Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Today's gadget request...

Today's gadget request...

Is there a network "appliance" that will allow adding music to your
network, retrievable at some other location on the network?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Today's gadget request...

Is there a network "appliance" that will allow adding music to your
network, retrievable at some other location on the network?

Sure. The generic term is "NAS" - network-attached storage. A simple
NAS consists of a hard drive (usually SATA these days), and a small
network-controller interface which speaks one or more common network
filesystem protocols (e.g. SMB to talk to Windows clients, NFS to talk
to Unix-style, etc.). Some NAS controllers have built-in streaming
protocol support as well (e.g. Shoutcast or the like). They usually
have a built-in Web server which provides a network administration
interface.

Put one of these on your network, and you can treat it like any
"shared drive" on a computer... except that there's no full-fledged
computer attached to it. Some of them support multiple drives, with
several levels of RAID storage expansion and redundency.

This week's ad from Fry's is advertising a Hitachi "SimpleNET"
mini-NAS. It's a little dongle with an Ethernet jack on one side and
a USB host jack on the other. Plug in in between your network and a
USB external hard drive, and it becomes a NAS. It sells for $40
(plus the cost of the external drive).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:32:33 -0700, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

[...]

Don't some of those block MP3s? Or is that just over WAN?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
Today's gadget request...

Is there a network "appliance" that will allow adding music to your
network, retrievable at some other location on the network?

A streaming audio server, like the internet radio stations use? It's
probably available free if you've got a Linux machine lying around.

http://www.allclassical.org

Disclaimer: I have _no clue_ how hard this would be to set up.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:43:44 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Today's gadget request...

Is there a network "appliance" that will allow adding music to your
network, retrievable at some other location on the network?

A streaming audio server, like the internet radio stations use? It's
probably available free if you've got a Linux machine lying around.

http://www.allclassical.org

Disclaimer: I have _no clue_ how hard this would be to set up.

I just want a gozinta-gozouta (*) real time feed... so the wife can
hear "Martha" in her office, from the ROKU in my office :-)

I actually have my own personalized schematic port symbols named
"gozinta", "gozouta" and "gozbi" :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Today's gadget request...

Is there a network "appliance" that will allow adding music to your
network, retrievable at some other location on the network?

...Jim Thompson

I use a Slingbox to get cable TV into the office for those late night IT
sessions.
There are several media adapters that give the stereo or the television and
IP
address. Specifically, that then allows you to stream the computer content
an existing entertainment device.

Once you have the IP address, it's simply a matter of forwarding it through
the
router / firewall to the outside world. The proviso is that some IP ranges
are
not transmittable through the router. 192 is one such address. FTP box do
similar function though few stream content ... they use TCP/ IP to guarantee
packet delivery where as devices meant to stream media typically use UDP.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

I just want a gozinta-gozouta (*) real time feed... so the wife can
hear "Martha" in her office, from the ROKU in my office :-)

...Jim Thompson

Inside the local network is almost a no brainer....

WMA11B Wireless-B Media Adapter
NETGEAR Wireless Digital Music Player

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I just want a gozinta-gozouta (*) real time feed... so the wife can
hear "Martha" in her office, from the ROKU in my office :-)

Couldn't you just get her a Roku for her office as well?

I think many people aren't quite certain what you're after here... for your
wife's office do you want a box with speakers? Just an audio jack? Is it OK
to use a computer instead of a dedicated box?

For your office... you want something with... an analog audio input jack?
Or...?

---Joel

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:57:28 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Today's gadget request...

Is there a network "appliance" that will allow adding music to your
network, retrievable at some other location on the network?

...Jim Thompson

Yeah. It's called buy a nettop computer and make it into a media
server, wireless or wired. Most have HDMI out, etc.

If you buy the dedicated "media server" crap that is out there, you get
handcuffed to their set-up and all their limitations, which are great in
number..

If you buy a $200 PC, you can set it up however you want. XBMC (XBox
Media Center)through Windows or from within Linux. That is currently the
most popular media server software currently available.

Plays movies, music, does pictures, gets the weather and drags song
info and movie info of all your titles. Grabs its own updates.

Popped mine up from a 160GB drive to a 320GB 7200 rpm drive and jumped
it from 1GB RAM to 4GB, so I am now up to $400. Add the monitor and we
are at $600 as it is a 24" display.

The best thing about it is that it plays just about anything.

You have to add an external USB CD/DVD drive to it to get disc access,
and to install an OS. It is also possible to do with a USB stick.
Once up, however, it can handle remote operation etc, via the net hooks.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

A true NAS does NOT examine ANY file activity in ANY way.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:57:23 -0500, "Jon" wrote:

[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLOur...eature=related

You mean like this guy did?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:10:32 -0500, "Jon" wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

I just want a gozinta-gozouta (*) real time feed... so the wife can
hear "Martha" in her office, from the ROKU in my office :-)

...Jim Thompson

Inside the local network is almost a no brainer....

WMA11B Wireless-B Media Adapter
NETGEAR Wireless Digital Music Player

Both overtly overpriced and extremely limited.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:06:16 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I just want a gozinta-gozouta (*) real time feed... so the wife can
hear "Martha" in her office, from the ROKU in my office :-)

Couldn't you just get her a Roku for her office as well?

Perhaps that would be best... my tastes run to disco ;-)

I think many people aren't quite certain what you're after here... for your
wife's office do you want a box with speakers? Just an audio jack? Is it OK
to use a computer instead of a dedicated box?

For your office... you want something with... an analog audio input jack?
Or...?

---Joel

My ROKU = JVC audio system.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:06:16 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I just want a gozinta-gozouta (*) real time feed... so the wife can
hear "Martha" in her office, from the ROKU in my office :-)

Couldn't you just get her a Roku for her office as well?

Perhaps that would be best... my tastes run to disco ;-)

I think many people aren't quite certain what you're after here... for your
wife's office do you want a box with speakers? Just an audio jack? Is it OK
to use a computer instead of a dedicated box?

For your office... you want something with... an analog audio input jack?
Or...?

---Joel

My ROKU = JVC audio system.

How about a FM transmitter?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

http://www.gearlog.com/2007/12/weste...ks_nas_fro.php

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
http://www.gearlog.com/2007/12/weste...ks_nas_fro.php

That's really astonishing. Wow! I wonder if some large media producer wrote
them a rather large check to add such nonsense?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:21:18 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.gearlog.com/2007/12/weste...ks_nas_fro.php

That's really astonishing. Wow! I wonder if some large media producer wrote
them a rather large check to add such nonsense?

That device requires proprietary drivers operating on each client and
therefore does not qualify for the true definition of what an NAS is.

Folks should speak out against that crap. Thank Sony and Apple for all
this stupidity. Folks will soon move to FLAC and start over again. Ooops
too late.

An NAS

They are transparent FILE servers that allow attachment by ANY
requestor with the correct credentials.

The ONLY configuration a true NAS has is that of formatting the hard
drive upon first initialization, and allowing clients access.

-----
NOT monitoring, in any way, shape, or form, ANY "DRM" styled, file
level information or "rights management" horse****.
-----

An NAS

Once authenticated, a user with access should simply have access to
"a volume" on his local machine. The format is transparent, and the NAS
acts simply as a pure file server, not examining anything about the
actual files themselves at all. Individual user directory level security
is all that is needed. Especially if it is running Linux inside. It
would be like a router with files instead of ports.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:06:16 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I just want a gozinta-gozouta (*) real time feed... so the wife can
hear "Martha" in her office, from the ROKU in my office :-)

Couldn't you just get her a Roku for her office as well?

Perhaps that would be best... my tastes run to disco ;-)

Now _there's_ a damaging admission. Back around 1980, I was so sick of
disco that even Van Halen was a huge breath of fresh air.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

wrote:

[...]

My statement remains unchanged.

Any asshole company can make a device and call it by a name that any
Barnum and Bailey every minute born sucker would buy thinking that it
actually was what it was being touted as by the asshole company.

An NAS is transparent to the damned files being stored. Period.
The first hint that it is NOT a true NAS is when they want you to install
a client 'driver', and deny you access to the physical drive itself.

Buy Hitachi (was IBM, the masters), or Seagate. **** WD.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:16:32 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:06:16 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I just want a gozinta-gozouta (*) real time feed... so the wife can
hear "Martha" in her office, from the ROKU in my office :-)
Couldn't you just get her a Roku for her office as well?

Perhaps that would be best... my tastes run to disco ;-)

Now _there's_ a damaging admission. Back around 1980, I was so sick of
disco that even Van Halen was a huge breath of fresh air.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

I stuck with Genesis (the original) and Gentle Giant type stuff. Screw
disco and Van Halen.

Larry Fast Synergy series is pretty cool stuff too.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

In article , Jim Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:06:16 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I just want a gozinta-gozouta (*) real time feed... so the wife can
hear "Martha" in her office, from the ROKU in my office :-)

Couldn't you just get her a Roku for her office as well?

Perhaps that would be best... my tastes run to disco ;-)

What - an item you and I have in common?

By any chance, do you have familiarity with "Hi-NRG", a signifant
subgendre of disco that is almost-arguably-somewhat a music gendre of
its own?

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Joel Koltner
wibbled on Wednesday 21 April 2010 02:21

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
http://www.gearlog.com/2007/12/weste...ks_nas_fro.php

That's really astonishing. Wow! I wonder if some large media producer
wrote them a rather large check to add such nonsense?

That's about a stupid as when Belkin sold a router that redirected every x%
of HTTP requests and shoved an unsolicited advert down your pipe. Boy, did
they suffer for that (and fix the "problem" after someone on Slashdot broke
the story and someone else posted a senior Belkin manager's email
address :-

--
Tim Watts

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

In article ,
Jim Thompson
wrote:

Today's gadget request...

Is there a network "appliance" that will allow adding music to your
network, retrievable at some other location on the network?

...Jim Thompson

The new Western Digital My Book World Edition II seems like the most
interesting device in the low cost range. TwonkyMedia UPnP server,
iTunes server, CIFS, AFP, NFS, HTTP, and FTP. If that's not enough, you
can SSH into it and do whatever you wish to the tiny Linux computer
inside. Make sure it's the new model starting with WDH. The older WDG
models are non-functional.

On the expensive end of the spectrum, a Mac Mini Server is quite
attractive. Plug it in, click through some setup pages, and 90% of the
agonizing task of creating a full home or small office server is already
done. Works with BT headsets to be an internet phone. Add an Elgato
tuner and it's an HD DVR with lossless recording.