Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Last try

This is the device, showing the ferrite ring and mettallic post, housed in
plastic but all out of focus. Best I could do...

Wonder how long this one will last.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails
Last try-pict0008-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Dave" wrote in message
netamerica...
This is the device, showing the ferrite ring and mettallic post, housed in
plastic but all out of focus. Best I could do...

Wonder how long this one will last.

Dave

Dave, is this connected to two leads coming out of the transformer?
If not how is it connected?
Mike

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
MJM MJM is offline

Enhanced somewhat and shrunk down - at least you can kinda see Abe's
shoulder on the penny...

Are you using a camcorder? You can stick a desk magnifier halfway between
the lens and the object to give yourself a cheapo macro. Leave the zoom
setting on Wide.

MJM

"Dave" wrote in message
netamerica...
This is the device, showing the ferrite ring and mettallic post, housed in
plastic but all out of focus. Best I could do...

Wonder how long this one will last.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails
Last try-ferrite-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Hey Mike,

Yes, to two leads coming out of the transformer. There are two of these
things, one with heavier blue leads, and the other with lighter white leads.
Whatcha thinkin'?

Dave

"amdx" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
netamerica...
This is the device, showing the ferrite ring and mettallic post, housed
in plastic but all out of focus. Best I could do...

Wonder how long this one will last.

Dave

Dave, is this connected to two leads coming out of the transformer?
If not how is it connected?
Mike

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

". Dave, is this connected to two leads coming out of the transformer?
If not how is it connected?
Mike

Hey Mike,

Yes, to two leads coming out of the transformer. There are two of these
things, one with heavier blue leads, and the other with lighter white
leads. Whatcha thinkin'?

Dave

Hey Dave,
I'm not sure, I thought maybe a thermal fuse. Many small transformers have
thermal fuse wired inside to protect against overheating. Why they would
bring the
leads out and mount the proector on the back panel I don't know. Also, since
you
say it has two of these devices, I'm at a loss. How does it measure? Very
low ohms
both directions?
Mike

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"amdx" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, it measures several megohms, with one way being more than the
other, I believe (seems like it was 11M one way and 7M the other) . Will
have to check it again to confirm that last part, but that's what I seem to
remember from this afternoon. I do know that it checks like a diode, with
one direction being .879V and the other .397. What I can't figure out are
the ferrite rings around the metallic posts. sigh

Oh, and I have worked with thermal fuses before, and this doesn't appear to
be anything like that. I *think* they are diodes, similar in function to
selenium rectifiers, but much higher current.

Dave

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Dave wrote:

snip

I do know that it checks like a diode, with
one direction being .879V and the other .397.

That's not how a diode measures. One direction should
measure open on the diode test range, the other low, like
the .397 reading you got. If you measure it in circuit,
then the readings can depend on the other elements in the
circuit. If that was the case (measured in circuit) remove
one wire and measure again.

Ed

What I can't figure out are
the ferrite rings around the metallic posts. sigh

Oh, and I have worked with thermal fuses before, and this doesn't appear to
be anything like that. I *think* they are diodes, similar in function to
selenium rectifiers, but much higher current.

Dave

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"ehsjr" et wrote in
message news:xO97k.224$zE6.87@trnddc02...
Dave wrote:

snip

I do know that it checks like a diode, with one direction being .879V
and the other .397.

That's not how a diode measures. One direction should
measure open on the diode test range, the other low, like
the .397 reading you got. If you measure it in circuit,
then the readings can depend on the other elements in the
circuit. If that was the case (measured in circuit) remove
one wire and measure again.

Ed

Hey Ed,

Well, maybe like a faulty diode. Or like something meant to act like a
diode, but which doesn't do it's job quite right. It was checked out of
circuit, BTW.

Thanks for the interest.