Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default OCXo

hallo
I have a double oven OCXO (type MV89A , Marion (C-max)) -
10 MC , power supply = 12 V -current is 350 a 400 mA

Is it normal that the temperature of the outside housing, is SO hot
that it is hardly can holding in the hand
(measurement = + 60 ° Celsius) ?
the room temperature is +/- 23 °C

Lucas

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 18:52:04 +0100, Lucas wrote:

hallo
I have a double oven OCXO (type MV89A , Marion (C-max)) -
10 MC , power supply = 12 V -current is 350 a 400 mA

Is it normal that the temperature of the outside housing, is SO hot
that it is hardly can holding in the hand
(measurement = + 60 ° Celsius) ?
the room temperature is +/- 23 °C

---
+/- 23C about what?

---
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 12:25:07 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 18:52:04 +0100, Lucas wrote:

hallo
I have a double oven OCXO (type MV89A , Marion (C-max)) -
10 MC , power supply = 12 V -current is 350 a 400 mA

Is it normal that the temperature of the outside housing, is SO hot
that it is hardly can holding in the hand
(measurement = + 60 ° Celsius) ?
the room temperature is +/- 23 °C

---
+/- 23C about what?

---
JF

JF,
23 °Celsius is the room temperature where the is OCXO is in test,
for the moment the OCXO is not build in a box ,
the normal temperature in the house is +/- 23 degrees Celsius, there
is the OCXO in test

Lucas

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Lucas wrote:

the normal temperature in the house is +/- 23 degrees Celsius, there
is the OCXO in test

The normal temperature is plus or minus 23 degrees C? What does this even
mean? That the normal temperature in your house varies from +23 to -23 C?

For the answer to your question, have you asked the people who sold it to
you? Or checked the instruction manual? If the equipment is operating
properly, it's probably not a problem.

Why do you ask?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

I'm still confused.

If 23C is the nominal room temperature and the "normal" temperature in
the house will vary +/- 23C around nominal, does that mean that the
OXCO will be tested from 0C to 46C?

---
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Lucas wrote:

the normal temperature in the house is +/- 23 degrees Celsius, there
is the OCXO in test

The normal temperature is plus or minus 23 degrees C? What does this even
mean? That the normal temperature in your house varies from +23 to -23 C?

For the answer to your question, have you asked the people who sold it to
you? Or checked the instruction manual? If the equipment is operating
properly, it's probably not a problem.

Why do you ask?

Thanks,
Rich

Did you consider that he may mean the normal temp is
"more or less" 23 degrees?
Art

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 18:52:04 +0100, Lucas wrote:

hallo
I have a double oven OCXO (type MV89A , Marion (C-max)) -
10 MC , power supply = 12 V -current is 350 a 400 mA

Is it normal that the temperature of the outside housing, is SO hot
that it is hardly can holding in the hand
(measurement = + 60 ° Celsius) ?
the room temperature is +/- 23 °C

---
+/- 23C about what?

---
JF

JF,
23 °Celsius is the room temperature where the is OCXO is in test,
for the moment the OCXO is not build in a box ,
the normal temperature in the house is +/- 23 degrees Celsius, there
is the OCXO in test

What's confusing him is putting +/- in front of the 23C

Lucas

Sorry, maybe a bit confusing....:

the temperature is +23 C in the room - the normal temparature
in a living room.... fluctuation is maybe a few degrees --

I do not mean that the temperaturature fluctuate from -23C to +23C
degrees, NO , no ...... the temperture is 'about' 23 ° Celsiuis

The OCXO is in test, in these room tempearture ,
but the housing of the OCXO (type MV89A) in the room temp ( 23 C)
is about 60 C -- and ' very hot ' to hold in the hand....

the question: is this temp of the outside 'OCXO housing' normal ?

Lucas

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Lucas wrote:

I do not mean that the temperaturature fluctuate from -23C to +23C
degrees, NO , no ...... the temperture is 'about' 23 ° Celsiuis

Just FYI (for your information), if you mean it's 23C with a bit of
variation, the convention amongst American English speakers would
be "23 C, +/-" where the '+/-' is understood to mean "by not enough to
make that much difference."

The OCXO is in test, in these room tempearture ,
but the housing of the OCXO (type MV89A) in the room temp ( 23 C)
is about 60 C -- and ' very hot ' to hold in the hand....

Maybe it's supposed to be that way, and you're not supposed to hold it in
your hand while it's in operation. It is an "oven" after all. What does the
owner/operator manual say?

Another popular American colloquialism is, "When all else fails, read the
instructions." ;-D

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Artemus wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Lucas wrote:

the normal temperature in the house is +/- 23 degrees Celsius, there
is the OCXO in test

The normal temperature is plus or minus 23 degrees C? What does this even
mean? That the normal temperature in your house varies from +23 to -23 C?

For the answer to your question, have you asked the people who sold it to
you? Or checked the instruction manual? If the equipment is operating
properly, it's probably not a problem.

Why do you ask?

Did you consider that he may mean the normal temp is
"more or less" 23 degrees?

Yes, he's explained that - but I was wondering, why is he worried about the
60C of the oven? Maybe that's its normal operation; it is an _oven_, after
all. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 18:52:04 +0100, Lucas wrote:

hallo
I have a double oven OCXO (type MV89A , Marion (C-max)) -
10 MC , power supply = 12 V -current is 350 a 400 mA

Is it normal that the temperature of the outside housing, is SO hot
that it is hardly can holding in the hand
(measurement = + 60 ° Celsius) ?
the room temperature is +/- 23 °C

---
+/- 23C about what?

---
JF

JF,
23 °Celsius is the room temperature where the is OCXO is in test,
for the moment the OCXO is not build in a box ,
the normal temperature in the house is +/- 23 degrees Celsius, there
is the OCXO in test

Lucas

If you mean that the ambient temperature is about 23 C, say "about 23
C", or "~23 C", or "23 C +/- 5". Saying +/-23 C implies that the
temperature varies from -23 C to +23 C.

According to the datasheet, the MV89A stability specs hold for ambient
temperatures of 0 to 55 C. This implies to me that the internal oven
temperature is somewhat above 55 C - otherwise the thing could not
regulate the crystal temperature. Therefore, your 60 degree reading
is not unreasonable.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Lucas wrote:
hallo
I have a double oven OCXO (type MV89A , Marion (C-max)) -
10 MC , power supply = 12 V -current is 350 a 400 mA

Is it normal that the temperature of the outside housing, is SO hot
that it is hardly can holding in the hand
(measurement = + 60 ° Celsius) ?
the room temperature is +/- 23 °C

Lucas

I don't have this specifc model OXCO, but I have several of this general
type, and none of them get even close to being hot. I've never measured the
operating case temp, they seem to be maybe 10C above ambient. Yours might
have a bad outer oven control circuit, letting it run wide open. Have you
monitored the frequency after it's been on for 15-20 minutes? If it's way
off, then chances are that you have a bad oscillator.
These units are hermetically sealed (soldered), so it's going to be a bit of
work getting it apart if you decide to fix it.

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 16:19:08 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Lucas wrote:

[...]

Isn't it, actually, "RTFM" ?

---
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Lucas wrote:

[...]

Ok, yes I know 'RTFM'.....but I do not find anything about the
temperature of OCXO itself ....

or do you can give me a link with more specifications about the MV89 ?
I've already 'goole ' around,
I've an other 'double Oven XO' and this like to me, more realistic
for temperature of the outside housing ...I think about 40 C..

Lucas
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

That's what I presumed since it's what I would expect.

I do not mean that the temperaturature fluctuate from -23C to +23C
degrees, NO , no ...... the temperture is 'about' 23 ° Celsiuis

Putting +/- in front implies it's a range or tolerance spec, like 50C
+/- 2C meaning 48C-52C with 50C being nominal. That's why he asked
"around what?"

The OCXO is in test, in these room tempearture ,
but the housing of the OCXO (type MV89A) in the room temp ( 23 C)
is about 60 C -- and ' very hot ' to hold in the hand....

the question: is this temp of the outside 'OCXO housing' normal ?

Can't really help much there (I was just trying to help the
communication) but I wouldn't be surprised. Interior is probably on
the order of 70C-80C and something that small isn't likely to have a
heck of a lot of thermal insulation. But I'm just guessing.

Lucas

maybe , I had beter explaened with '23 C' ....about that temperature,
within an tolerance of a few degrees..

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 13:58:16 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Lucas wrote:

the normal temperature in the house is +/- 23 degrees Celsius, there
is the OCXO in test

The normal temperature is plus or minus 23 degrees C? What does this even
mean? That the normal temperature in your house varies from +23 to -23 C?

For the answer to your question, have you asked the people who sold it to
you? Or checked the instruction manual? If the equipment is operating
properly, it's probably not a problem.

Why do you ask?

Thanks,
Rich

Did you consider that he may mean the normal temp is
"more or less" 23 degrees?
Art

Sorry , maybe a little confusion
+/- , I ment 'aroun ...about 23 C (within a tolerance of a few
degrees)
In Europe the temperature of the living room
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 16:21:09 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Artemus wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Lucas wrote:

the normal temperature in the house is +/- 23 degrees Celsius, there
is the OCXO in test

The normal temperature is plus or minus 23 degrees C? What does this even
mean? That the normal temperature in your house varies from +23 to -23 C?

For the answer to your question, have you asked the people who sold it to
you? Or checked the instruction manual? If the equipment is operating
properly, it's probably not a problem.

Why do you ask?

Did you consider that he may mean the normal temp is
"more or less" 23 degrees?

Yes, he's explained that - but I was wondering, why is he worried about the
60C of the oven? Maybe that's its normal operation; it is an _oven_, after
all. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Indeed , it's an double 'oven' ,but I've an ather one OCXO (also
double) and housing temp is realy lower , its a big difference

Lucas
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Yes, you probalty right...

but I wonder : if anyone has an D-OCXO MV89A ,
so he can confirm if is OK ,
because the other OCXO oven is less warmer in the same room
temperature
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 18:51:55 -0600, "Dave M"
wrote:

Lucas wrote:
[...]

That is also my thinking : about 40 C is pretty above the ambient.

Yes , the freq when warming up is decreasing .
Maybe, is normal for this type of OCXO ...
but still , I find it 'very' hot after warming up time ...

greetings
Lucas
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Lucas wrote:

Indeed , it's an double 'oven' ,but I've an ather one OCXO (also
double) and housing temp is realy lower , its a big difference

It might have been helpful if you'd said this in the beginning, but here we
are now, and the other question remains: Other than it being hot to the
touch, is it working properly? Is its output within spec? Is the hot oven
hurting the other portions of the equipment?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Lucas wrote:
On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 13:58:16 -0800, "Artemus"

Did you consider that he may mean the normal temp is
"more or less" 23 degrees?
Art

Sorry , maybe a little confusion
+/- , I ment 'aroun ...about 23 C (within a tolerance of a few
degrees)
In Europe the temperature of the living room

Yeah, for us Americans, a tilde serves the purpose - it means "approximately
equal to" in arithmetic, i.e., ~23 C. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 18:36:28 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Lucas wrote:
On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 13:58:16 -0800, "Artemus"

Did you consider that he may mean the normal temp is
"more or less" 23 degrees?
Art

Sorry , maybe a little confusion
+/- , I ment 'aroun ...about 23 C (within a tolerance of a few
degrees)
In Europe the temperature of the living room

Yeah, for us Americans, a tilde serves the purpose - it means "approximately
equal to" in arithmetic, i.e., ~23 C. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

OK Rich ,
thanks for the info, ..... ah so, I can believe the confusion,
I am learing every day !

greetings
Lucas
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Lucas wrote:
[...]

How much it changes during warmup doesn't matter; what's important is
what the frequency settles to once the oven warms up and how much it
varies as the ambient temperature changes.

---
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" schreef in bericht

wrote:

Lucas wrote:

[...]

http://www.morion.com.ru/eng/oscillators/ocxo/

The spec sheet won't help but maybe you can contact them and ask.

I've an other 'double Oven XO' and this like to me, more realistic
for temperature of the outside housing ...I think about 40 C..

Lucas

But the spec. reads:
Current consumption at steady state @ 25C 80mA (12V version)

So the unit is supposed to consume (somewhat less then) about 1W. Comparing
its temperature to the temparature of a fully loaded 1W resistor maybe a
learning experiment.

petrus bitbyter

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Lucas" schreef in bericht

wrote:

Lucas wrote:

[...]

So flipper pointed to the spec sheet already.

The spec. reads:
Current consumption at steady state @ 25C 80mA (12V version)

Did you measure the current after the warming up time? If that's 350mA or
more, you can be sure something's wrong. According to the spec the current
should be 300mA even during warming up.

Did you by chanche power a 5V type by a 12V supply?

petrus bitbyter

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 15:02:04 +0100, "petrus bitbyter"
wrote:

"flipper" schreef in bericht
. ..

?
I've already 'goole ' around,

http://www.morion.com.ru/eng/oscillators/ocxo/

The spec sheet won't help but maybe you can contact them and ask.

I've an other 'double Oven XO' and this like to me, more
realistic
for temperature of the outside housing ...I think about 40 C..

Lucas

But the spec. reads:
Current consumption at steady state @ 25C 80mA (12V version)

So the unit is supposed to consume (somewhat less then) about 1W.
Comparing
its temperature to the temparature of a fully loaded 1W resistor maybe
learning experiment.

petrus bitbyter

What spec sheet are you reading? It is an MV89 we're talking about,
isn't it?

http://www.morion.com.ru/catalog_pdf/MV89-OCXO.pdf

Says

Power supply (Us) 12V+-5%

Steady state current consumption @
25oC (still air) 350 mA

Peak current consumption during
warm-up @ 25oC 1.5 A

I was thinking no 'case temperature' number when I posted but he could
determine if it's running 'full out', as someone postulated, by
measuring the current draw.

Hey guys, isn't the oven temp supposed to be higher than the max
operational temp?
in this case the A version is 0-55c , so 60c seems correct.

Glad I could assist

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" schreef in bericht
On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 15:02:04 +0100, "petrus bitbyter"
wrote:

"flipper" schreef in bericht
. ..

wrote:

Lucas wrote:

[...]

Sorry (blush) but I used the wrong datasheet. So we're on 350*12 = 4.2W
which can be compared to a 33R/5W resistor. Such a thing will become hot
when dissipating 4.2W. So measuring the supply current of the OXCO will give
a usefull indicaton of its inner condition.

petrus bitbyter

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default OCXo (wrong datasheet)

"petrus bitbyter" schreef in bericht
l.nl...

"Lucas" schreef in bericht

wrote:

Lucas wrote:

[...]

Sorry but I consulted a wrong datasheet. The right one reads:
Current consumption at steady state @ 25C 350mA
As the warmup time is 15min. the device may be ok with that 350mA current
after the 15min. When the current stays above that 350mA however there's
something wrong. (Which, of course, is obvious.)

petrus bitbyter

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 16:26:35 +0100, "petrus bitbyter"
wrote:

"petrus bitbyter" schreef in bericht
ll.nl...

"Lucas" schreef in bericht

wrote:

Lucas wrote:

[...]

Yes indeed is's the MV89A ,
but'ordering nr is not conform the data sheet':
on the label :

OCXOMV89A XO00281M-CT-MV89
from Morion Inc - Saint petersburg

The power supply = 12V and stable from a professional power supply,
'power on' current is about 0.8 a 1 Amp , and decrease to 270 -
300 mA
stable about 330 mA at the room temperature in free air.
(the OCXO is not yet build in a housing (my intention s to use the
device as timebase for a HP 5326B counter) ,
The HP 5326 has the possibility to connect an external timebase
via BNC plug .

When I put something cold on the housing of OCXO (in free air) the
current increase to more then 500 mA, and the freq look stable (a
few 0.1 Hz for 10 Mhz source)

finaly the OCXO seems not so bad ...

I 'll try to get more information from Morion Inc.
maybe , it's normal ... ,
but I've an other 10 Mc , also 'double oven' and the temperature of
the housing is less (maybay ..30 a 40C)

Lucas

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Flipper wrote
Could be the thermal insulation isn't as good on the MV89 but I note
that the MV89 has the highest rated stability on the Morion list and
the only other one equal to it (MV216) has similar power requirements
with lower power units having lower stability.

I'm not sure why that would be the case but maybe the difference is
due to the MV89 being more stable (if it is) than the 'other one' you
have.

Might be related to how good a buffer the outer oven is since that
would determine how hard the inner over has to work.

indeed,

the 'other one' is STP2055B from CIC = 'Chongho Information &
Comminication Co Ltd' - I found not many specification ...
(by C-MAX now Rakom -- I see the technical specification at Ebay)
the housing is practically he same , Uref for fine trimming to 10 Mc
is 5 V, for this one , but the housing temperature is much lower in
the same conditions
(the Morion MV89A has a Uref = 8V )

Lucas

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"flipper" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 19:37:26 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"flipper" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 15:02:04 +0100, "petrus bitbyter"
wrote:

"flipper" schreef in bericht
m...

wrote:

Lucas wrote:

[...]

Yes, on the inside of the oven

in this case the A version is 0-55c , so 60c seems correct.

When you set your kitchen oven to 400F do you expect the outside of it
to be 400F too?

My oven is insulated and has a R factor, I'm sure the little crystal
oven is not insulated well.
The data sheet does not spec out a air flow number.

Glad I could assist

Cheers

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 17:48:09 -0600, flipper wrote:

[...]

Well, I came up with C-MAC, not C-MAX (unless that was a typo), but
can't find a bleeding spec of anything on their site, just them
bragging about how wonderful they are and can manufacture neat stuff.

I did find a reference to it on an obscure Excel spreadsheet of parts
with: -10C~60C,temperature stability:1*10E-10

That's not as tight as the MV89 but similar to the Morion MV180, which
specs 250mA @ 12V.

Well, 30% less power should be 'less hot' but whether that accounts
for all of it I can't say.

But you've *got* the STP2055B so measure the current and calculate the
power dissipation.

What goes in *has* to come out and if they're the same size then a
difference in power must translate to different case temperatures.

Yes, sorry 'C-MAX' was a typo -- it's 'C-MAC', and indeed a
problem to get technical information about.
The data sheet of the STP2145A was together with the STP2055B OCXO.

I have mailed to Morion in Russia , with all the measurements I have
done with the MV89A....
after a 5 min I received a reply ! (= FB !!):
''
''Dear Luc,
Seem, that you purchased a second hand unit supplied by Morion to
China over 5 year ago.
It is normal for outside housing of MV89 type (as for most OCXO) to
heat up singificantly.
Normally we would say that it shall be about 50 deg C, but it depends
on exact environmental condisions.
Supply current at 330 mA shows, that most probably unit is Ok.
Best regards,
''
''

So it is ~ confirmed the OCXO is OK, and is indeed second hand from
China.

When you look at the datasheet ,
(already I noticed that de 'ordering nr'is not matching with my type
label on the OCXO),
but the stability vs operating temp , is for the lowest stability MV89
(+-3x10E-10),or better , and that is the A' type', and is specified
for the range of 0...+55C,
So logical the outside housing does need a temperature of minimum
55C for keeping the stability specification ...,
I think every thing is all right .
many thanks at every one,

Lucas