DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronic Schematics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/)
-   -   Odd Breaker Situation... (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/371358-odd-breaker-situation.html)

Jim Thompson[_3_] May 31st 14 09:55 PM

Odd Breaker Situation...

Changing out the cheapy light fixtures that came with the house, I
turn the switch off, remove the old fixture, accidentally bump common
(white) against frame (green) and breaker popped.

Measure white with DMM... AC-level is a few hundred mV (noise?).

Measure black with DMM... AC-level is even smaller.

Likewise black to white.

Touch black to green... nothing.

Touch white to green... pop.

Do these new breakers have the equivalent of GFCI built-in?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

[email protected] May 31st 14 10:05 PM

Odd Breaker Situation...

On Sat, 31 May 2014 13:55:54 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Odd Breaker Situation...

Changing out the cheapy light fixtures that came with the house, I
turn the switch off, remove the old fixture, accidentally bump common
(white) against frame (green) and breaker popped.

Measure white with DMM... AC-level is a few hundred mV (noise?).

Measure black with DMM... AC-level is even smaller.

Likewise black to white.

Touch black to green... nothing.

Touch white to green... pop.

Do these new breakers have the equivalent of GFCI built-in?

Arc-fault breakers? Switch in the wrong side?

Martin Riddle May 31st 14 11:24 PM

Odd Breaker Situation...

wrote:

Odd Breaker Situation...

Changing out the cheapy light fixtures that came with the house, I
turn the switch off, remove the old fixture, accidentally bump common
(white) against frame (green) and breaker popped.

Measure white with DMM... AC-level is a few hundred mV (noise?).

Measure black with DMM... AC-level is even smaller.

Likewise black to white.

Touch black to green... nothing.

Touch white to green... pop.

Do these new breakers have the equivalent of GFCI built-in?

...Jim Thompson

Neutral and ground should be bonded at the service panel.
Sounds like something is wired wrong.

It is also legal to use a white wire but mark it with black tape to
use it as 'LINE' or HOT.

CHeers

Maynard A. Philbrook Jr. June 1st 14 12:55 AM

Odd Breaker Situation...

In article , To-Email-Use-
says...

Odd Breaker Situation...

Changing out the cheapy light fixtures that came with the house, I
turn the switch off, remove the old fixture, accidentally bump common
(white) against frame (green) and breaker popped.

Measure white with DMM... AC-level is a few hundred mV (noise?).

Measure black with DMM... AC-level is even smaller.

Likewise black to white.

Touch black to green... nothing.

Touch white to green... pop.

Do these new breakers have the equivalent of GFCI built-in?

...Jim Thompson

Yes, you most likely have GFCI breakers.

joining ground and N at that location should cause a trip, and it seems
it's working..
that should work even if the Black wire is dead, due to your light
switch being off because the other wires N are still connected to the
system.
Appliances are suppose to balance the N line or use a transformer, this
method will detect a N hitting ground directly when it's not suppose at
the user end.

The breaker still has both L1 and L2 alive in it so when N hits ground
you have a imbalance.

Sounds like it's working fine.

Jamie