DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronic Schematics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/)
-   -   Electricity in CA, another close call (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/212696-electricity-ca-another-close-call.html)

Joerg August 29th 07 11:47 PM

Electricity in CA, another close call

1 Attachment(s)
Just went through a tight electricity supply-demand squeeze again. This
graph looks like it was a real close call.

Doing our part on conservation here, 91F in the lab, soldering away,
occasionally wiping the sweat off before it drips onto the boards.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Jim Thompson August 30th 07 12:11 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

1 Attachment(s)
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:47:21 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Just went through a tight electricity supply-demand squeeze again. This
graph looks like it was a real close call.

Doing our part on conservation here, 91F in the lab, soldering away,
occasionally wiping the sweat off before it drips onto the boards.

How come California has such issues? Did you let the leftist weenies
ruin your state ?:-)

Arizona doesn't have water shortages or power problems... why does CA?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Bob Quintal August 30th 07 01:45 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

Jim Thompson wrote
in :

wrote:

Just went through a tight electricity supply-demand squeeze again.
This graph looks like it was a real close call.

Doing our part on conservation here, 91F in the lab, soldering
away, occasionally wiping the sweat off before it drips onto the
boards.

How come California has such issues? Did you let the leftist
weenies ruin your state ?:-)

California has a whole lot more people than Arizona. (6x) for a 10%
greater area

And the grid in California was f#%ked by the right-wing capitalists
like Ken Lay when they forced deregulation on hte unsuspecting
weenies (to use your term)..

Arizona doesn't have water shortages or power problems... why does
CA?

California has a whole lot more people than Arizona.

...Jim Thompson

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

Joerg August 30th 07 01:47 AM

wrote:

Just went through a tight electricity supply-demand squeeze again. This
graph looks like it was a real close call.

Doing our part on conservation here, 91F in the lab, soldering away,
occasionally wiping the sweat off before it drips onto the boards.

How come California has such issues? Did you let the leftist weenies
ruin your state ?:-)

Maybe. Power plants are supposedly evil, so practically none are built.
Nuclear is even more evil in the eyes of enviro-freaks. No wait, that's
nucular, ain't it ...?

But of course they all want their fresh cooled fromage, chilled Zin and
all that stuff.

Arizona doesn't have water shortages or power problems... why does CA?

L.A. slurps it all up.

Jim Thompson August 30th 07 01:50 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

wrote:

Just went through a tight electricity supply-demand squeeze again. This
graph looks like it was a real close call.

Doing our part on conservation here, 91F in the lab, soldering away,
occasionally wiping the sweat off before it drips onto the boards.

How come California has such issues? Did you let the leftist weenies
ruin your state ?:-)

Maybe. Power plants are supposedly evil, so practically none are built.
Nuclear is even more evil in the eyes of enviro-freaks. No wait, that's
nucular, ain't it ...?

But of course they all want their fresh cooled fromage, chilled Zin and
all that stuff.

Arizona doesn't have water shortages or power problems... why does CA?

L.A. slurps it all up.

Yes, that's true. L.A. gets its top-off from our APS Nuclear facility
in Wintersburg, Arizona.

...Jim Thompson

Boris Mohar August 30th 07 02:17 AM

wrote:

Just went through a tight electricity supply-demand squeeze again. This
graph looks like it was a real close call.

Doing our part on conservation here, 91F in the lab, soldering away,
occasionally wiping the sweat off before it drips onto the boards.

How close does the "Available Resources Forecast" come to real resources?

--

Boris Mohar

Stephen J. Rush August 30th 07 04:36 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:47:19 -0700, Joerg wrote:

Maybe. Power plants are supposedly evil, so practically none are built.
Nuclear is even more evil in the eyes of enviro-freaks. No wait, that's
nucular, ain't it ...?

But of course they all want their fresh cooled fromage, chilled Zin and
all that stuff.

The late John W. Campbell maintained that some of the greenies are so
ignorant of physics that they literally don't see the relation between
that ugly power plant down the road and the magic that allows them to get
ice in August and keep meat for more than a few hours without worrying
that it might become unsafe to eat. Oh, they dimly remember what they
heard in elementary-school science classes, but it just doesn't register
emotionally, any more than the mid-nineteenth-century hunters could
believe that they would ever run out of buffalo. Rudyard Kipling saw it
coming more than a century ago; look up "The Sons of Martha" at
gutenberg.org.

Jim Thompson August 30th 07 05:14 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:31:06 -0700, "Herbert John \"Jackie\" Gleason"
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:50:06 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Yes, that's true. L.A. gets its top-off from our APS Nuclear facility
in Wintersburg, Arizona.

...Jim Thompson

Bull****. LA gets it from the BPS DC Intertie.

Your **** is trivial dribs and drabs by comparison.

Your ignorance is surpassed only by the size of the Al-Gore-dick in
your mouth.

Who=the-**** do you think feeds the intertie?

...Jim Thompson

Michael A. Terrell August 30th 07 05:41 AM

dimbulb morphs, again

Herbert John \Jackoff wrote:

Nothing, as usual.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Lord Garth August 30th 07 07:08 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

snip
Yes, that's true. L.A. gets its top-off from our APS Nuclear facility
in Wintersburg, Arizona.

Is it a top-off or an unrequested fission surplus? ;-)

Jim Thompson August 30th 07 04:02 PM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:08:59 -0500, "Lord Garth"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

snip
Yes, that's true. L.A. gets its top-off from our APS Nuclear facility
in Wintersburg, Arizona.

Is it a top-off or an unrequested fission surplus? ;-)

Actually, more output from that facility goes to California than to
Arizona right now.

...Jim Thompson

qrk August 30th 07 04:31 PM

Electricity in CA, another close call

wrote:

Just went through a tight electricity supply-demand squeeze again. This
graph looks like it was a real close call.

Doing our part on conservation here, 91F in the lab, soldering away,
occasionally wiping the sweat off before it drips onto the boards.

How close does the "Available Resources Forecast" come to real resources?

--

Boris Mohar

Enough that they will start rolling blackouts. It happened a few years
ago. Areas would get a loss of power for about 1 hour. At any given
time, close to a quarter to a half of California's generation capacity
is off-line for maintenance and other reasons. Plus, bad policies in
Sacramento and stupid voters (deregulation) haven't helped.

Shock of all shocks, we got rain, thunder and lightning in So. Cal
last night. That's extremely rare!

---
Mark

Jim Thompson August 30th 07 04:55 PM

wrote:

Just went through a tight electricity supply-demand squeeze again. This
graph looks like it was a real close call.

Doing our part on conservation here, 91F in the lab, soldering away,
occasionally wiping the sweat off before it drips onto the boards.

How close does the "Available Resources Forecast" come to real resources?

--

Boris Mohar

Enough that they will start rolling blackouts. It happened a few years
ago. Areas would get a loss of power for about 1 hour. At any given
time, close to a quarter to a half of California's generation capacity
is off-line for maintenance and other reasons.

Looks like Joerg's graph shows just that. Note the "step-down" from
52,000 to 45,000 at the beginning of the graph.

Plus, bad policies in
Sacramento and stupid voters (deregulation) haven't helped.

And greenies against everything... no fossil fuel powered stations...
and nuclear is BAD... just cause ;-)

Shock of all shocks, we got rain, thunder and lightning in So. Cal
last night. That's extremely rare!

---
Mark

Last night WAS strange... we had lots of lightning and thunder here,
but NO rain.

...Jim Thompson

Joerg August 30th 07 05:08 PM

Stephen J. Rush wrote:

[...]

And then some of them tout electric cars. It's pathetic, many of them
don't have a clue.

Joerg August 30th 07 05:16 PM

wrote:

Just went through a tight electricity supply-demand squeeze again. This
graph looks like it was a real close call.

Doing our part on conservation here, 91F in the lab, soldering away,
occasionally wiping the sweat off before it drips onto the boards.

How close does the "Available Resources Forecast" come to real resources?

--

Boris Mohar

Enough that they will start rolling blackouts. It happened a few years
ago. Areas would get a loss of power for about 1 hour. At any given
time, close to a quarter to a half of California's generation capacity
is off-line for maintenance and other reasons.

Looks like Joerg's graph shows just that. Note the "step-down" from
52,000 to 45,000 at the beginning of the graph.

Then there is the effect of "Oh, it's hot here in the other state as
well so we'll need this chunk of power ourselves now".

Yesterday it looked like we really came close. Less than 200MW reserves
and that is razor thin when you look at the total. Part of Modesto had a
blackout for other reasons. I guess without that we would have seen the
lights go out in other places.

Plus, bad policies in
Sacramento and stupid voters (deregulation) haven't helped.

One problem in the beginning of this "energy market scheme" was the reg
not to be able to enter into long term hedge contracts.

And greenies against everything... no fossil fuel powered stations...
and nuclear is BAD... just cause ;-)

But they want electric cars. Ha! That would be utter disaster for CA
right now.

[...]

Jim Thompson August 30th 07 07:08 PM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:08:13 -0500, flipper wrote:

[snip]

Rather, I think it's more that 'greenies' (and to some degree
'liberals' in general) have an almost Cinderella like, bippity boppity
boo, 'faith' that 'perfect solutions' (not my job to know how) exist
and the only real reason they aren't in place already is due to some
'conspiracy' (and the 'ignorance' of the 'duped' who don't share the
same fairy tale).

[snip]

The proper term is "Pollyanna"....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollyanna

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson August 30th 07 08:47 PM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:45:01 -0500, flipper wrote:

[snip]

Besides, I really really wanted to use bippity boppity boo and I could
just see fairy godmother turning pumpkins into 'green' power plants ;)

Sno-o-o-o-ort ;-)

...Jim Thompson

ian field August 30th 07 09:26 PM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

"flipper" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:08:47 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:08:13 -0500, flipper wrote:

[snip]

Rather, I think it's more that 'greenies' (and to some degree
'liberals' in general) have an almost Cinderella like, bippity boppity
boo, 'faith' that 'perfect solutions' (not my job to know how) exist
and the only real reason they aren't in place already is due to some
'conspiracy' (and the 'ignorance' of the 'duped' who don't share the
same fairy tale).

[snip]

The proper term is "Pollyanna"....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollyanna

...Jim Thompson

I thought about using that but the basic 'happy', 'friendly',
Pollyannaish character that sees good in just about everything,
including people, didn't seem to comport with the 'vast conspiracy'
outlook of most greenies/liberals and, not the only but, some of the
'un friendliest' things I've run across are greenies/liberals who
think you're not.

With Cinderella I was thinking of the Disney version with "some day
your Prince will come" (he does) as "some day your perfect solution
will come" (it will) and 'good things' appearing by 'magic' despite
the 'conspiracy' of evil step sisters.

Even so it's still infinitely more 'positive' than your, well, I'll
say 'hardcore', greenie/liberal because Cinderella doesn't have to
'fight' and 'crush' the 'vast array of evil forces permeating all
aspects of society'. Instead, 'good things' just 'naturally' happen to
'happy', friendly', people, or they transform others by simply being
happy, friendly, people, and, in that respect, both are the antithesis
of (hardcore) greenie/liberals who behave as if any diversity of
opinion is proof of 'evil' and an 'enemy' to be despised, ridiculed,
run out of town on a rail and/or 'eliminated' by whatever means.

Besides, I really really wanted to use bippity boppity boo and I could
just see fairy godmother turning pumpkins into 'green' power plants ;)

Its the Dr Zeuss generation!

Joerg August 30th 07 10:00 PM

wrote:

[...]

Whereas guys like us are still of the omnipotent and most magnificent
Gyro Gearloose generation. You need it - we'll build it. Whatever it takes.

regn.pickford August 30th 07 11:27 PM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

"Stephen J. Rush" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm a lurker to this group.
For the conspiracy people, the five messages before this one
(that I can see headers for) are "no longer available on this server"

Jim Thompson August 30th 07 11:37 PM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:27:37 GMT, "regn.pickford"
wrote:

[...]

Do you live in California? The Terminator will be paying a visit ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Joerg August 30th 07 11:40 PM

regn.pickford wrote:

[...]

That begs the question: Who controlleth thy server? But seriously,
binaries groups aren't kept that long. Mine (SBC Global) still has all
messages.

RST Engineering \(jw\) August 31st 07 12:18 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

And if we had dumped the national treasure chest into hot fusion (the real
stuff, hydrogen and helium) instead of bloodying the sands in the middle
east over the last ten years, we'd have all the clean power you could ever
hope to have.

The uranium cycle isn't particularly dirty if you do it right, but the stuff
is hard to come by, is located in some rather unfriendly territory for the
most part, and is expensive. Hydrogen is available at the kitchen sink.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

Bob Quintal August 31st 07 12:44 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

flipper wrote in
:

On 30 Aug 2007 00:45:12 GMT, Bob Quintal
wrote:
And the grid in California was f#%ked by the right-wing
capitalists like Ken Lay when they forced deregulation on hte
unsuspecting weenies (to use your term)..

No, the problem is the CA legislature 'called' the 'restructuring'
deregulation but didn't deregulate. Instead, they layered on a new
set of truly bizarre regulations.

That's your opinion. And it's a misinformed one.

Richard The Dreaded Libertarian August 31st 07 01:08 AM

Jim Thompson wrote:

How come California has such issues? Did you let the leftist weenies
ruin your state ?:-)

Yes, Jim. Everything that's not in line with the neocon dogma is the fault
of the "leftist weenies".

Careful, Jim! Better check under the bed tonight for Leftist Weenies! ;-)

Maybe. Power plants are supposedly evil, so practically none are built.
Nuclear is even more evil in the eyes of enviro-freaks. No wait, that's
nucular, ain't it ...?

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/.../23ramirez.jpg

Cheers!
Rich

Joerg August 31st 07 01:08 AM

RST Engineering (jw) wrote:

And if we had dumped the national treasure chest into hot fusion (the real
stuff, hydrogen and helium) instead of bloodying the sands in the middle
east over the last ten years, we'd have all the clean power you could ever
hope to have.

The uranium cycle isn't particularly dirty if you do it right, but the stuff
is hard to come by, is located in some rather unfriendly territory for the
most part, and is expensive.

The problem is where to put it when used. Stashing it way down some
mountain isn't going to cut it.

Hydrogen is available at the kitchen sink.

After investing some major amount of energy to get it split out ;-)

Joerg August 31st 07 01:10 AM

wrote:

"Stephen J. Rush" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Nah, he did a good job so far. Since he took over there was not a single
rolling blackout here.

Jim Thompson August 31st 07 01:21 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:08:38 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

RST Engineering (jw) wrote:

And if we had dumped the national treasure chest into hot fusion (the real
stuff, hydrogen and helium) instead of bloodying the sands in the middle
east over the last ten years, we'd have all the clean power you could ever
hope to have.

The uranium cycle isn't particularly dirty if you do it right, but the stuff
is hard to come by, is located in some rather unfriendly territory for the
most part, and is expensive.

The problem is where to put it when used. Stashing it way down some
mountain isn't going to cut it.

Hydrogen is available at the kitchen sink.

After investing some major amount of energy to get it split out ;-)

A leftist weenie would ignore that... hydrogen is FREE isn't it ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Richard The Dreaded Libertarian August 31st 07 01:22 AM

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:36:32 -0500, Stephen J. Rush wrote:

[...]

What galls me is the way they pulled off the ozone hoax. OOh! This gas
that's 4 times as heavy as air magically levitates (conveniently skipping
over the smog ozone in the cities), migrates to the South Pole, and
destroys ozone.

What an incredible load of crap!

And the whole "science community" seems to have swallowed it hook, line,
and sinker!

Where do those idiots think the original ozone comes from? What replaces
what gets broken down? Do they know that ozone decomposes spontaneously?

The ozone isn't what "protects" us from UV. It's the oxygen. The oxygen
stops a UV photon, which dissociates the O2 into 2 O, which atoms then
eagerly oxidize the nearest oxygen molecule into ozone.

In Other Words, ozone is the _result_ of UV being absorbed by plain
ol' ordinary O2, molecular oxygen.

There's no ozone over antarctita because there's so little incident
sunlight, and ozone breaks down spontaneously anyway.

When they discovered this "hole" the only reason it could be so astounding
is that nobody's ever looked before.

And don'f forget the Auroras (streams of charged particles from the Solar
Wind), which have to be hell on ozone stability.

But I guess they've thrown real science down the dumper long ago. Sigh.

Thanks,
Rich

Apostrophe Police August 31st 07 01:25 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:40:00 -0700, Joerg wrote:

That begs the question:

NO IT DOES NOT "BEG THE QUESTION"!!!!!!!!!!!

It "raises" the question
It "demands" the question
It "asks" the question
It "calls for" the question

etc.

But to "beg the question", you would have had to make an assertion,
then use your own assertion as if it's proof of itself.

Thanks,
--
Rich Grise, Self-Appointed Chief,
Apostrophe Police

And appartnely Grammar/Syntax/Style Police as well. ;-)

Joerg August 31st 07 01:37 AM

wrote:

RST Engineering (jw) wrote:

And if we had dumped the national treasure chest into hot fusion (the real
stuff, hydrogen and helium) instead of bloodying the sands in the middle
east over the last ten years, we'd have all the clean power you could ever
hope to have.

The uranium cycle isn't particularly dirty if you do it right, but the stuff
is hard to come by, is located in some rather unfriendly territory for the
most part, and is expensive.

The problem is where to put it when used. Stashing it way down some
mountain isn't going to cut it.

Hydrogen is available at the kitchen sink.

After investing some major amount of energy to get it split out ;-)

A leftist weenie would ignore that... hydrogen is FREE isn't it ?:-)

It's like Ethanol from corn. Just about now people begin to realize that
food prices are starting to climb. Even for stuff they never thought
about. Such as milk that comes from cows who are fed corn which has now
become expensive ...

Joerg August 31st 07 01:39 AM

Apostrophe Police wrote:

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:40:00 -0700, Joerg wrote:

That begs the question:

NO IT DOES NOT "BEG THE QUESTION"!!!!!!!!!!!

It "raises" the question
It "demands" the question
It "asks" the question
It "calls for" the question

etc.

But to "beg the question", you would have had to make an assertion,
then use your own assertion as if it's proof of itself.

I thought I made an assertion, here. - My server still has those posts.

Now I feel as if I just got a ticket ...

Jim Thompson August 31st 07 02:04 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

wrote:

RST Engineering (jw) wrote:

[...]

Hopefully it'll cost the DemocRats some seats.

...Jim Thompson

Joerg August 31st 07 02:05 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

Bob Quintal wrote:

flipper wrote in
:

wrote:

And the grid in California was f#%ked by the right-wing
capitalists like Ken Lay when they forced deregulation on hte
unsuspecting weenies (to use your term)..

No, the problem is the CA legislature 'called' the 'restructuring'
deregulation but didn't deregulate. Instead, they layered on a new
set of truly bizarre regulations.

That's your opinion. And it's a misinformed one.

And, if I may ask, how do you know that?

Chuck Harris August 31st 07 02:31 AM

RST Engineering (jw) wrote:
And if we had dumped the national treasure chest into hot fusion (the real
stuff, hydrogen and helium) instead of bloodying the sands in the middle
east over the last ten years, we'd have all the clean power you could ever
hope to have.

Is your name Lew Strauss by any chance?

Strauss was the former chairman of the AEC. He coined the phrase that
Nuclear power would make electricity too cheap to meter.

After tons of money were dumped into the development of nuclear
energy, guess what? It wasn't too cheap to meter.

The hot fusion guys have succeeded in burning through all of the money
that has been provided to them thus far, and they are no closer to breaking
even than they were 15 years ago. I truly believe that they could absorb
the entire budget of the free world and still not develop commercially
viable fusion.

The uranium cycle isn't particularly dirty if you do it right, but the stuff
is hard to come by, is located in some rather unfriendly territory for the
most part, and is expensive. Hydrogen is available at the kitchen sink.

We have more fissionable material than we know what to do with. Availability
of nuclear fuel is not the problem. The problem is that without breeder reactors
we have no good way of disposing of the spent fuel rods. With breeders, we could
in theory extract much more energy, but that would involve making plutonium, and
plutonium scares Hollywood actresses, politicians and regulators.

Fusion fuel becomes much more expensive when you have to cherry pick the
molecules so that they have just the right combination of neutrons and
protons to fuse. Household water isn't going to do it with anything that
has been contemplated thus far. DiTritium Oxide, perhaps.

-Chuck

PhattyMo August 31st 07 11:46 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

Herbert John "Jackie" Gleason wrote:

wrote:

Yes, that's true. L.A. gets its top-off from our APS Nuclear facility
in Wintersburg, Arizona.

...Jim Thompson

Bull****. LA gets it from the BPS DC Intertie.

Your **** is trivial dribs and drabs by comparison.

Your ignorance is surpassed only by the size of the Al-Gore-dick in
your mouth.

Who=the-**** do you think feeds the intertie?

...Jim Thompson

NOT Arizona, you retarded ****.

Do you even know what the BPA is?

The damn dam,man!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnevi...Administration

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_DC_Intertie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_66
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_15

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylmar%...%2C_California

Etc,etc,yadda,yadda....

ian field August 31st 07 09:37 PM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

"flipper" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:26:37 GMT, "ian field"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Jiminy Cricket!, did you just confer a doctorate on Zeus or elevate
Seuss to Mount Olympus?

Nah - just posted before checking the spelling.

Bob Quintal August 31st 07 10:38 PM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

flipper wrote in
:

On 30 Aug 2007 23:44:17 GMT, Bob Quintal
wrote:

flipper wrote in
m:

wrote:
And the grid in California was f#%ked by the right-wing
capitalists like Ken Lay when they forced deregulation on hte
unsuspecting weenies (to use your term)..

No, the problem is the CA legislature 'called' the
'restructuring' deregulation but didn't deregulate. Instead,
they layered on a new set of truly bizarre regulations.

That's your opinion.

Of course.

And it's a misinformed one.

On the contrary, I looked at the 'restructuring' before forming
any opinion, as opposed to you just assuming, without the
slightest shred of evidence to support the notion,. that anyone
who has a different opinion 'must' be 'misinformed'.

California's problem was exacerbated by power grid gaming but the
FERC report pointed out that the ensuing market manipulation was
only possible because of the bizarre regulatory system the
legislature created.

Whose lobbyists created that bizarre regulatory system? It was
lobbyists from the power brokers, that's who.
Why? so that they could use the loopholes they put into the
legislation in order to manipulate the market.

Just as one example, California regulations artificially capped
the price for in state production while out of state production
was not, thereby creating a forced "two prices for the exact same
product." Guess what that leads to.

It leads to utility companies making a mint by buying cheap and
selling high.

RST Engineering \(jw\) September 1st 07 02:53 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

Well, my university thought I knew a damned thing about it when they gave me
my degree in nuclear physics, but I can always be taught a thing or two. I
purposely made it "simple" for those who don't have the background. I'll be
happy to give you a thesis or a dissertation, but I think it somewhat
inappropriate in these groups. You can't presume a group dedicated to
drawing and displaying schematics can do the uranium fission equation(s).

And Joerg, you are correct when you say it takes a fair amount of energy to
dissasociate the oxygen from the hydrogen, but the energy budget (when we
figure out the horrendous problem of containing the fusion genie) is
balanced far to the right of the equation.

And the fellow who talked about England, while money can't BUY an answer, it
can sure as hell make it an attractive date.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

"Bungalow Bill" wrote in message

Again... You make it sound so simple, but you don't know a damned
thing about it with remarks like that.

Eeyore September 1st 07 04:31 AM

Electricity in CA, another close call - CalifornicatedAgain.gif

Bungalow Bill wrote:

The goddamned war didn't do anything but make the asswupes that commit
terror acts wake the **** up to the fact that we ain't gonna take it.

It seems to have provoked them further actually.

Graham