Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Gnats :-(

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:29:39 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:12:33 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
This wet (and cold) winter, due to global warming ;-) has left us here
in AZ over-run with gnats as the weather warms up.

They're even getting into the house.

Any convenient solutions?

Call your local police force, and complain that the gnats are illegal
immigrants.

When they get there, demand to see birth certificates (be sure to have
yours handy).

Now! Now! Be nice! The law simply says that in addition to the
normal "show your driver's license" during a traffic stop or similar,
UPON SUSPICION, because you can't produce ID, the officer can ask if
you're a legal immigrant.

Personally I think, instead of jail time, we need to institute
"rock-pile" service... a year on the rock pile, particularly if
administered by Arpaio should stop this nonsense.

...Jim Thompson

Rock pile hell! Any felony incarcerations in this country should ALL
be forced to give labor toward the next PRISON construction effort for
that state.

We also need a new Devil's Island where we send rapists and murderers.

They NEVER get to step on free soil again. Gun and knife crimes should
all be life sentences as well.

The delineation should be where the gun or knife is used in self
defense.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:02:33 -0400, PeterD wrote:

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:26:25 +0100, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
This wet (and cold) winter, due to global warming ;-) has left us here
in AZ over-run with gnats as the weather warms up.

They're even getting into the house.

Any convenient solutions?

If a swarm forms indoors, suck them up with a dust buster vacuum cleaner -
squirt some fly spray into the nozzle before switching off,

Do NOT do that! Some vacuums use the air from the vacuum outlet to
cool the motor, and the motor has exposed brushes.

Stupid, untrue claim. Such "air" is POST filter.

Think of debris hitting the brushes, not just flies, idiot. THEN you
will realize the stupidity of the claim you derived with your bent
"common sense" guess of what takes place. ANY air that passes over ANY
motor in ANY vacuum cleaner is POST filter.

The fact that 'fly
spray' is usually flammable,

More utter bull****. MAYBE the propellant is a low flammability
propane mix, but even that would be relatively safe.

and brushes spark,

No... really?

will help prove the
big bang theory quite effectively!

You are quite effective at being an idiot.

otherwise
they'll just fly back out again.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:29:52 -0500, "mook johnson" wrote:

Also helps to puff a nice green cigar in the room.

Oh boy! A tobacco retard! You probably think that being a cigar smoker
makes you a more virile "man". You are neither virile nor a man.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Michael A. Terrell Inscribed thus:

ian field wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Or miniature bear traps that snap shut, when they try to retrieve
their balls.

Speaking of golfers, balls and bear traps......................

'Miniature bear traps'.

Or a ball trap, as the French say...

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
In article , ian field wrote:

"PeterD" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:26:25 +0100, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in
message ...
This wet (and cold) winter, due to global warming ;-) has left us here
in AZ over-run with gnats as the weather warms up.

They're even getting into the house.

Any convenient solutions?

If a swarm forms indoors, suck them up with a dust buster vacuum
cleaner -
squirt some fly spray into the nozzle before switching off,

Do NOT do that! Some vacuums use the air from the vacuum outlet to
cool the motor, and the motor has exposed brushes. The fact that 'fly
spray' is usually flammable, and brushes spark, will help prove the
big bang theory quite effectively!

What a complete and utter load of bollox!

A year or two ago some nut posted vids of his antics when he had a pile of
old vacuum cleaners to play with, he set one up on a table in his back
garden, switched it on and stuffed the hose into a bucket of petrol.

Sure enough the sparks from the brushes ignited the fumes and the vacuum
cleaner did a fair impersonation of a jet engine with a lick of flame out
the end, it kept going quite a long time before the bearings siezed and
the
motor whent phut.

I have a small mains powered (220V) handheld vacuum cleaner that I used to
catch wasps, moths and other flying insects, and I always gave it a squirt
of fly spray, that never once ignited and even if it did it wouldn't do
any
more than singe any accumulated fluff.

I wish your good furtune in that area to continue.

However, there is Murphy's Law, along with the wisdom of repeating your
achievement of having a vacuum cleaner impersonate a jet engine with
flame coming out.

If I were to spray bug spray into a vacuum cleaner, I would take it
outdoors first, with the hose plugged or blocked by something, such as a
wad of toilet paper or a plastic bag and a rubber band. This requires a
50 or 100 foot extension cord, and I would advise carrying along a
portable fire extinguisher or a 5 gallon bucket of water or otherwise be
prepared for the worse. Maybe wear safety goggles in the unlikely event
that they will actually be necessary.

Do you wear a crash helmet all the time in case you fall over?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:23:39 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

[snip]

That's interesting. One type of rat trap is a five gallon bucket of
soapy water with a pop can on a rod, over the water. A little peanut
butter is used for bait. The vermin climbs up on the rod, then the can
to eat the bait. It's weight makes the can turn on the rod which drops
the vermin into the water, where it drowns. Politicians are just big
rats, they just need a different bait.

That's an interesting gimmick. Another seasonal problem... jack
rabbits. Any cute tricks to trap and/or kill?

Scale it up to a 55 gallon drum and find the right bait? The soapy
water keeps the vermin from climbing out of the container. What do they
like to eat?

Carrots.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[snip]

That's interesting. One type of rat trap is a five gallon bucket of
soapy water with a pop can on a rod, over the water. A little peanut
butter is used for bait. The vermin climbs up on the rod, then the can
to eat the bait. It's weight makes the can turn on the rod which drops
the vermin into the water, where it drowns. Politicians are just big
rats, they just need a different bait.

That's an interesting gimmick. Another seasonal problem... jack
rabbits. Any cute tricks to trap and/or kill?

Scale it up to a 55 gallon drum and find the right bait? The soapy
water keeps the vermin from climbing out of the container. What do they
like to eat?

Carrots.

What's up with that? Google sez young grass.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[snip]

That's interesting. One type of rat trap is a five gallon bucket of
soapy water with a pop can on a rod, over the water. A little peanut
butter is used for bait. The vermin climbs up on the rod, then the can
to eat the bait. It's weight makes the can turn on the rod which drops
the vermin into the water, where it drowns. Politicians are just big
rats, they just need a different bait.

That's an interesting gimmick. Another seasonal problem... jack
rabbits. Any cute tricks to trap and/or kill?

Scale it up to a 55 gallon drum and find the right bait? The soapy
water keeps the vermin from climbing out of the container. What do they
like to eat?

Carrots.

What's up with that? Google sez young grass.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

That's what they're eating here... AND my succulents, a variety of
plant, looking cactus-like...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succulent_plant

which kills them. Thus the need to return the pleasure :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

In article , ian field wrote:

"PeterD" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:26:25 +0100, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in
message ...
[...]

I don't weat safety goggles all the time, but I do when I am risking
blowing something up. (Sometimes I rely on my polycarbonate large-lens
eyeglasses unless I am doing something really serious.) And I do wear a
crash helmet all the time that I am riding my bike.

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

In , Archimedes' Lever wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:02:33 -0400, PeterD wrote:

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:26:25 +0100, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

SNIP from here

The propellant is close enough to entirely liquified hydrocarbon gases.
I would not call that a low flammability mix. Combine that with any
vapors from petroleum distillates, and that sounds risky to me.
Especially if the filter should have any holes that pass through droplets
of the liquid.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Clint Sharp wrote:

In message , Michael A. Terrell
writes
Or miniature bear traps that snap shut, when they try to retrieve
their balls.

You have miniature bears there? Or do you do things with your balls I
really don't want to know about?

Yes, when compared to Polar bears.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

http://www.flickr.com/photos/materrell/
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:32:03 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 07:26:55 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 05:34:46 -0400, the renowned JW
wrote:

Fill a bowl with some vinegar. Cover it with plastic wrap and poke lots of
holes in it that are just big enough for them to enter. Gnats are
attracted to vinegar and will find their way in, then die.

Dish soap and water will work too.

Oh, you have to put a bit of ripe banana peel in there too.

Would that work on dirty politicians if you used a couple dollars in
change, instead of the banana peel?

Unmarked hundreds, maybe.

That isn't species-specific. If you want Democrats, you'll have to use
women. For GOP, altar boys.

Don't you mean ugly women?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

http://www.flickr.com/photos/materrell/
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 22:26:07 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In , Archimedes' Lever wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:02:33 -0400, PeterD wrote:

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:26:25 +0100, "ian field"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Not even a pop. A twenty millisecond *puff*, at best for *each*
"droplet", which is actually closer to a fine atomized mist particle,
which would have to number in the hundreds of thousands to be effective.