Mary Fisher

Default Loft conversion of a bungalow

"Hugo Nebula" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:48:50 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
"Mary Fisher" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I wonder if building regs inspectors thoroughly consider the foundation
aspect when allowing vertical extensions.

Surely, if the foundation aspect had thoroughly been investigated there
would have been objections?

The additional loading on most foundations from a loft conversion is
usually minimal compared to what's there already. Unless there is an
arrangement of beams and columns which concentrates a load at a
particular point, the foundations aren't usually checked by the BCO.

When there ARE foundations! But while the new load of the structure might
not be any greater there'll be a greter face to winds and when the extension
is loaded with furniture and people, possibly storage and the like it will
add to the whole load.

Building Control don't "allow" work to be carried out; their role is
to determine whether the work being carried out complies with the
technical requirements of the Building Regulations. I often put it
as, "Planning determine the who, what and where; Building Control
determine the how".

Thanks for that explanation.

If the existing property is showing signs of movement, that's a matter
that should be addressed _before_ any loft conversion is considered.
One would presume that if the conversion was being paid for by a
secured loan, even a valuation survey would pick it up.

I suspect, knowing the family, that there won't be a loan. They're also
doing the work 'in-house'. Very well, I must say, from what I can see.

Mary