Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

Default Purchase Advice Needed

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:30:24 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm pondering purchasing a new laptop... my old Vaio is absolutely
ancient, heavy, and slow (800MHz).

Specifically I'm looking at the ThinkPad X61s notebook.

Anyone experienced with this product?

Alternates?

I bought a System76 Gazelle as part of my Big Linux Experiment. I'm
loving it so far (but then, I haven't tried running any Windows apps yet).

Oh, you probably didn't mean _that_ alternate, did you?

I've ordered a ThinkPad X61s.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design
qrk qrk is offline

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm pondering purchasing a new laptop... my old Vaio is absolutely
ancient, heavy, and slow (800MHz).

Specifically I'm looking at the ThinkPad X61s notebook.

Anyone experienced with this product?

Alternates?

I bought a System76 Gazelle as part of my Big Linux Experiment. I'm
loving it so far (but then, I haven't tried running any Windows apps yet).

Oh, you probably didn't mean _that_ alternate, did you?

I've ordered a ThinkPad X61s.

...Jim Thompson

What operating system? I wanna see how Vista does on simulations.

---
Mark
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm pondering purchasing a new laptop... my old Vaio is absolutely
ancient, heavy, and slow (800MHz).

Specifically I'm looking at the ThinkPad X61s notebook.

Anyone experienced with this product?

Alternates?

I bought a System76 Gazelle as part of my Big Linux Experiment. I'm
loving it so far (but then, I haven't tried running any Windows apps yet).

Oh, you probably didn't mean _that_ alternate, did you?

I've ordered a ThinkPad X61s.

...Jim Thompson

What operating system? I wanna see how Vista does on simulations.

---
Mark

Charlie Edmondson was unsure about PSpice and Vista, so I ordered it
with XP Pro.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:57:28 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
I'm pondering purchasing a new laptop... my old Vaio is absolutely
ancient, heavy, and slow (800MHz).

Specifically I'm looking at the ThinkPad X61s notebook.

Anyone experienced with this product?

Alternates?

I bought a System76 Gazelle as part of my Big Linux Experiment. I'm
loving it so far (but then, I haven't tried running any Windows apps yet).

Oh, you probably didn't mean _that_ alternate, did you?

I've ordered a ThinkPad X61s.

...Jim Thompson

What operating system? I wanna see how Vista does on simulations.

---
Mark

Charlie Edmondson was unsure about PSpice and Vista, so I ordered it
with XP Pro.

...Jim Thompson

Smart move, IMHO.

Nice and portable. I'll be interested to see how you do with the 12"
screen.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

When it's home on the KVM that won't be a problem. Traveling I tend
to use the client's conference room projector to demonstrate things.

With today's airline seat spacing I can't even open my Vaio anymore
:-(

So we'll see how I can do with a 12" screen.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design

"Jamie" t schreef in
bericht ...
Nico Coesel wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

Nico Coesel wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Would you care to elaborate on that ?

Just which components are different and what differences do they make ?

In consumer grade equipment usually the hardware is cheap and crappy.

Tell me who makes these crappy hard drives, memory, display contollers,
LCDS,
CPUs and heck knows what else for the consumer market ?

Any manufacturor. This is a well known example from the automobile
industry: Mitsubishi and Hyundai both produced a van with an identical
diesel engine from Mitsibishi. Well, almost identical. The engine for
the Hyundai van (H100) was produced faster with less accuracy and
cheaper components. The Mitsubishi van (L200) used engines which where
produced slower and more accurate with more expensive parts. The end
result: the engine for the Hyundai usually didn't last 100kkm (62k
miles) while the engine used in the Mitsubishi vans easely lasted
300kkm (187k miles). Even though something comes out of the same
factory and looks the same doesn't mean it is the same quality.

Yeah, I know all about that. I owned a Summit Eagle wagon, Made for
Chrysler in the Mitsubishi plant using a Mitsubishi engine but sold
by a GM dealer. That was the agreement the Japs had with them ect..

Mitsubishi also made a wagon of the same exact style, along with the
one Chrysler sold them self's that was made in canada using a canadian
engine.(Colt Vista) or something like that.

You should have kept the Colt XP.