Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Muffled/"Mushy" Sound

Watching an "old" movie (1975, "Capone" :-) via cable

The sound was muffled/"mushy"... hard to understand.

Other sources are fine.

What is "mushy" sound? Hum mixed in? Distortion? What is it?

Can it be processed to clean it up?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
Watching an "old" movie (1975, "Capone" :-) via cable

The sound was muffled/"mushy"... hard to understand.

Other sources are fine.

What is "mushy" sound? Hum mixed in? Distortion? What is it?

Can it be processed to clean it up?

It requires dumping cable and going to FIOS. ;D

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 7 May 2010 19:28:46 -0700, "BobW"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Watching an "old" movie (1975, "Capone" :-) via cable

The sound was muffled/"mushy"... hard to understand.

Other sources are fine.

What is "mushy" sound? Hum mixed in? Distortion? What is it?

Can it be processed to clean it up?

...Jim Thompson

I saw Capone on cable recently, too. It sounded crystal clear. Of course,
I'm at least a decade younger than you are.

Bob

Aha! A "decadent" problem :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2010-05-07, Jim Thompson wrote:
Watching an "old" movie (1975, "Capone" :-) via cable

The sound was muffled/"mushy"... hard to understand.

Other sources are fine.

What is "mushy" sound? Hum mixed in? Distortion? What is it?

you mean other than an audiophool term?

frequency spread? some frequencies heavily attenuated? reverb?

Can it be processed to clean it up?

as much of the distortion as can be characterised without a random term
or a zero term can probably be reversed

...Jim Thompson

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Watching an "old" movie (1975, "Capone" :-) via cable

The sound was muffled/"mushy"... hard to understand.

Other sources are fine.

What is "mushy" sound? Hum mixed in? Distortion? What is it?

Can it be processed to clean it up?

Try this (needs www.bittorrent.com p2p client)
http://www.torrentreactor.net/torren...p-MovieExtreme

or

http://www.monova.org/download/27784...xtreme.torrent

Both show that they have a few seeders at present.