Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Phase splitter with caps.

The "Cathodyne", or concertina, phase splitter seems to be a perennial
source of interest.

I looked up a couple of long threads that appeared on this newsgroup in
1999 and 2001. I also did a google search and found postings on various
forums.

There has been confusion about how it works for some time, and explanations
have been published (e.g., www.aikenamps.com/cathodyne.pdf) since the early
days of vacuum tube audio.

Eminent persons have thought first one way, and then the other.

Henry Pasternack in one of those long threads asked:

"How can it be that the outputs of the split-load phase splitter have
different impedances, yet the signal amplitudes track one another as the
load resistances vary equally?"

I haven't been able to find a truly detailed analysis, so I decided to do
one myself. I hope I have made it clear and persuasive enough to clear up
some of the confusion.

I posted an analysis with only DC conditions a couple of days ago. I have
now done another analysis with capacitive loading applied to the outputs.

The results are in 4 .gif files. The first shows the method of analysis,
and the next 3 show some results with different capacitive loadings.

The image files have been posted in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic and
in alt.binaries.pictures.radio.

Attached Thumbnails
Phase splitter with caps.-splittercap1-gif  Phase splitter with caps.-splittercap2-gif  Phase splitter with caps.-splittercap3-gif  Phase splitter with caps.-splittercap4-gif