Matthieu Benoit

Default cdrom reader repair hint : door doesn't open

Hello,
I am trying to repair a cdrom reader LG 52X MAX
(GOLDSTAR Model : CRD-8522B)
Which problem is that door can't open : it seems blocked
but if I manually help with a metal wire through de hole
it opens correctly , and when fully opened it seems to close
again in few seconds ; then in order to make the cd readable
I have to push a bit on the door;
I have fully opened the mechanics and I have not noticed nothing
special that would be wrong :
could you give me hints about such a failure which I have
noticed happens often on cdrom reader.
could it be an electronical problem ? if so what ?
what do you advise me to do?
I thank you for any hint,
If you have interesting links that explain cdrom repair, I am
interested,
Matthieu
Michael Black

Matthieu Benoit ) writes:
Hello,
I am trying to repair a cdrom reader LG 52X MAX
(GOLDSTAR Model : CRD-8522B)
Which problem is that door can't open : it seems blocked
but if I manually help with a metal wire through de hole
it opens correctly , and when fully opened it seems to close
again in few seconds ; then in order to make the cd readable
I have to push a bit on the door;
I have fully opened the mechanics and I have not noticed nothing
special that would be wrong :
could you give me hints about such a failure which I have
noticed happens often on cdrom reader.
could it be an electronical problem ? if so what ?
what do you advise me to do?
I thank you for any hint,
If you have interesting links that explain cdrom repair, I am
interested,
Matthieu

Well you should look at the FAQ for CD repair at http://www.repairfaq.org

Realize that there are two switches inside the drive. One tells the
electronics that the door is open, the other that it is closed.
If one of those switches has gone bad, or are somehow not be activated
when they are supposed to, the electronics won't know the state of
the door. Then it can't decide whether it should be operating the
motor to open the door, or operate the motor to close the door, or
just sit there.

Micahel

Ken

Matthieu Benoit wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to repair a cdrom reader LG 52X MAX
(GOLDSTAR Model : CRD-8522B)
Which problem is that door can't open : it seems blocked
but if I manually help with a metal wire through de hole
it opens correctly , and when fully opened it seems to close
again in few seconds ; then in order to make the cd readable
I have to push a bit on the door;
I have fully opened the mechanics and I have not noticed nothing
special that would be wrong :
could you give me hints about such a failure which I have
noticed happens often on cdrom reader.
could it be an electronical problem ? if so what ?
what do you advise me to do?
I thank you for any hint,
If you have interesting links that explain cdrom repair, I am
interested,
Matthieu

Along the line of what Michael said, the switches often do not close
properly if the mechanics don't fully reach the expected end of their
travel. There are gears and pulleys that may be obstructed or dirty, or
even have a loose drive belt, and not fully reach their fully open or
closed point. Open the drive and I think you will see what I mean.
Matthieu Benoit

Ken wrote:

Matthieu Benoit wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much both for your explainations,
owing to what is written above I have succeeded to repair the unit by
replacing the gear and pulley in the right position (just pick it off
and pick it in), verify the belt and now it works fine, also eliminated
dust.
thank you very much,
Matthieu