Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default LC Oscillator

Pictures available in ABSE
The top trace (yellow) is taken between C4 and R2. The bottom trace (cyan)
is taken at the base of the transistor. There is a switchercad file, but
the simulation will show allot of distortion that really isn't present in
the prototype circuit, because of lots of circuit capactance I suspect. R1
was something I was playing with to try and tame the voltage across L1/C3
being applied to the base.

Hello all,

I was tinkering with this LC oscillator (Colpitts/Clapp) this weekend. I
arrived at the values of C1 and C2 empirically after starting with a crystal
oscillator circuit. The values in the original circuit created a horrid
waveform that looked allot like the simulation. After much tinkering around
and simulating, I come to the conclusion that getting a perfect waveform is
nearly impossible, especially with big swing. It seems that the transistor
likes to take a bite out of the right half of the peak of the wave.

What is the secret to beautiful waveforms? Do I need another LC resonator
on the output to fix it up? I mean, I'm getting a pretty nice wave now, but
there is still some distortion that you can just see at the top of the peaks
on the yellow trace.

How do you control the peak voltages of an LC resonattor without mangling
the waveform? The waveform at the junction of L1/C3 is of course quite
beautiful, how do I get it from there to the output? ;-)

I realize that I will need a buffer stage(s) before I can make any real use
of the signal, but I want the input to the buffer to be as perfect as
possible.

Thanks :-)

Attached Images
File Type: bmp NewFile1.bmp (146.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: bmp schematic.bmp (71.5 KB, 68 views)

LC Oscillator Anthony Fremont Electronic Schematics 11 March 25th 07 02:34 PM
Simple Oscillator west Electronics 1 December 10th 06 12:56 AM
3.579 MHz clock oscillator 4 pin Farce Milverk Electronics 1 August 12th 06 05:21 AM
Oscillator stops when probed. David C. Partridge Electronics Repair 6 October 20th 05 08:56 AM
Polarad Audio Oscillator SPN Jacques St-Pierre Electronics Repair 3 August 24th 05 07:46 AM