Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Photo Thyristor

Anyone have experience with photo thyristors?

How well do they work? Cautions? Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Buy a Fiarysler with your tax credit...
Ignore that grinding noise, that is normal :-)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Anyone have experience with photo thyristors?

How well do they work? Cautions? Suggestions?

I used KMOC3022 for switching in a home telephone exchange hobby project and
they worked very well:

http://www.holmea.demon.co.uk/Exchange/Schematics.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 07 May 2009 14:45:59 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson
wrote:

Anyone have experience with photo thyristors?

Used LASCRs *decades* ago.

How well do they work? Cautions? Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson

AFAIK, they're pretty much dead as individual components. They live on
in some optocouplers.

Cautions? As with all thyristors watch max dv/dt at high temperature
and turn-off characteristics. Can't think of anything unusual. If it's
a triac driver you probably want to be sure you don't drive it
asymmetrically under any conditions 'cause that will put DC into the
source and load-- in case those might be transformers or whatever.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Anyone have experience with photo thyristors?

Used LASCRs *decades* ago.

How well do they work? Cautions? Suggestions?

...Jim Thompson

AFAIK, they're pretty much dead as individual components. They live on
in some optocouplers.

Cautions? As with all thyristors watch max dv/dt at high temperature
and turn-off characteristics. Can't think of anything unusual. If it's
a triac driver you probably want to be sure you don't drive it
asymmetrically under any conditions 'cause that will put DC into the
source and load-- in case those might be transformers or whatever.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I haven't seen one in ages. Do remember seeing a construction article in
Popular Electronics (or was it EI?) using one to trigger a slave photoflash.