction and just save it to
my hard drive. Once I did that I could open up the CD image in a hex
editor and pepper it full of crap, but then when I would mount it the
error correction would keep it perfectly readable! Pretty cool.

Unfortunately that won't really work.

A CD-ROM image is normally an ISO 9660 image, which doesn't contain
the error correction codes. It only has the 2048-byte data payload of
each sector.

Some software will let you generate a "raw" image (2352 byte sectors
rather than 2048). This does contain the top level of the error
correction codes. But it doesn't have the bottom two layers, or the
interleaving, so by itself it doesn't gain much.

See "The Art of Digital Audio" by Watkinson or "Principles of Digital
Audio" by Pohlman for details of the CD-Audio format (Red Book), or
buy a copy of ISO 60908.

The CD-ROM format is layered on top of the CD-Audio format, as documented
in the Yellow Book. ECMA 130 is equivalent to the relevant portion of
the Yellow Book, and a PDF file can be downloaded at no charge:
http://www.ecma-international.org/pu...s/Ecma-130.htm

If you're worried about data corruption, you are best off keeping multiple
copies of your data, preferrably on separate mediums. And it probably is
worthwhile to either put it in ZIP files (which store a CRC of the file
to detect corruption), or to store an MD5SUM of the file on the same medium.

Eric

John Woodgate April 23rd 05 10:52 AM

I read in sci.electronics.design that wrote (in
) about 'Copyright on HP
service manuals', on Sat, 23 Apr 2005:

It's interesting to note how long ago the DNA of dinasours appeared on
earth, in comparison to the half-life of digitally preserved data.

Why stop a dinosaurs, 65 million years ago? The oldest DNA still
identifiable in living creatures ('cyanobacteria') is about 3.8 billion
years old.
'What is a Moebius strip?'

John Woodgate April 23rd 05 10:56 AM

I read in sci.electronics.design that Robert Baer
wrote (in
.net) about
'Copyright on HP service manuals', on Sat, 23 Apr 2005:
On one HP gear that i had bought, i had to settle for the manual
(from HP) in the form of microfiche; the equipment was long
discontinued, and that was all they had.
The quality of the copy was excellent.

But they vary a lot. When British Standards were available in public
libraries on microfiche, some were OK and others almost unreadable. One
man's fiche is another man's poisson.
'What is a Moebius strip?'

Spehro Pefhany April 23rd 05 12:52 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:03:10 -0400, the renowned "mc"
wrote:

That letter from Agilent's counsel is going to bring a massive
response from me as director of a Harvard University research
laboratory, directed to the relevant authorities at Agilent to
get the policy changed. It's dramatically counter-productive to
their own business interests,

Well said!

Does Agilent actually make money selling these old manuals? No? They
probably have always lost money selling manuals. Accordingly, they should
be glad that somebody else wants to do it for them!

Also, their copyright might be hard to enforce if they no longer sell the
manuals themselves. No loss of market; no harm; nothing to sue for.

I think you underestimate the legal mind. One could argue that the
copyright infringement unnaturally prolongs the useful life of
unsupported HP/Agilent instruments, thus reducing the overall market
for new instruments. It's perhaps possible to dig up figures that
would support a cost to Agilent of x% of a new instrument for every
instance of infringement.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Leonard Caillouet April 23rd 05 01:22 PM

Obviously, HP is well within their rights to do so. The electronics market
is also well within its rights to say screw you to such application
insensitive nonsense.

All this discussion of the matter is silly. The letter from HP indicates a
lousy attitude about support and the reaction that it sucks is reasonable.
The fact is that people will continue to distribute obsolete manuals because
there is a market. It is doubtful that HP and others will go to great
expense to stop it.

I am sure that the data from the database will be erased and never
accidentally show up somewhere else...right, sure.

Come to the real world people.

Leonard

Winfield Hill April 23rd 05 01:57 PM

John Woodgate wrote...

One man's fiche is another man's poisson.

http://www.poissonrouge.com/toys/index.htm

--
Thanks,
- Win

Rich Grise April 23rd 05 04:31 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:50:26 -0700, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark
Remover" wrote:
[...]

HP dumped their REALLY crap scopes on the military. The worst scope I
ever tried to use was an HP in a waterproof AGE[1] box. Not only did it
have the legendary "can't trigger" problem that's endemic to HP scopes,
but the waterproof knobs gave new meaning to the term "backlash."

But then again, the only thing I could honestly testify to re HP test
equipment is they never got the triggering as good as Tek. All of their
other stuff was, as we all know, essentially perfect.

Cheers!
Rich

[1] Aerospace Ground Equipment