DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronic Schematics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/)
-   -   Coming Soon to Your State... (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/292172-coming-soon-your-state.html)

Jim Thompson November 19th 09 02:31 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

All you Sunday football jocks are out-of-luck ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Joel Koltner[_2_] November 19th 09 05:32 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Coming Soon to Your State...

Cool, maybe we'll get a Fry's here in southern Oregon close to the border. :-)

Hal Murray November 19th 09 09:01 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:
Coming Soon to Your State...
All you Sunday football jocks are out-of-luck ;-)

Television usage currently accounts for 10% of home
electricity use in California, according to the state's
energy commission.

Michael A. Terrell November 19th 09 09:31 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

Hal Murray wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:
Coming Soon to Your State...
All you Sunday football jocks are out-of-luck ;-)

Television usage currently accounts for 10% of home
electricity use in California, according to the state's
energy commission.

Sure, after they ran off all the businesses and put millions on
unemployment.

Richard the Dreaded Libertarian November 19th 09 09:49 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:01:08 -0600, Hal Murray wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:
Coming Soon to Your State...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8367545.stm All you Sunday football
jocks are out-of-luck ;-)

Television usage currently accounts for 10% of home electricity use in
California, according to the state's energy commission.

So what? Why not just pay the bill? Apparently that's not good enough for
the econazis.

Thanks,
Rich

Jim Thompson November 19th 09 10:36 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:01:08 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:
Coming Soon to Your State...
All you Sunday football jocks are out-of-luck ;-)

Television usage currently accounts for 10% of home
electricity use in California, according to the state's
energy commission.

That sounds patently like a leftist weenie's "guesstimation".

I would expect your refrigerator, or washer and dryer to account for
more.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |

Civilization began when communities stopped leaving their ill,
injured or wounded behind to die alone.

Civilization ends when governments decide whether you have enough
value to the community to be worth getting medical care.

Joe Chisolm[_2_] November 19th 09 10:45 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:32:42 -0800, Joel Koltner wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Coming Soon to Your State...

Cool, maybe we'll get a Fry's here in southern Oregon close to the
border. :-)

Wonder if the TV will have to have a revenue sticker on it.

Hollyweird will do a remake of the movie White Lightning but
this time Gator McKlusky will be running TVs instead of moonshine.
Wonder how many flat screen TVs you can get in the trunk of a 1972
Ford Galaxie.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, Tx.

Oppie[_6_] November 19th 09 10:56 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

Television usage currently accounts for 10% of home
electricity use in California, according to the state's
energy commission.

That sounds patently like a leftist weenie's "guesstimation".

I would expect your refrigerator, or washer and dryer to account for
more.

...Jim Thompson

Gee, I thought that Californians didn't use refrigerators, preferring to use
root cellars, cold mountain streams or dry preservation of perishables.
Washing is done downstream of where the perishables are stored and drying is
on a clothesline.
...not so? Maybe the wackos aren't as green as they claim to be.

In an age where most of my neighbors are clamoring for 200Amp, 220V service
entrances, I updated my house wiring but kept the original 60A/220V service.
In an outage, I can run most everything in the house from a 5KW backup
generator. Only thing I can't run is the old school Maytag washer. The
startup surge is just too much.

I'm waiting to see how long before they start making LCD TVs with an
optional light pipe input fed from a solar collector.

Oppie
41.01,-73.76 (precision truncated for privacy)

Jim Thompson November 19th 09 11:23 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:45:43 -0600, Joe Chisolm
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:32:42 -0800, Joel Koltner wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Coming Soon to Your State...

Cool, maybe we'll get a Fry's here in southern Oregon close to the
border. :-)

Wonder if the TV will have to have a revenue sticker on it.

Hollyweird will do a remake of the movie White Lightning but
this time Gator McKlusky will be running TVs instead of moonshine.
Wonder how many flat screen TVs you can get in the trunk of a 1972
Ford Galaxie.

I'd guess quite a few... my '68 Ford Thunderbird trunk would hold 3
standard (metal) trash cans with the lid closed ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |

Cranky Old Git With Engineering Mind Faster Than a Speeding Prissy

Martin Riddle November 19th 09 11:45 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

"Oppie" wrote in message

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...

[...]

snip

Hmmm, Daytime TVee ?

Cheers

Martin Riddle November 19th 09 11:45 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

"Oppie" wrote in message

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...

Martin Brown November 20th 09 01:58 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

Steve Hall wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:01:08 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:
Coming Soon to Your State...
All you Sunday football jocks are out-of-luck ;-)

Television usage currently accounts for 10% of home
electricity use in California, according to the state's
energy commission.

That sounds patently like a leftist weenie's "guesstimation".

A leftist weenie like Republican Governor Schwarzenegger?

He has a working brain so he doesn't qualify as a true Republicon.

"I applaud the commission for its hard work to enact these and other
cost-effective energy efficiency standards that are not only great for
the environment, but also good for consumers," the governor said in a
statement.

I would expect your refrigerator, or washer and dryer to account for
more.

And they do. What part of 10% doesn't allow for other items to
account for more?

Actually a refrigerator (at least a well made one only uses a small
amount of power these days) thermal insulation is very good now so it
depends how often you open the fridge door. Most of the time it is idle.
There is a huge current spike when the compressor starts up but the
average power used is modest.

Air conditioning and space heating are the biggest consumers of domestic
power.

Even so, 10% is way too much for a non-essential
device, and it's growing (Plasma TVs use 3 times the power of old CRTs
and LCDs use 1.5 time the power of CRTs).

Also some of the modern ones leave the digital decoder on all the time
so that connected recording devices can use its output. This means a
continuous baseload contribution of 20-30W even in standby!

Various enterprising companies sell devices that power down units with
badly behaved standby power consumption and reawake them when the "on"
code is seen by a separate IR sensor. There is no excuse with modern PSU
technology to have consumer mains items using more than 1W in standby.

The move to ban standby is seriously misguided. Requiring it to only
draw a tiny amount of current would be a better design goal.

I would think that an engineer like yourself would appreciate higher
standards in consumer electronics (especially since they create work
for engineers). Are you so blinded by your anti-government agenda
that you can't recognize a good thing when you see it?

It is odd how standby currents vary. I have server with a PSU intended
to run 24/7 and it is 1W on standby whereas new consumer PCs tend to be
around 5W when nominally switched off. PC sound systems are amongst the
worst designed boxes of junk with some consuming almost as much power
when switched off as they do when running!

Regards,
Martin Brown

Jim Thompson November 20th 09 03:06 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:22:28 -0400, Steve Hall
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:01:08 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:
Coming Soon to Your State...
All you Sunday football jocks are out-of-luck ;-)

Television usage currently accounts for 10% of home
electricity use in California, according to the state's
energy commission.

That sounds patently like a leftist weenie's "guesstimation".

A leftist weenie like Republican Governor Schwarzenegger?

"I applaud the commission for its hard work to enact these and other
cost-effective energy efficiency standards that are not only great for
the environment, but also good for consumers," the governor said in a
statement.

I would expect your refrigerator, or washer and dryer to account for
more.

And they do. What part of 10% doesn't allow for other items to
account for more? Even so, 10% is way too much for a non-essential
device, and it's growing (Plasma TVs use 3 times the power of old CRTs
and LCDs use 1.5 time the power of CRTs).

I would think that an engineer like yourself would appreciate higher
standards in consumer electronics (especially since they create work
for engineers). Are you so blinded by your anti-government agenda
that you can't recognize a good thing when you see it?

Governments should build roads and run police and fire departments...
and leave the marketplace to make such decisions.

Don't you think consumers know how high their electric bills are?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |

"It isn't that democrats are ignorant. Far from it... it's just
that they know so much that just isn't so" -Ronald Reagan

Martin Brown November 20th 09 03:21 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

wrote:

I would think that an engineer like yourself would appreciate higher
standards in consumer electronics (especially since they create work
for engineers). Are you so blinded by your anti-government agenda
that you can't recognize a good thing when you see it?

Governments should build roads and run police and fire departments...
and leave the marketplace to make such decisions.

Don't you think consumers know how high their electric bills are?

Dunno what it is like in the States, but for some of the UK electricity
companies more obscure tariffs I would have to say that it is virtually
impossible for an ordinary member of the public to work out the charging
structure of their electricity bill and choose the best buy supplier.

nPower is notorious for complex household bills that take about an hour
to decode and even then it is subject to interpretation. They have been
hammered several times for deliberate overcharging and incredibly opaque
billing methodologies. I used to be a customer. Not any more.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008...onsumeraffairs

Officially named as "Britain's worst energy provider" 2008...

Regards,
Martin Brown

Joel Koltner[_2_] November 20th 09 06:42 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message
Governments should build roads and run police and fire departments...
and leave the marketplace to make such decisions.

I think most people agree that's a fine starting place, but there's a real
problem in that you aren't going to like it if the city down the road from you
starts burning coal, doesn't bother with any emmissions controls (that stuff's
expensive!), and makes it hard for you breathe when the wind is heading your
way. Hence we start to regulate shared resources such as the air, and it
snowballs from there.

Also, while I do think we'd have some reasonably fuel efficient cars today if
there'd never been CAFE standards, I also think that those standards have
created many cars of a given performance level with better fuel economy and
emissions. I.e., the standards caused technological innovation more quickly
than would otherwise have occurred. Most people would consider this a Good
Thing, although I'd grant you reasonable people could disagree based on the
costs involved or whatnot.

I kinda wonder when the chain stores figured out that there was more money to
be made by not stocking windshield wiper blade refills and instead only
stocking complete wiper arm replacements...?

---Joel

Jim Thompson November 20th 09 07:04 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:42:06 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message
Governments should build roads and run police and fire departments...
and leave the marketplace to make such decisions.

I think most people agree that's a fine starting place, but there's a real
problem in that you aren't going to like it if the city down the road from you
starts burning coal, doesn't bother with any emmissions controls (that stuff's
expensive!), and makes it hard for you breathe when the wind is heading your
way. Hence we start to regulate shared resources such as the air, and it
snowballs from there.

"Liberals" always pick some absurd example trying desperately to make
"points'.

Also, while I do think we'd have some reasonably fuel efficient cars today if
there'd never been CAFE standards, I also think that those standards have
created many cars of a given performance level with better fuel economy and
emissions. I.e., the standards caused technological innovation more quickly
than would otherwise have occurred. Most people would consider this a Good
Thing, although I'd grant you reasonable people could disagree based on the
costs involved or whatnot.

Well? You're about to get a dose of government
cost-controlled-by-rationing medical "care" ;-)

I kinda wonder when the chain stores figured out that there was more money to
be made by not stocking windshield wiper blade refills and instead only
stocking complete wiper arm replacements...?

---Joel

Where do you shop? I have no trouble buying blade refills... was
Checker Auto... now CSK, or is it now O'Reilly ?:-)

http://www.cskauto.com/

I think auto parts stores are dying because we are now a nation of
incompetents... I just heard a number of 49% of our nation qualify for
food stamps :-(

No surprise I guess. Even supposedly rational voters let warm and
fuzzy political correctness elect a totally incompetent President :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |

Fed up with the way the present administration is going?
Turn out in force in 2010 and change the face of Congress.
Then impeach the wuss.

Jim Thompson November 20th 09 07:04 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:42:06 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message

Joel Koltner[_2_] November 20th 09 07:29 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
"Liberals" always pick some absurd example trying desperately to make
"points'.

My point was that pretty much everyone -- even conservatives -- support plenty
of laws that noticeably raise the costs for individuals engaging in some task
based on nothing more than the desires of "everyone" (well, at least as
represented by our democratically elected legislators and all... but I mean,
the constitution has nothing about guaranteeing you unpolluted air and water,
you know?). I.e., almost no one *really* supports a completely laissez-faire
style of capitalism.

Well? You're about to get a dose of government
cost-controlled-by-rationing medical "care" ;-)

Yes, I agree, and it's going to cost an incredibly large amount of money. Yet
I'm optimistic that there's a very good chance that 5-10 years from people
overall will feel they're better off and that the costs were worth it.

From your PSA results I'm thinking you're a pretty healthy guy, Jim, and
you'll most likely be around in a decade to tell me I was wrong if that's the
case. :-)

Where do you shop?

The big chain stores like Wally World, K Mart, etc. I'll have to check out
the auto parts stores next time; good to know they're still available there.

I think auto parts stores are dying because we are now a nation of
incompetents...

To some degree, sure, but also cars are simply more reliable today to begin
with... and arguably it's somewhat harder to work on them as well, especially
if you have to get the car to pass emissions/fault testing rather than simply
"running OK."

Radio Shacks are just about dead too, but in electronics the wealth of on-line
parts availability makes up for it many times over. I wouldn't be surprised
if the same is true of auto parts -- it's just gone to the Internet.

No surprise I guess. Even supposedly rational voters let warm and
fuzzy political correctness elect a totally incompetent President :-(

Oh, come on, I bet if your choice were Carter or Obama you'd still stick with
Barack! :-)

---Joel

Jim Thompson November 20th 09 07:45 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:29:45 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

More cost and less service is better?

From your PSA results I'm thinking you're a pretty healthy guy, Jim, and
you'll most likely be around in a decade to tell me I was wrong if that's the
case. :-)

That PSA is "low-normal for my age". What spooked the doc, was the
delta from last year. My guess is either a defective test, or a
result from going on Hytrin mid-year to stop that "going and going and
going... urgency" stuff that hits us old farts ;-)

That Hytrin stuff works... I can go out and have a 3-Martini lunch,
then go shopping for a few hours, then go home, before needing a "pit
stop".

I'll get another PSA test in one month and then another in three
months... all at your expense ;-)

Where do you shop?

The big chain stores like Wally World, K Mart, etc. I'll have to check out
the auto parts stores next time; good to know they're still available there.

I never shop those big chain stores... they always smell like someone
urinated on the floor :-(

I do, however, have business accounts at Sam's Club and Costco.

[...]

You've got it wrong, I'd choose incompetent_AND_ ineffective over
incompetent_AND_bully every time ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |

"I have a dream that [we] will one day live in a nation where
[Obama] will not be judged by the color of [his] skin but by the
content of [his] character."

Obama will then be impeached.

"Free at last! free at last! Thank God Almighty, we [will be] free
at last!"

Jim Thompson November 20th 09 07:45 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:29:45 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

From your PSA results I'm thinking you're a pretty healthy guy, Jim, and

Joel Koltner[_2_] November 20th 09 08:18 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message
More cost and less service is better?

What might be more cost and less service for you could translate into less
cost and more service for, say, 10 other people (in other words... yes, public
health care is a form of wealth redistribution, it is socialist in nature,
etc., etc...).

I'll get another PSA test in one month and then another in three
months... all at your expense ;-)

Fine by me -- I certainly benefit from your remaining healthy and continuing
to provide good free technical advice here on SED; there's no denying you've
provided a wealth of useful services over the years!

I never shop those big chain stores... they always smell like someone
urinated on the floor :-(

Check out peopleofwalmart.com if you really want to be disturbed...

---Joel

Rich Grise November 20th 09 09:32 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:42:06 -0800, Joel Koltner wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message
Governments should build roads and run police and fire departments...
and leave the marketplace to make such decisions.

I think most people agree that's a fine starting place, but there's a real
problem in that you aren't going to like it if the city down the road from
you starts burning coal, doesn't bother with any emmissions controls (that
stuff's expensive!), and makes it hard for you breathe when the wind is
heading your way.

That's what HEPA filters and air exchangers are for.

And realistically, what are the odds of this happening? Or are you just
being sensationalistic?

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Joel Koltner[_2_] November 20th 09 09:39 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
That's what HEPA filters and air exchangers are for.

Still, Jim would be the one who had to buy those filters. That's not right...
or are you suggesting he should just move if he doesn't like it?

And realistically, what are the odds of this happening? Or are you just
being sensationalistic?

The odds are effectively unity. Polluted waterways and -- perhaps to a
somewhat lesser extent -- air was a *significant* problem prior to discharge
regulations becoming law. It continues to be a significant problem in places
like China... and even in the U.S., we spend enormous amounts of money
cleaning up past transgressions (see, e.g., superfund sites).

--Joel

Jon[_10_] November 21st 09 10:42 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

"Steve Hall" wrote in message
snip

And they do. What part of 10% doesn't allow for other items to
account for more? Even so, 10% is way too much for a non-essential
device, and it's growing (Plasma TVs use 3 times the power of old CRTs
and LCDs use 1.5 time the power of CRTs).

I would think that an engineer like yourself would appreciate higher
standards in consumer electronics (especially since they create work
for engineers). Are you so blinded by your anti-government agenda
that you can't recognize a good thing when you see it?

When will they go after the vacuum makers? I'm sure you've seen the
ads, "...now with 12 AMPS of cleaning!". How about the same cleaning
on 5 amps?

Clint Sharp November 22nd 09 11:46 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

In message , Jim Thompson
writes
Governments should build roads and run police and fire departments...
and leave the marketplace to make such decisions.

Don't you think consumers know how high their electric bills are?

I bet they know exactly how high their bills are but I'd also bet they
have little idea which appliances cause them to be high. Plasma TVs are
power hogs, without reading the article thoroughly I bet that's the type
of screen they are talking about.

...Jim Thompson

--
Clint Sharp

Clint Sharp November 22nd 09 11:50 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

In message , Jim Thompson
writes

No surprise I guess. Even supposedly rational voters let warm and
fuzzy political correctness elect a totally incompetent President :-(

I've never heard Bush described as warm, fuzzy or politically correct
but hey...

...Jim Thompson

--
Clint Sharp

Jim Thompson November 22nd 09 11:51 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 23:46:21 +0000, Clint Sharp
wrote:

In message , Jim Thompson
writes
Governments should build roads and run police and fire departments...
and leave the marketplace to make such decisions.

Don't you think consumers know how high their electric bills are?

I bet they know exactly how high their bills are but I'd also bet they
have little idea which appliances cause them to be high. Plasma TVs are
power hogs, without reading the article thoroughly I bet that's the type
of screen they are talking about.

...Jim Thompson

You didn't note my calculation of $5.25/month for a plasma set, based
on my usage of 3.5 hours per day?

Hardly an amount I would even notice...

My electric bill dropped from $601/mo to $325/mo this past bill... it
got cool here in Arizona ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson November 23rd 09 03:15 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:01:08 -0600,
(Hal Murray) wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson writes:
[...]

I drive an SUV and don't need roads. Why should my tax dollars pay
for your roads you leftist weenie? :)

If you truly drove only off-road, you'd know full-well that you don't
have to even register your vehicle. For example, farm vehicles don't
have to pay the taxes on gasoline.

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson November 23rd 09 05:35 PM

Coming Soon to Your State...

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 23:50:27 +0000, Clint Sharp
wrote:

In message , Jim Thompson
writes

No surprise I guess. Even supposedly rational voters let warm and
fuzzy political correctness elect a totally incompetent President :-(

I've never heard Bush described as warm, fuzzy or politically correct
but hey...

...Jim Thompson

Do you Brits actually think we care what you think?

Obama would like to lay down and kiss your ass... the next Prez will
then kick it ;-)

...Jim Thompson