Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default Odd Breaker Situation...

Odd Breaker Situation...

Changing out the cheapy light fixtures that came with the house, I
turn the switch off, remove the old fixture, accidentally bump common
(white) against frame (green) and breaker popped.

Measure white with DMM... AC-level is a few hundred mV (noise?).

Measure black with DMM... AC-level is even smaller.

Likewise black to white.

Touch black to green... nothing.

Touch white to green... pop.

Do these new breakers have the equivalent of GFCI built-in?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 31 May 2014 13:55:54 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Odd Breaker Situation...

Changing out the cheapy light fixtures that came with the house, I
turn the switch off, remove the old fixture, accidentally bump common
(white) against frame (green) and breaker popped.

Measure white with DMM... AC-level is a few hundred mV (noise?).

Measure black with DMM... AC-level is even smaller.

Likewise black to white.

Touch black to green... nothing.

Touch white to green... pop.

Do these new breakers have the equivalent of GFCI built-in?

Arc-fault breakers? Switch in the wrong side?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Odd Breaker Situation...

Changing out the cheapy light fixtures that came with the house, I
turn the switch off, remove the old fixture, accidentally bump common
(white) against frame (green) and breaker popped.

Measure white with DMM... AC-level is a few hundred mV (noise?).

Measure black with DMM... AC-level is even smaller.

Likewise black to white.

Touch black to green... nothing.

Touch white to green... pop.

Do these new breakers have the equivalent of GFCI built-in?

...Jim Thompson

Neutral and ground should be bonded at the service panel.
Sounds like something is wired wrong.

It is also legal to use a white wire but mark it with black tape to
use it as 'LINE' or HOT.

CHeers